“Excellent Location; Just ok food”
Review of Peaks Restaurant

Peaks Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Peaks Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #96 of 340 Restaurants in Palm Springs
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Palm Canyon Road
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Highlights: The location of Peak's restaurant is outstanding, sitting atop Mt. San Jacinto, a few miles up from the desert floor of Palm Springs and the Coachella Valley. There is an outside walking area between you and the summit view, however, so be prepared for a somewhat obstructed view. Yet, the location is really stunning.

Lowlights: This actually might be a factor of the location, but the food is not very good. It is ok, but not outstanding. Perhaps transporting food into the desert first, then up the mountain presents challenges. And maybe our tastebuds are less sensitized to taste at the higher altitude.

For whatever reason, we were not knocked out by the food. We had lunch: salads, burgers, fries, drinks. The prices were a little high, but we were on vacation and splurging is a recurring theme when we are travelling. The service was comfortable and welcoming, mostly college-aged young adults. Also, there were a few families with toddlers in the vicinity, so be prepared for a possibly dynamic environment during your meal.

Overall, we are happy to have experienced a meal at the mountaintop. We might go for the cafeteria next door on our next trip, with moderated expectations for a dining experience.

This is my first "3-dot average" rating on trip advisor - it's not that I don't recommend Peaks, it just isn't special.

2  Thank RobSwims

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Very average meal, average wine list, good service and too expensive for what you end up eating! And it is too bad, because I would have expected a better resto at the top of the mountain. The tram experience would have been enhanced by that!

1  Thank PantaRei46
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We went to Peaks even after reading some of the reviews because we thought it would be a nice change from the usual.... I'll start off by saying the service and atmosphere were wonderful. The food was okay but pricey for what you get. We got the salmon, pork chops, Cornish game hens and the filet minion, the filet and chops were very good, the salmon had a frozen taste to it and the game hens were bland... Also no bread on the table to start, kind of a downer when your paying these prices. The filet was the most expensive thing on the menu and it was a la cart, so if you wanted a veg or potato you had to add 7 dollars for each of the, odd as everything else came with sides. They may want to rethink this and price the steaks accordingly...". After that being said I think I need to mention the visitor we had throughout our meal. There was a little field mouse running around the floor, when we mentioned it we were told that they also had squirrels and raccoons sometimes and that they were protected because it's a national park, thinking you don't have to kill them just block off the holes, not sure if the D.P.H. Would want critters running around where food is being served......

2  Thank bpsmith47
Reviewed April 21, 2013

what can be said about a tourist restaurant, the food was good and the service was some of the best i've experienced, expect to pay tourist prices but worth it, wait time was 30 minutes but can be up to 2 hours depending on time and crowds

Reviewed April 3, 2013

The cafe looked unappetising, so we decided to get some lunch at Peaks. There was a brief wait for a table, but then we were seated with a spectacular view. We started by sharing some hummas and pitta. The pitta wasn't what I would describe ad pitta, more soft and floury, but okay. There was what I would call a conventional hummus, which was nothing special, together with something else, carrot I think. It wasn't for me, but my partner enjoyed it.

We then had a couple of salads. I had a wedge with shrimp, my partner had greek with chicken. Both were good. We finished with a couple of coffees. I think the cost was around $50, plus tip. We were happy with the food and the cost, given where we were dining.