“Good not Great”

Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel
Ranked #21 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
“Good not Great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

A very nice property with lots of "curb appeal". The hotel staff is quit friendly and check in was quick and easy. The pool area is resort like and well maintained. I would recommend being on one of the upper floors for a better view. There were 2 negatives on the property. 1)there is only one set of escalators and if you are going to the ball rooms you have to walk the length of the hotel and then back. The stairwells are for "emergency exit only" so even if you're on a lower floor, there's not an efficient route around the hotel. 2)The room service menu is quite limited. Most hotels, especially Hilton's, have upgraded their in room menus but that hasn't yet been completed here. I also had multiple issues with my order (no fork!, wrong drink, no water). If you are a Marriott rewards member I would recommend it.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Aaron A, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Renaissance Palm Springs. I am delighted that you were impressed overall with our team. Our commitment is to work on any areas that any guest mentions. We could not improve or change without our guest’s feedback, so again, thank you so much for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
  • Hebrew first
Ukiah, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

Came for a business conference. Wish I had a view of the mountains instead of the parking lot, but the pool area, bar and rooms are nice. Very convenient to the airport. Call for the free hotel shuttle cause the local cabbies are jerks!

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am happy to read that you were pleased with the hotel and our service. We want to exceed our guest’s expectations and I am glad we did on all levels.

We look forward to your return to the Renaissance Palm Springs!
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Well; my name is Mark Winn; and my wife Kerry Winn and I not only love the Palm Springs Coachella Valley desert area for all the amenities it offers not only its residents but as important its visitors there year round. Now we have stayed during our many sojourns, trips there shall I say; at several different hotels/ resorts; from the Hilton Garden Inn in Rancho Mirage, to the villas in Palm Desert.... however we initially had not stayed in any of the hotels in Palm Springs proper shall I say as well. Until.... and this is the big one until... just two years ago; after a transition occurred at 888 East Tahquitz rd. what formerly had been a Wyndam property, in my understanding, was taken over by Marriot and became a Renaissance hotel.... Now I studied Italian literature in college and I know the Renaissance period in Italy was a re-birth.. of art, culture, literature etc.. so for Marriot to take the property over and become a Renaissance brand of their hotels in my opinion, the name and brand choice were a perfect fit.
And this hotel; which incidentally is just minutes from the heart of downtown Palm Springs is just incredible! It begins with its very eye appealing re-design, renovation from its former Wyndam days to its current very much eye appealing exterior layout. The entrance to the hotel is totally accessible off of East Tahquitz rd. and the lot is huge as well. The hotel itself is approximately 5 stories high and many of the rooms/ suites face the huge and most beautiful swimming pool and many if not most have really lovely balconies as well. But of course an exterior hotel/ resort does not a great vacation/getaway experience make without the staff/people and service with which they provide. This past weekend marked my wife and our third stay there. and during our prior visits; this time I noticed particularly a change in staff. And this is also particularly for the good and higher evolvement of the resort. The service; from our check in, to breakfast two days in a row in the really magnificently beautiful DATE restaurant there were just outstanding!!! And staff members actually smile and say hello rather than you speaking to them first and then they speak!! Unbelievable!! And my wife and high have done some living in our lives prior to being married and we both have experienced service with a scowl!! Well, that is noticeably absent here!! And the food, in the restaurant, and the drinks in the bar are just great too!!

In conclusion; I forgot to mention the fact that this hotel is also literally; especially since it is situated near downtown Palm Springs; is nestled quite close to what is known as the San Jacinto moutains. And for me.. mountains... add an air of peace and tranquility..... and trust me.... if that happens to be some of what you want and desire especially in a Palm Springs-Coachella Valley resort getaway... yet close as well to the nightlife of downtown.... the Renaissance... offers it.

Sincerely, Mark A. Winn

Room Tip: Most rooms which face south toward the swimming pool and the San Jacinto Mts. ergo Downtown Palm Spr...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MarkTwain2013
Dear Mr. Winn,

Thank you so much for taking the time to submit your review on Tripadvisor. WOW! Thank you for your wonderful accolades. As a Marriott, we always want to be sure that we go above and beyond in every aspect of the guests stay. I am thrilled that our staff are true examples of our spirit to serve our guests.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel and our staff. I am so happy that you saw that we all love what we do.

We look forward to you returning soon to Palm Springs!
Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights and found it to be brilliant! Staff were attentive and helpful. Our room was upgraded to a junior suite as we requested a room with a view. View was superb too - overlooking mountains. Beautiful watching the sun set. Would recommend this hotel and definitely stay there again!

• Stayed September 2013
Aaron A, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding the friendly service you encountered through out the hotel. We are all dedicated to making sure each guest has a wonderful stay and I will be sure to share your experience with everyone. I am happy to hear we were able to upgrade your room and glad you enjoyed the view from your room.

Thank you for recommending us and stating that you would stay with us in the future as well. We all hope to see you again when you visit the Palm Springs area!
Redlands, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

This hotel is my favorite spot to get away for 2-3 days. It is walking distance to shops, restaurants, and across the street from a movie theater. The staff is helpful and rooms are clean. The pool is huge so that even if the hotel is booked, there is plenty of room to enjoy the water. The weekend brunch is excellent and well priced. I have also stayed her for business.

Room Tip: They have late checkout if the hotel is not very crowded!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Aaron A, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review regarding your recent stay with us at the Renaissance Palm Springs. Thank you for your accolades about the hotel and our staff. Our mission is to exceed our guest expectations and glad to hear we achieved that. I shared your great comments with our staff as well.

I know you have numerous options for lodging and thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Renaissance and your loyalty as well. I will see you soon when your return to the Palm Springs area. Have a great day!
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed with my mother and 5 year old son during Labor Day Weekend. There were many fantastic surprises during our stay, so I will make it as short and clear as possible:
Pros:
1. Arrived on a Friday and was greeted or acknowledged with a smile by most of the staff we passed. Additionally, everyone we passed (mostly everyone), greeted us or acknowledge us with a smile.
2. We were gratefully upgraded to a poolside room on the 4th floor, which was awesome!
3. Majority of the Renaissance staff we encountered were very helpful, fast, efficient, knowledgeable, and friendly...in particular,
a)Sofia/Miguel were AWESOME servers in the Date restaurant.
b) Daniela the hostess was soooo accommodating, friendly, & helpful.
c) Front desk staff were very cool, too! Specifically, Aaron Alexander and Alyssa...there was also a bellhop/parking middle age gentleman and black gentleman who were both really attentive and helpful upon my arrival, so that was nice!
4. My son has autism and the hotel/staff in general are very accommodating to this. For example, my son has VERY particular food issues and we usually bring his food to restaurants, to avoid having to spend money on a dish he may not eat. Well, we tried ordering a pizza at Date and of course he couldn't handle the "spots" on the pizza (marks on the cheese), despite it being REALLY good. So, we ordered chx strips (which he LOVED). Normally, we would've, of course, paid for both dishes...but the restaurant (Sofia) had comp'd it for us because they wanted us to be fully satisfied. We were really grateful for that...
5. The pool was AWESOME, my son swam for 2 1/2 hours straight...It did get a bit murky as it got more crowded (which I don't think was caused by the saltwater system), BUT the next day, the pool was clean again...we saw a person cleaning in the AM.
6. The location was PERFECT...so close to the main street! You can walk or take the hotel shuttle...
7. The hotel was pretty too!
8. Great poolside service...and good food choices to try: the Mo Burger (yummmmm), homemade chips and dip, and Cesar Salad with Shrimp (the give 5 really nice sized shrimps)

CONS:
1. Server at Date (Christopher) : Not very friendly with literally no facial expression (pokerface), could barely hear him cuz he spoke so low, was SUPPOSED to take care of our table when Sofia had to leave, and not ONCE came to the table to see how we were doing (everyone else around us came to our table though, so they made up for his neglect). Also, ordered on the phone from him...NOT helpful. Granted, he did find out if we could order and pick up food that was on the room service menu, when I received the food the sauced spilled on other food because he did not bother to cover it...overall, needs to improve his customer service skills, especially when EVERYONE around him significantly surpasses his quality of service ... sorry to be so harsh, but when it's that obvious, I gotta mention it.
2. Cleaning people came later in the day/late afternoon, which we ended up telling them not to bother, because we were already settling for the day. This might have occurred because we were on the 4th floor??? BUT they did bring us towels and toilet paper pretty fast when requested.
3. This is probably minor, but there were little stains on the fitted sheet of our bed...and it looked like they did not change it prior to our arriving in the room (looked wrinkled with little lint balls). Although, like I said this was minor to us.

We really loved our stay and will definitely be back for more, maybe even take advantage of the spa next time! Wish we could do the suites because those look awesome...maybe for a girls weekend or something!

Room Tip: Poolside or mountain side view rooms and on higher floors (4th or 5th).
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank trishabnot
Aaron A, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to send in your review on your recent stay with us at the Renaissance Palm Springs. As a Marriott, we always want to be sure that we go above and beyond in every aspect of the guests stay. People do create the experience and I know that having a wonderful, caring team to support our guests make this possible. Also, thank you for taking the time to mention them by name, they will be thrilled. I have shared this with our departmental managers and read your review during our morning stand-up meeting. We strive for our staff to be true examples of our spirit to serve our guests. They are fantastic and I will be sure they are recognized.

Thank you again for sharing and hope to see you soon during your next visit to the Palm Springs area!
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

The staff was attentive and nice. The room was modern and clean. There was technology built into the room which made iPad, iPhone, streaming easy.
Unfortunately, there was also on overall not family friendly vibe. The pool was crowded, loud, boozy, and smokey. Yes, people were smoking electric cigarettes but still...

There was a serious shortage of umbrellas and not a single one around the kiddy splash pool. The splash pool was bug filled and the skimmer was broken.

Sigh... The restaurant didn't even have a kiddy menu.

Overall, just not what we were looking for but it was only place available that accepted dogs.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am happy to read that you were pleased with the hotel rooms and our staff service. We want to exceed our guest’s expectations and I am glad we did on some levels. Our commitment is to work on any areas that any guest mentions. We could not improve or change without our guest’s feedback, so again, thank you so much for your review.

Thank you again for staying with us and for your feedback!