“Clean, well kept, 'bigger' hotel”

Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel
Ranked #26 of 74 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed March 23, 2014

When you're headed to the city of Palm Springs (not counting the surrounding cities), your options are small B&B's (dozens in the city) or a few of the bigger hotels (Hyatt, Hilton, Hard Rock, Casino, Courtyard or Renaissance). If you're going to target a bigger place, the Renaissance is a really good choice. It's close enough to downtown, so that you can walk easily. Plus they have a shuttle that will take you and pick you up. It's a big place, spread out. Considering it's about 20+ years old, they've kept it up very nicely. The service, while not Four Seasons quality, is very good. Because it was our 25th anniversary, they upgraded us to a pool facing suite with a balcony. I'd highly suggest that type of room. It may cost a little more, but worth it. It's not really a suite, more of a large room.

While they call it a pool view, you also get a view of the Mountains behind the pool. The breakfast was standard Marriott, meaning fine, but not spectacular. One disappointment as a Platinum member was there was no concierge room - odd for a larger hotel next to the convention center. While I haven't stayed at the other bigger hotels, this one looks more current than the others.

Room Tip: Reserve a suite, high floor, on the east side (facing the mountain) with a balcony.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
mg87, General Manager at Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2014

Thank you for the review of our hotel, I really appreciate it! I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I will save your review for our ownership group as I too feel the need to add a concierge/executive level lounge-great idea!

Reviewed March 20, 2014

I stay here annually for a conference. It's been hit or miss for the past ten years.

However, this is the first time that I have stayed that they downgraded my room upon arrival. "I see you've booked a junior suite, might I suggest you stay in our double queen instead." What? The room key situation is a disaster. Most keys don't work and need to be re-keyed a few times, or call security - no show - or trekking back to front desk, or 23 attempts...

And the ironic front desk dinner suggestions:
Desk: Do you like Greek food?
Me: No.
Desk: Well, try the Greek restaurant around the corner, it's great!

The bell hop, Juan was amazing, though. He promptly and efficiently helped me with my bags, gave me directions, greeted me...outstanding customer service. Thanks, Juan.

• Stayed: March 2014
Aaron A, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Thank your for taking the time to review your experience. We cannot improve or change without your feedback.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

A pleasant stay within a well kept property. The grounds are nicely maintained and easy to access from any part of the ground floor. Rooms were well maintained and quiet. All of the employees were polite and helpful. This hotel is close to downtown and its restaurants, but a car is helpful.
Good drinks from the bar and simple food choices for lite snacks. Sitting outside near the fire pit was a great place for an evening drink.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, I am so happy you enjoyed your visit! If you could contact me at martingreenwood@remingtonhotels.com, I would love to find out your room number so we can have engineering check out the thermostat in the room. there is no such device limiting the AC to the setting you mentioned, perhaps it was a programming error. i am so sorry for this inconvenience.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

The Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel is a class act. The hotel is pristine, the grounds are beautiful and I spent every possible minute sitting by the pool, looking up at the gently swaying palm trees and stunning mountains in the background. (I was there for business, but was also escaping from back-to-back snow storms in Colorado.) That said, it was my interactions with the staff that made this visit special. Everyone I interacted with—from Lead Navigator Will Harris to the cleaning staff I passed in the hallway—went out of their way to greet me and to ensure that all my needs were being met. I was particularly impressed with Food and Beverage Director Chris Simeone & Mr. Harris—I have severe diet restrictions, and they were able to help me navigate the hotel menus and the local organic restaurants. This was a stellar trip, and I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the beautiful pool.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank BarbB_Evergreen

Thank you so much for your review and for the mentions of Will and Chris, we are lucky to have them as part of our team!

Reviewed March 15, 2014

Just returned from a 3 night stay. While the public areas were nice; lush grounds and palm trees, our bathroom was in need of a major update. When I first walked in I thought that the toilet was dirty but then I realized that the bowl was stained and scratched. Certainly not up to Marriott standards. This should have been replaced. The water in the tub/shower dripped creating a stain in the tub; not very appealing to look at. There was also some minor mold on the ceiling and some of the wallpaper was starting to peel off. And the water was extremely cloudy. The room itself was fine except the door to our balcony did not lock. Fortunately we were on the 4th floor. The bed was comfortable and the bedding was of good quality. The room was quiet as well. We ate a number of meals in the dining room and the food was good. Most of the servers were good as well. There were a couple of younger ones who seemed to need some additional training. We could walk to the center of town where there were numerous shops and restaurants. We did enjoy the warm and sunny weather. I'm not sure I would stay here again. If I did I would check out the room first and ask for a different one if the bathroom was not up to standards.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for providing such detailed feedback, I am sorry the issues you noticed were not caught by our maintenance team, we have procedures in place to inspect each room regularly and obviously this one slipped through the cracks. I am work on getting these corrected!

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Waited at the restaurant for dinner for a very long time
Understaffed
Begged waiter to take our order
Begged for a drink at dinner
Other table actually yelled at waitress and told them to get it together

• Stayed: March 2014

I am sorry that your service in the restaurant was so slow. We have adjusted staffing levels as a result of your feedback. Thank you for the comments.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

The hotel overall is in good shape and is clean. The gym is standard and the pool is pretty awesome. The front desk staff and housekeeping was phenomenal. However, the service in the lobby lounge was atrocious. They forgot to ring in orders, drinks were wrong, and we waited FOREVER for everything. The staff was trying but totally inexperienced and it showed. But saving the worst for last...THE SPA. Do NOT go. In a word, this place is low-rent. My facial experience was subpar. The facialist did not remove my makeup at the beginning of, or during, the facials. Second, none of the steps or products were explained to me. My manicure-pedicure was decent, but the towels were old and felt like sandpaper. More generally, any conversation in any other room was perfectly audible. It's impossible to relax while hearing the front desk make sales pitches. The quality of this place is cheap, cheap, cheap. The staff was also friendly, but I would do yourself a favour and find another spa.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank HhaileyG
Rochelle C, Executive Office at Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback as it is comments from our guests that help us to constantly evaluate the services we provide. You can rest assured that your comments have been discussed with the appropriate department managers.

We have passed your comments onto the operators of the Spa and once again please accept our apologies for these inconveniences.

We look forward to your return visit.