“Good for a Family Vacation-Iffy for a Quiet Place to Relax”

Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel
Ranked #25 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Orange County,CA
“Good for a Family Vacation-Iffy for a Quiet Place to Relax”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I stay at 3-4 different Renaissance properties a year for business and vacation travel. I would rank this one as "average" compared to other Renaissance properties and the price you'll pay. On this occasion, my stay at the Renaissance-Palm Springs was for business. On the plus side, my room was large and could easily accommodate a family of four. It had a large living room with a pull-out couch and a good desk for working. It has a large pool and the gym was adequate for a standard work out. On the downside the room looked a little "tired". The carpet was a bit worn and furniture a little dated. I ordered room service for dinner and my turkey club was "okay" and the fries were cold-not to the standard of room service meals I've had at other Marriott properties, in particular a Renaissance. The property was a little load, but I would attribute that to the beginning of Spring Break (lots of kids) and convention people. As the title of my review indicated, if my kids were still young I could see spending a few days with the family here. If you're looking for a quiet place to relax, you might look elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank NJSOrangeCounty
Rochelle C, Executive Office at Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback from your last stay and for choosing the Renaissance Palm Springs for your lodging needs.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Martin Greenwood

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed here for a family vacation and did enjoy our stay with no issues, but I just felt there were some areas where this resort didn't hit the mark. Here is my review:

Staff/Service:
Everyone was helpful and friendly that we dealt with. I called down to the front desk with some questions and they were answered correctly and professionally. The waitresses at the pool and restaurant were nice and hard working. The rooms were stocked properly, and kept clean although I did have to order clean sheets for the pull-out bed because they appeared dirty.

Facilities:
The lobby was nice and open with a bar and lounge area with plenty of TV's. I used the exercise room which was adequate. The pool area was well stocked with towels and clean, with the exception of the green pads on the chairs which really need some attention. Our room was on the 4th floor on the side that overlooked the pool, but over the restaurant area's roof - not a great view, but not horrible. So, my biggest complaint was with the very thin walls. I could clearly hear conversations in the rooms next door to ours. Also the room doors were extremely noisy.

Restaurant/Bar:
We ate in the restaurant once and at the pool once. The restaurant food was okay, and the pool side food was not very appetizing. They also need a real kids menu. If you order drinks stick with beer or wine. The cocktails tasted fine, but were so lacking in alcohol you would have to drink $100 worth to get a buzz.

Location:
We didn't walk downtown, but it was close enough that you could. There is a movie theatre across the street and a great deli nearby, but not much else. The hotel is connected to the convention center if that is the purpose of your stay.

Overall:
This is a hotel that could be closer to a 4.5, with a little more attention to detail.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ustensai
Rochelle C, Executive Office at Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for detailed feedback and for making the Renaissance Palm Springs your choice for your lodging needs in Palm Springs.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This Renaissance gets better over the years. Stay here annually each spring for a large convention, and I am happier each year. The toiletries are now one of my fav brands - Aveda, so that is a great start. The rooms are perfect for business travel - lots and lots of outlets spread all over the large room. The bathroom is large with above average light and plenty of counter to spread out. The only cons are the rooms seem a tad dark to me (kinda common for Palm Springs from my experience), and the hotel dining rooms were totally overwhelmed by conference attendees at lunch breaks. My recommendation for management is that they check to see when the adjoining Conference Center breaks are and add more staff. I felt badly for the wait staff; they were very nice but totally inundated. Location is good overall, with nice pool.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for giving us your feedback and for making the Renaissance Palm Springs your choice for your lodging needs.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

The only thing that we did not enjoy about this hotel was not even their fault, too many ill behaved children and with poor parental supervision!! This is inside the hotel, out by the swimming pool it get s much worse! The hotel itself was very nice and clean and staff very kind and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013
LA
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a pretty standard Renaissance property with recently renovated and updated rooms and lobby. The pool is large and there are plenty of lounging areas to relax in. Service is mediocre but what do you expect from this chain. There are plenty of other boutique hotels in Palm Springs I would've preferred to stay at but we couldn't get a room during the Indian Wells tennis tournament so we settled for this place. Self parking was an additional $10 and if you get there too late, they run out of spaces forcing you to park in an auxiliary lot that is not far away, but is a little difficult to get to.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feed back after your recent stay with us. Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences you experienced.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

California
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Really nice lobby, but it goes downhill from there. We were upgraded to two Jr suites, and we were very disappointed. The rooms were old and not well-designed. There was a desk and couch in a kind of work area, and then a typical hotel room. I could touch the ceiling in the bathroom... Claustrophobic! One sink and tub shower with curtain and no hot water early in the morning...miserable. There was no safe and minimal drawer space. Didn't find the coffee maker til check out. I was told that I had a pool view, but the view was actually of the roof of another building. This hotel seemed like a depressing Hampton Inn to me.
The pool was nothing special - had lunch poolside which was average.
I called the front desk to ask to be moved, and was told that the rooms had been recently renovated, and that there weren't any nicer rooms. Period. We immediately began calling other hotels and moved after one night to the Riviera. The bellman Mark was very nice and talkative- very entertaining! Our bills were incorrect, but after about 10 phone calls, I got them straightened out. This hotel is definitely a business hotel, which works for work but not for play!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feed back from your recent stay. Please accept our apologies for not meeting your expectations. We will certainly discuss your comments with our staff in order to enhance the areas that we were lacking in.

We hope that you will return and allow us to try and regain your confidence.

Hayward, California
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We requested a "city view" room (and even double checked this in our written confirmation) and we got a "pool view" room instead. Also, service during this time was pretty poor.

That being said, the room itself was clean and nice and the grounds were awesome. This was a very busy weekend, so I am willing to forgive the lapses in service and the hotel itself was very nice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback and we are glad that you able to enjoy the amenities that we offer.