“Could turn into a weekly haunt”
Review of JJ's Oasis Latino

JJ's Oasis Latino
Ranked #127 of 337 Restaurants in Palm Springs
Cuisines: Latin
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We have been to JJ's on the odd occasion this year and prior years during the winters when we snowbirds hibernate in Palm Springs, California, but with the closing of a favourite restaurant and JJ's being in walking distance, JJ's could just become our Friday night haunting place.

We were there with a friend and my wife and I started with their Grande Margarita on the rocks with salt. Now, the homest truth is that JJ's has only a beer and wine licence, so they cannot sell liquor. So, how did we get served Margaritas? Because they are not made with tequila, but with agave wine. I had not heard of such a wine, but this is what Wikipedia says:
"100% de agave wine has long been used in traditional Mexican margaritas and is said to make margaritas that are as good if not better than traditional tequila based margaritas.

"Agave wine is popular in Mexico, and is growing in popularity in the United States. It is made from the same plant as tequila, and therefore has a similar flavor. Agave wine is much lower in alcohol content, however. This is its main attraction in the U.S., where it can be sold by vendors that do not have a liquor license. Agave wine is fermented and filtered to retain the agave flavor. It can be drunk chilled, on the rocks, or with mixers."

Believe me, the Grande Margaritas (and they ARE Grande) taste exactly like margaritas made with tequila. Our friend, by the way, had a Coor's Light, which actually arrived in a Foster's can. The wife of the owner knows our friend as a customer and when he pointed out that it was not his usual Coor's, she was about to take it away, but he said he would stay with it.

Along with our drinks, tortilla chips and dipping hot sauce arrived, but, in addition, we ordered a gaucamole dip. It was an extra.

My wife chose a chicken enchilada which was accompanied by the usual refried beans, rice and a salad. She declared it to be tasty. Before ordering my main, I ordered another of those great Grande Margaritas! And our friend ordered another beer. My main choice was a combination of bean tostada with chile relleno. This was accompanied with the same as my wife had, but the salad was ontop of the bean tostado, which made for delicious mouthfuls. The chile relleno, a roasted poblano pepper stuffed with cheese, was also very good. Our friend chose a beef carnitas plate, which was beef with tortillas in a clay warmer and the usual other three accompaniments.

This is family-run restaurant, they being the papa, mama and a very tall young son. The food is all made to order, so you may have a small wait while your order is prepared. But be assured, mama and papa will look after you very well and will make sure everything is to your satisfaction.

We recommend this restaurant and it is a favourite of other friends we have in this city.

Cost: 3 Margaritas - $27.97; 2 beers - $7.98; guacamole - $3.49; chicken enchilada - $6.99; bean tostado & chile relleno - $13.49; carnitas plate - $12.99. Total: $75.11, to which we added $15 gratuity.

2  Thank Melville P

Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed our meal here. Friendly atmosphere, reasonably priced food, clean plates all round. We had chicken fajitas.beef tostadas and beef enchiladas which were all very good. The flour tortillas were excellent. Home made coconut flan was also very good. A little out of the way but worth the effort. Careful with the Mexican beer as it comes in 32 fl oz bottles.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

My wife and I have eaten at JJ's about 15 times in the past two years (since moving to the area). It is not fancy. Rather it is small, rather rustic but warm and inviting. If you are looking for a fancy, hip, trendy restaurant or typical cookie-cutter Mexican food, JJ's is probably not your place. But if you want excellent authentic Central American style Latino food, then definitely try JJ's Oasis Latino. JJ's is now one of our favorite places to eat anywhere. Their prices are very fair (not cheap) and the food always seems freshly prepared.

The owner, JJ, has been here for 30 years now, which must say a lot about his food and service. Obviously you can't please everyone, but I am shocked about the couple of reviews that are so negative.

We have brought many friends and family to JJ's and recommended this place to many other friends. They have all been very happy. Some of our family from out of town now request to return to JJ's when they are visiting. Most of our friends that we recommend JJ's to are also now regulars customers.

All their food is excellent, but their SHRIMP CEVICHE IS THE ABSOLUTE BEST I have ever had anywhere! Their flan is fantastic and as another reviewer noted the beans are awesome. Other favorites are their flautas, shredded pork burrito, and carne asada JJ's style. I don't know about their drinks, as my wife and I don't drink alcohol. It's also nice that and either JJ or his wife is always the one who serves us. They are both very friendly and seem to genuinely enjoy their restaurant.

Great restaurant!

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Went in today and received TERRIBLE HORRIBLE service, we were the only ones dining so I would have expected the hostess/waitress to be a little more kind to us - food was ok - portions were very small and it was way overpriced - order came out wrong but my children were hungry - never ever will I ever dine here nor will I ever refer any guests staying at the hotel I work at to eat here!

1  Thank Mommy L
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I should have been warned by me being the only visitor of this place. But the hunger drove me in.
The chicken fajitas were made of the cheapest and fattest part of the chicken. Also its taste was incredibly bland. I would rate it the worst fajita I had so far in my life. With it I had a Margarita, which was not very strong.

Overall a total waste. Avoid.