“Nice Hotel But The Wifi Needs Work”

Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel
Ranked #25 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Escondido, California
“Nice Hotel But The Wifi Needs Work”
Reviewed March 18, 2011

Stayed at the hotel for three nights, counting tonight. I am writing this from the room during the last night of my stay here. On balance, the hotel is nice, the staff is courteous, the restaurant has good prices if a limited menu. The only real knock on the place is that if I am going to pay thirteen bucks every 24 hours to have wifi in my room, I want the speed to be faster. Watching uTube is quirky and jerky and goes in fits and starts. I also subscribe to a video online feed to a popular radio show, where there is a camera going on the host of that show. That video freezes as well, then runs, then freezes. My wifi at home does not do that. The internet is such an integral part of our lives now and a good hotel should have a setup that allows people paying good money to have fast connectivity.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 7, 2011

From the moment I arrived on Friday afternoon to the moment I left on Sunday, I was continually impressed by both the level of service and the unexpected awesomeness of this hotel. Joe and Tiffany at the front desk checked me in and went way beyond great customer service. I was by myself and had booked through Priceline. Joe not only allowed me to check in much earlier than the regular 4 pm check in time but he also made a few inquiries and changes and gave me a superior room to the one i had been assigned. Thanks to Joe I had a fantastic, huge king size room on the 5th floor with a view of the pool and mountains. What a great way to start my weekend getaway. I would like to thank Joe and Tiffany for making me feel so welcome when I arrived!

The long and short of it is this place is great with an outstanding pool area...the pool may not be a natural saltwater pool (it has chlorine whereas some smaller boutique hotels in the area do not) but it is heated, large and the poolside beach chairs and beds are the comfiest I have ever laid on.

The gym is superior to any hotel gym I have ever experienced, 5 star or otherwise, I loved it!

The products in the room are Aveda.

The attention to detail and kind, courteous customer service was evident in every staff member I encountered.

I did not eat any food at the hotel. I went off the property to eat, so I cannot speak about the restaurant food.

Oh and the bed in my room was heavenly to sleep on...I love the pillows, the fact that there are SIX of them on your bed and that they are various kinds of pillows, making it easy for you to choose one perfect for you.

I honestly had the most incredible weekend and I never thought I would love this hotel this much. The fact that I got such a major deal through Priceline only makes this deal all the sweeter.

One tiny thing I would have liked in the room was a bathrobe.

Oh and internet is free in the lobby but you have to pay a daily fee to have it in your room. It is $12.95 a day for guest room internet.

Parking is $10 a day to self park. $18 a day to valet.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Los Angeles
Reviewed March 7, 2011

This hotel was great. I can confidently recommend staying here, for vacation or work.

The staff was great. Friendly, efficient, etc.

This hotel must be newly built, or recently renovated. Our room was fantastic. All the outlets on the desk were great for charging out electronics. Great bed and linens. A very nice armoire/closet, but there was not a dresser. We were fine for the weekend, but it might get annoying for a longer stay. The room was bright, the furniture was comfortable. The carpet and cushions seemed brand new.

Now the BEST part of this hotel is the pool area. Tons of lounges, huge area, clean, well-maintained...... Seriously plan on spending several hours at the pool. It is way better than the other "resorts" I have been to in the PS area.

The location is great. Easy walk to the main drag. (including restaurants, shopping, a casino, and gay and straight bars. If you want to avoid parking fees, we were able to find super close street parking without restrictions.

The onsite restaurant was average with reasonable prices.

This hotel is way better than any of the golf resorts I have been to.
Loved:

going back home.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 28, 2011

My wife & I enjoyed our 2-night stay at the hotel Feb 7-9, 2011; this was our first visit to beautiful Palm Springs.

As soon as we drove up to the Hotel, the bellhop greeted us and helped us unload, and explained the parking options. Our room 5202 was quiet and spacious, more than adequate for our needs; the only minor drawback was that it was a long walk from the elevator. The staff were very helpful in answering our questions and providing directions to attractions.

The quiet location is excellent; yet it is within an easy 10-15 minute walk to the main shopping streets. On the way to town across the street, we would highly recommend Sherman's Deli; for breakfast; their menu is quite extensive,and prices are reasonable.

The large pool area and heated pool are very nice, with beautiful views of palm trees & mountains. The hotel also offers an excellent fitness center, with many different machines.

Rates can be a little high, but an extensive web-search may find something reasonable. We found a bargain rate of $129 per night, well worth it.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 25, 2011

This hotel surpassed our expectations. The hotel has a restaurant, lounge, pool, and so much more! The lobby had a wine tasting on friday night and a jazz band saturday night! The pool is huge and heated and has plenty of outside chairs to sit on. The rooms were spacious and clean. The staff both for the hotel and the restaurant were so nice and were always on top of what we needed. If you pass up this hotel you are definitely missing out!! parking is 10 dollars a day but totally worth it.

Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
california
Reviewed February 24, 2011

Location is fairly good; right next to the Convention Center and a few few long blocks to the main restaurant drag. Nice standard 3.5 star hotels - nice clean rooms (we stayed in 2 during our stay) but nothing really unique. Very nice pool area (heated pool and hot spa) so great for families. There is a lobby bar and a causal restaurant with not much offering. Both of our rooms were VERY far from the elevator lobby so you might want to ask for a closer one at check in.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 24, 2011

We booked this hotel under Priceline and wasn't really sure what to expect.

We drove from San Diego through a huge storm and were quite bitter that it took us a couple hours extra to get to Palm Springs, but this hotel turned that bitterness into happiness real quick.

We arrived at night in the rain and as soon as we walked in the elegant and flashy lobby we were greeted enthusiastically by friendly staff. The hip bar area that is a part of the lobby was full of people participating in some wine tasting event and it created a welcoming atmosphere. We quickly checked in and proceeded to our rooms to find out that we had been upgraded to suites!

The rooms were very clean and styled very nicely. The suite had an extra lounge/desk area with an extra TV that was also attached to the desk with a range of connections (RCA / VGA / HDMI) so you could connect up your computer or other electronic devices to the LCD TV. Something I haven't seen before. The room also had cable and HBO. The bathroom had everything needed, and their soaps and shampoos where mint and rosemary, which was awesome since I hate the common citrus scented stuff.

The pool area is huge and we spent some time in the hot tub. The pool is heated so it is even nice on those cooler, but sunny days.

The location is excellent since it is only a couple blocks from all the action, and only a block from the casino. There is an awesome Jewish deli down the street (walking distance) that had some of the best food I have eaten in a while, especially the desserts.

I would recommend this place to anyone, business, family, and couples because it caters for all.

My only complaint is that there is only one group of non-central elevators and we were in the farthest wing, so it was a small trek each time. Not a big deal though.

The gym was very nice also, all the cardio equipment had small TVs and they supplied disposable headphones.

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple