“Good option, but didn't meet my expectations”

Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel
Ranked #25 of 75 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I guess I have higher standards for Renaissances. This is not a bad hotel by any means, just the worst Renaissance I've been to. Front desk was friendly, room was clean, yet very simplistic and a bit on the small side.

Location is okay, they do have complimentary shuttle bus to the shops and restaurants or you can walk for about 7-10 minutes to get there, not too bad, yet not ideal. I would not have a problem staying there again but when I get back to Palm Springs I'll try something different.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Aaron A, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. Thank you for your loyalty to Marriott and staying them all over the world. I can only imagine how many beautiful unique Renaissance hotels that you have stayed in. Thank you for your feedback regarding our hotel. I appreciate you letting me know.

I am happy to read that you were pleased with the hotel cleanliness and our service. We want to exceed our guest’s expectations and I am glad we did on most levels. My commitment is to work on any areas that any guest mentions. We could not improve or change without our guest’s feedback, so again, thank you so much for your review.

Thank you again for your loyalty to Marriott and for your feedback!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,645)

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Perfect spot for a December vacation. Great service, nice pool. Lucky for us it was pretty empty this time of the year! The outside fireplace is a nice area to spend an evening. We had a room with pool view and that was nice.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of your recent stay with us at the Renaissance Palm Springs. I am so happy that you were impressed with our hotel.

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and I hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We enjoyed our overnight stay at this hotel, the location was great, close to old downtown, the staff was extra helpful, our room was spacious, comfortable, had a big bathroom, comfy bed and a couch. And the price was very right. This is a big hotel so don't be surprised if you have to take a bit of a hike to get to your room and then back to the lounge or pool or back to your car. You'll be charged to park in their nearby lot, so you may want to explore other nearby free parking alternatives. Beautiful pool area with modern fire pits to take the edge off the winter's cool temps. Lovely all around. We'll be back.

Room Tip: If you're not into a lot of walking ask if your room could be near an elevator.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your recent stay at our Marriott. Our entire team strives to be the cleanest and friendliest hotel and I am delighted that we were just that. I am happy that is was a great experience!

I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay. Again, I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I hope to see you during your next stay in the Palm Springs area.

Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a group event. Weather was nice so used the pool area - good pool & hot tub. Chair cushions don't stay in place very well. The main bar & lobby were nice to hang out and dance in. Rooms good, junior suite gave us extra room to entertain people. Parking fee of $12/day not worth it, you can use the employee parking beside the hotel easily but occasionally it closes for events. Biggest gripe was only one set of elevators. This wouldn't be a big deal if stairs were available but they only led to outside so were essentially useless.

• Stayed: January 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience not only about your stay but your event experience at our hotel. I am delighted that you were impressed with the Renaissance Palm Springs and that our team really went above and beyond to ensure you had a great experience with Marriott.

Thank you again for choosing the Renaissance Palm Springs. We hope to see when you return to the Palm Springs area.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed over Christmas & had a geat time - the hotel was probably quieter at this time of year than other times so we we had the pool & hot tub to ourselves a lot! Nice hotel, nice rooms (request pool view) & great location as you can walk into Palm Springs - hope to make it back there again one day! Shame there is a parking fee for the hotel car park but you can't have everything!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to send in your review on your recent stay with us at the Renaissance Palm Springs. As a Marriott, we always want to be sure that we go above and beyond in every aspect of the guests stay.

Thank you again for sharing and hope to see you soon during your next visit to the Palm Springs area!

Reviewed January 4, 2014

You may be overwhelmed when you walk through the hotel entrance, but thats all you'll be. Channel 4 - four in a bed would love this place...... Other people's body hairs on th bathroom floor, the toilet roll holder falling out with each use. The carpet longing to be hoovered better around the beds. Draw knobs missing and loose, wardrobe door hinges broken and doors, difficult to manage.
Top (5th) floor, Billy Basic rooms. No safe (but you can lone one from the reception). View of the down and outs over the desert.... ln it's own entertaining with the police arrving on a daily basis to sort them out. Better than a pool view, the jury's still out!!
Gym: has an assortment of equipment, treadmills, bikes, cross-trainers, weight machines as well as free weights, Swiss-balls to. Shame the water machine is never full; so do take your own.
Pool: Heated, and around 20-ish metres across, good size, jacuzzi is also heated -however you'll be waiting a long time for the bubbles to arrive. Along with the towels poolside. Go early, and there are no clean, dry, tatty-holey towels for you. Later around 10-ish and the staff are neatly folding the tatty, holey pool towels. There are plenty of sunbeds to choose from too.
Remember your in the middle of a desert, during the day even in December it is hot for those from the UK. At night though, the temp drops a lot and it is really cold.
lf your in a large group say Hen / Stag party and the Brighton (UK) scene is your thing, this hotel caters well for you. lf your a family sadly not.
During the New Year / film festival, some rooms hold individual parties. lf it's on your floor, do not let your children wonder around unaccompanied because there are some characters around. that are NOT always that FUNNY!!!
The hotel should have a room folder, informing of the hotel services that it's provides. i.e. gym, pool, resturants, spa, laundry - sadly not. You have to keep asking the reception staff, for details. Neither do they sell international stamps, for your postcards. SHAME.
Palm Springs itself, once you have walked up the main street. Taken you picture with Monroe or Sunny......................... That's it. lt comes to life at night, along with the homeless and that's your lot.
Mount Jacinda (around 10,000 - ish ft) is a must. Go early. Take a packed lunch, decent walking shoes, water, some sweets, a hat and scarf. Go on the desert trail and see the veiws at the top. FANTASTIC. So is the journey to the top. Don't miss it. Treat yourself to a lizard or scorpion lolly.

Room Tip: room 5310 desert and back view of nothing-ness. Overated. You want a decent sun spot...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay with us at the Renaissance Palm Springs. Please accept my sincere apologies for you not being able to thoroughly enjoy your stay with us.
We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your comments and concerns with us. We cannot change or improve without your feedback, so thank you.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Honestly, I really liked this property. It's a Marriott property, and is kind of like a slightly upscale Courtyard by Marriott. The lobby area and pool area are beautiful and spacious. We were upgraded to a Jr Suite on the pet floor (only first floor is supposed to be pet friendly) so had a little more room - sitting area with TV, couch, desk, chair and fridge, with the bath in the middle and the bedroom area on the other side with another tv and the king sized bed. Also had an iPod dock on the nightstand, which was nice. There were a few little housekeeping issues with our room when we checked in (including makeup on one of the pillows and some random stuff on the bathroom sink, which was pretty gross). The staff were great and very helpful. We were there for New Year's Eve, and after we returned from our evening out, there was NO parking due to whatever was going on at the hotel. The valet was very nice and found us a space. Lobby staff always had a cheerful "good morning" for us. Really, my only complaint was about the $12 parking fee - $22 for valet and the $13 daily fee for in room wifi. Most of the nearby properties - including the Courtyard by Marriott right down the street - have free parking and free wifi. I understand that this is closer to downtown, but it still really bugged me. Even though I got a great rate on this hotel (through Hotwire), I probably won't stay again because of these fees. Petty maybe, but I hate being nickel and dimed at a hotel. While I could use the wifi in the lobby for free, I had to pay if I wanted it in my room. Free wifi is pretty standard these days. Even at Best Western properties. Get with the times, Marriott, and start offering these perks to your guests.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank whatupdere

Thank you for trying the Renaissance Palm Springs during your stay. I am happy to hear it was a overall good experience. With all full service properties in the downtown Palm springs, they charge resort fees etc that we do not charge. We only charge our guests for amenities used. Each brand is different and have different amenities and standards; such as the internet. As a Marriott, we follow brand standard requirements and have different benefits for our Elite members for their loyalty.

Thank you for trying the Marriott brand. I am happy to read that the hotel was clean and our team had great customer service. Again, I thank you for trying our hotel.