“A Fantastic Stay in Every Way”

Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel
Ranked #21 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
North Carolina
“A Fantastic Stay in Every Way”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

I have stayed at this property a few times, but it had been 6 years since my last visit.The facility is very nice, and the location is good as well. But perhaps the most amazing thing about this hotel was that, from airport shuttle pickup to checkout, virtually every staff member I came in contact with was cheerful, helpful, and genuinely friendly. I'm not kidding, everyone I ran into had a smile on their face and went out of there way to say hello.

I was attending a rather large convention during the second week of October, and the hotel was packed, but the staff seemed to handle it very well. From housekeeping to front desk to restaurant/lounge staff, these folks were on their game. Not surprisingly, I noticed the upper management on site during long hours making sure things ran smoothly. I had the pleasure of meeting the general manager in the lounge, and he made sure everyone was enjoying themselves. Service was excellent.

OK, enough gushing about the staff.....the hotel itself was nice. I think it had a major upgrade in the last five years or so, and it shows. The room was great, with plenty of outlets for charging. The fitness center was particularly nice, with a good mix of machines. The pool was great as well. And the hotel is connected to the convention center, so if your are attending something there this is the perfect location.

Thanks to Joe and everyone on his staff for a wonderful time. Try this place, you won't be sorry.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Rochelle C, Executive Admin at Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for your review of our hotel and services and for sharing your thoughts and for choosing our hotel for your lodging needs while in Palm Springs. We will celebrate your comments with our staff.

Thank you again and we do look forward to your return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
  • Hebrew first
Glasgow, Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed at the Renaissance for 11 days after finding a superb deal online.

We drove down from Las Vegas and arrived at the hotel at around 4:30pm. Parking is $10 per day which at least is an upfront charge that you are aware of. We parked up and dragged our cases in, we were offered assistance by two seperate members of staff which was nice.

Check in was a speedy affair with a very nice gentleman who explained the ins and outs of the hotel etc...

Off we wandered to our room which was a junior suite. We had a pool view though this was over the roof of the restaurant so not great. I went back to reception and was served immediately by the same gent who couldnt have been more helpful. I was more than happy to pay extra for a better view of the pool (afterall I hadnt booked a pool view) however we were switch rooms immediately to a full pool view and much prefered this. 10 out of 10 for the reception staff (this was the same for the duration of our stay, very helpful with directions, restaurant recommendations and infomation.)

The room itself was pleasant enough and was clean. The style of decor wasnt my choice however was functional and in good condition. The office/sitting area could do with some extra light, the bathroom was nice, clean and well stocked. The bed itself was actually superb, large and with good quality bed linen. The room had a balcony though I would have liked a light on the balcony so we could have sat out at night. Room servicing was a little hit and miss. Some days we had fully renewed soap and toiletries, other days we didnt. One day we only had one towel left but I would put this down to an oversight and not an actual complaint. One thing the room really lacked was a safe. Bear this in mind. The rooms seemed to be random for noise. We once heard someone coughing/sneezing and sometimes in the mornings the maids could be heard hoovering. This didnt appear to be consistent though.

The pool area was superb. Comfy loungers, as many free towels as you could want, clean toilets and the pool itself was large and cool which was key as it was +105 degrees everyday! Im surprised to learn that some people found it hard to locate towels, though i agree there are no signs but the large blue towel rack wasnt hard to find. Also surprised that people couldnt get service at the pool, our experience was a continual supply of "pool girls" asking if we were ok, wanted drinks/food/ice water etc... these guys were great and seemed to be about 99% of the time i was looking for a beer ;)

We also had an almost daily stop from what I beleive to be the hotel manager/assistant manager who always asked how we were, if things were meeting our expectation and he even bought us a drink one day. A really nice touch from the chap and really not something I would have expected.

The hotel is really well located in Palm Springs and is a short walk to the main street where this are a large number of restaurants and bars. We had a great time walking along and back at night after a meal and drinks. Ill hopefully get around to reviewing a number of the places that we ate in as there are some real gems Lulus and Peppers Thai spring to mind.

The food in the hotel seemed good. On days we couldnt be bothered going out we had the continental breakfast buffet and for $10 for as much as you could eat inc your drinks was actually really good value. The selection was good as well. Food at the pool was good and as always slightly overpriced but thats standard the world over for pool fare you can eat at your bed so no complaints.

The main bar Rocks is really nicely kitted out, outdoors has fire pits and comfy chairs. Service here though was hit and miss. When we got service the servers were like the rest of the staff, nice, welcoming and seemed happy to recommend drinks etc... however the bar itself seemed understaffed so you could be waiting sometime for the waiter to return for your next round. Not their fault really as there was to few staff and to serve the amount of guests.

The hotel has a very busy function area. This actually added to our holiday as you always get some conventioners having one to many drinks and can make for some mild entertainment at night!

Overall we had a great stay and would use this hotel again if we return to palm springs in the future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ScottGlasgow
EricHill, Manager at Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
It was with great delight that we read your very comprehensive review of our hotel and services; thank you for sharing your thoughts and for choosing our hotel for your lodging needs while in Palm Springs. We will celebrate your comments with our staff as well as coach on the areas you noted we could improve.

Thank you again and we do look forward to your return.
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

Took my sister for a one night get away to celebrate her bday. Upon arrival, check in was flawless, put our suites on and made our way to the pool. We had a cabana and the enjoyed the sunshine. We had a fabuous dinner and drinks in lounge at night. Overall stay was fabuous. Thank you to Eric Hill for the over the top attention and making this a great trip. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
EricHill, Manager at Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you very much for choosing our hotel to celebrate your sister's birthday and for sharing your glowing review. It was wonderful meeting you both and it was our pleasure to have been of service.

Thank you again and we look forward to your return.
wallasey uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

This was the last stop on our road trip a really nice hotel room was comfortable good service but poor breakfast cold and inedible also the pool area was full with people not staying at the hotel guests had no chance.The bar was good and lounge areas comfortable

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
EricHill, Manager at Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
We appreciate you choosing our hotel for your holiday and for sharing your review. Our apologies that our buffet did not meet your expectations, I will review your comments with our Culinary team. We do make every effort to control outside access to our pool, though it appears as though we did not catch a few during your visit.

Thank you again and it is our sincere hope that you will select our hotel again should your travels bring you back to Palm Springs.
Salida, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

While this is a very nice place, I don't think I would ever stay here voluntarily. I stayed only because it was the venue for a conference I attended. I have stayed in motels and hotels up and down the economic scale and consistently find that paying more doesn't get you more. For instance, staying at a Hampton Inn, you are guaranteed a free breakfast and free in-room WiFi. Move up the scale to Renaissance and Hyatt and you have to pay for all that - at premium prices. Why does it cost $12.95 a day for in-room WiFi at Renaissance while it's free at Hampton? Why do you have to go to a high-priced restaurant at Renaissance for breakfast, while Hampton serves up a beautiful buffet for free? I also had to have a small package shipped to me via UPS overnight and the front desk clerk couldn't have nicer about accepting the package, but that little nicety cost me $10 on my bill. Really?

OK - all my griping aside, this Renaissance is a very nice hotel, but it has a few drawbacks. My room was very nice; it was an upgrade from a standard king to a junior suite, but I had asked for a view of the pool. What I got was view of the roof. If I'd been able to get out of the window and walk across 50 feet of roof top I could have seen the pool. I also question why a hotel of this size has only one ice machine per floor. Each hallway is about the length of two football fields and there is only one ice machine in the middle of the hallway near the elevators.

It's in a great location that is within walking distance to the north end of Palm Springs with all its shops and restaurants - but only in the evening after the ungodly daytime temperatures drop.

Room Tip: Insist on a room with a view of something other than the roof!
1 Thank Bill C
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed here because I wanted to take advantage of a Marriott stay in order to maintain my preferred status. It's the first time I stayed here and I play to stay at other hotels next time I'm in Palm Springs. Upon arriving at the hotel, I noticed that the hotel was very old-looking from the outside. It was not on par with other Renaissance hotels but at the same time, this seems to be a Palm Springs trend with Marriott hotels (stayed recently at the Renaissance Esmeralda and also the JW Marriott). I parked in self- parking ($10) vs. valet parking ($18) and the valet and self parkings were directly next to each other, equidistant from the lobby. I recommend not paying for valet- it probably will take longer to flag someone down to get your car than you getting your car yourself, and you will save $8 each day plus gratuity. Upon walking into the lobby, it looked very nice and clean. I waited only 2 or 3 minutes to checkin and the receptionist was friendly. The lobby decor is definitely the nicest part of the hotel. So don't be surprised if you realize like I did that outside the reception area it is not very nice. Seems like the renovated the lobby area but not the rooms for at least 15 years. The rooms are not terrible, but have ikea-type furniture that is pretty dated and the tacky red and gray striped carpeting that I've seen at other Renaissance hotels. The pool area is nice- a very large pool and the water temperature was just perfect. There are towels to put on your chairs but it's hard to find where they are- I did not see any staff members at the pool to direct you to the towels nor to take any food or drink orders. Seems like there is no pool staff so make sure you bring your own beverages and food if you are to spend the day by the pool. Other than that, no major compliants about the hotel. Just "OK" for a marriott hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
EricHill, Manager at Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent trip to Palm Springs and for sharing your review. We were saddened to read how, beyond our lobby, that you disliked the decor chosen for our 2009 renovation. We will review our pool service over the dates of your stay as we do offer full beverage and food service at our pool.

Thank you again and we do hope you will afford us another opportunity to earn your business.
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

We were there for our convention and this proved to be a good location as it is only a short walk to the downtown area if you enjoy walking in the desert heat but the hotel does have a shuttle bus and they were used extensively when we were there to run us back and forth to the local areas and they were willing to come back for us when we were downtown if we called them to collect us. There might be a short wait but it was worth it as there were few taxis running around there for us to hail. The hotel was not always the Renaissance I don't think but inside it was modern and light and airy and so were the rooms. We had a suite which gave us more space to put our paperwork etc. We enjoyed it.

However, there were a few things which probably needed to be attended to which included the fact that our water ran cold on two occasions but it was rectified quickly after I called down to the front desk. They told me to run it for 10-15 minutes - what in the desert where water is at a premium! I didn't believe them but sure enough that was the case. The plumbing in our room 2346 needed the sink trap to be emptied as it was gurgling as it could not pass water down quickly enough. The tea/coffee box was not replenished correctly each day. Otherwise the room was pretty clean and towels replenished every day. There was little about conserving water there.

We had a late lunch in the restaurant there due to our late arrival at the hotel but were quickly ushered out as they told us it was closing! And the following evening being tired we stayed on for some dinner there. The service was slow, the carpet needed cleaning and my plate was dirty. This area seemed understaffed and wait staff harried even though they were polite and helpful.

The pool is a great asset to this hotel as it is huge and not too deep with lots of sun beds around but poorly attended by the staff when we were there as the deck area was dirty and not hosed down to get rid of the dead bugs and cigarette butts which abounded there and the dirty tables. I never saw anyone asking the people sitting at the pool if they would like anything from the bar. There were always plenty of towels around but many of them were frayed out and should have been thrown away. The water cannister at the pool was always full.

The hotel also has you pay for internet but it is $12.95 per piece of equipment and so it was a shocking fee at the end of our stay as we had a computer as well as my iPad connected. However, on speaking to the manager he deducted one of those fees from our bill.

The coffee shop is at the bar area and in fact part of the bar serving a few breakfast muffins but it is not open early for those who need coffee early and if you haven't had your box replenished in your room you have to wait. The water in the room is $5 for a small bottle and there is nothing complimentary. People were leaving the hotel and going to the local supermarket to fetch their bottled water by the case and putting it in their fridges.

Our convention was catered very well for the men and our last dinner there was by the pool and the food was delicious and it was well catered. However, they ran out of knifes for people as they did not lay the tables beforehand but merely put table clothes on them and we had to find the silverware ourselves. The pool area was cleared way early in the morning to establish the tables out there and the people who were not at the convention I could tell were not happy about it.

This hotel definitely needed more staff and although none of the items I have pointed out particularly worried me as they were quick fixes the cost of the internet did along with the parking fees.

I recently stayed overseas in some of the same priced hotels and on all occasions the service, accommodations and functionality I received overseas from hotels of this calibre more than superceded this one.

However, the staff, the manager and the location were great. Just because of that however it doesn't mean to say they should let this diamond lower its standards and become mediocre.

Room Tip: Hire a car and see the place if you have time and drive around to the local sites at your leisure...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
EricHill, Manager at Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
We appreciate your choosing our hotel for your recent trip to Palm Springs and for sharing your review. We will take your observations into our operation to make improvements as we are always seeking to improve the experience of our guests.

Thank you again and we look forward to your return.