“In need of serious updating”

Marquis Villas Resort
Ranked #59 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
Lake Forest, California
“In need of serious updating”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

The Hotel was close to the main shopping and dining area of Palms Springs but that was it's only plus. The carpeting in my suite had numerous holes in it and was dated not vintage. Over all the hotel common areas and pool were clean but just old and worn. The $10 per person resort fee is a joke. This is not a resort!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank AlaskanTraveler18
diamondresorts, Manager at Marquis Villas Resort, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
While we understand that our property does require some updating, we feel that you should not have been given a room of that standard. We hope that you notified the front desk of your concerns while on property so that they could have tried to resolve your concerns. Our property is located very centrally in Palm Springs and we’re glad that you were happy with your surroundings!

The $10 resort fee covers Wi-Fi, local and long-distance calling, recreational activities on property, and parking. While this fee may be unwelcome, it helps us maintain these additional amenities provided on-site.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. We hope that you’ll choose to stay with us again in the future where we can be sure our team members will assist with a better experience!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Gilbert, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

I have stayed here a couple times and it has been OK. It has always suited our needs and then some. The place is a bit run down and with a $10 a day resort fee you would think they would have internet or decent beds.

I stayed here May 6 and 7th 2012. When I checked into the first room I had to move because the bed had a large sagging area in the middle. They happily moved me to another room where the bed was worse and the couch was broken. They finally moved me to a third room and the furniture although not very nice was at least usable.

That is the end of any problems, now to the good parts.

The staff is very friendly and the location makes up for a lot of issues. It is a short block from downtown Palm Springs with restaurants and coffee shops. Also almost across the street from a casino. Every room has a separate bedroom and living room-kitchen, like an apartment. They are no smoking but every room has a very large patio (downstairs) or balcony (upstairs) with plenty of chairs and table to relax in private. Full kitchen not just a dorm fridge and microwave. 2 bathrooms, 1 small with a stand along shower and commode and the other large with commode, garden tub and walk in closet.

This place is nice for the family or for having guest over when we come into the state. Works better for us then a regular hotel room as we have family in the area. And lets not forget the free underground parking. It is nice to get into the car and not roast.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

The bathroom
I like the 70's decor

Negatives:
Everything else.

The pool is too small, there is no shady areas, there is no food or alcohol on the premises, there was no maid service to clean our room.

Lame.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Palm Springs hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our vacation and we were very disappointed. From the moment we entered the room, we should have known what kind of experience this would be. We are both okay with "outdated", but that is a complete understatement and doesn't explain the lack of cleanliness and quality of service. The furniture is not only outdated but dirty with tears, and the carpet floor is worn and has holes in it. Probably the biggest offense was the dirty sheets (not from us) that we discovered and had been sleeping in for days, even though housekeeping had already "cleaned" the day before. The sheets were filthy, with dark stains and everything. When we brought this to the attention of the front desk, they only dropped off new sheets even though they said they would change them for us. The Internet doesn't work unless you sit in the lobby (so much for that resort fee). Overall very disappointing. It's unfortunate because the facility has great potential but they don't take care of it or the people who pay to stay here.

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank GreatTravelsOnward
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

I stayed here with my husband and two teenage daughters during Coachella weekend. We chose the hotel because of the room size. The rooms are one bedroom apartments. They have a living room with a sleeper sofa, a dining room area, full kitchen, a bedroom with two queen size beds and a huge bathroom and even a separate bathroom and shower. So it works great for a family. The location is great too. Two blocks away from the main street.
Having said that, there were a lot of things that could be improved. The rooms were not very clean. The carpets are old and dirty. We only got two big towels and did not even get a floor mat. When we asked for a blanket (for the sofa) we got only one sheet. They told us someone would come up with a blanket, but no one ever came. The equipment at the gym is ancient and the gym smells like mold. The TV's are very old (both in the gym and the rooms). We tried to use the pool one day late in the evening and the gate was locked with a chain. We were told that the pool closes at 10:30 p.m. even thought it was 93 degrees. The worst is that they charge a resort fee, which is ludicrous, since this place is far from being a resort. Ah, and they charge a late check out fee of $35.00.
In short, I would stay here again if I paid about $130-$150. However, it was not worth the $239 that we paid.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank MarjML
Vancouver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

Stayed here late March/early April - overall, I'd call my experience "above average" but I'll select average from the TA ratings scale. As noted in the title, some solid pluses.

Pro:
- Location: "downtown" close to "main drag," restaurants, casino, bars, etc.
- Staff were very friendly and helpful - when I asked where I could lock up my rental bike they said I could bring it to my room, and when I couldn't pick up the Internet on my laptop, the manager offered to let me use the computer in his office.
- "Room" was actually a suite - full kitchen (when I saw it I went out and bought groceries and prepared half my meals there). Reasonable dining room/living room (with a fireplace), comfortable beds - and when was the last time you stayed in a place with a doorbell?
- Clean suite and common areas, including the pool, jacuzzi and surrounding outdoor space.
- No pets - I like dogs, but I don't like sharing hotels with them.
- Diverse clientele that mixed well - gays, lesbians, straights young and old, families.

Con:
- A bit dated and worn overall all - suite decor was "Dynasty Lite" - at least no Miami Vice pastels. Living room carpet had a serious "repair scar."
- I booked it online (Orbitz) and got a good price, but found out upon check in that there is a daily resort fee (about $10). It included pool towels, daily newspaper, Internet, and local and long distance calls - the latter seemed like a decent addition to the usual "resort fee" but I didn't use it.
- Internet was only available in the lobby - not in the suites.
One of the toilets in the suite had a weird "moan-like" whine - it woke me up in the middle of the night, and at first I though a woman in a nearby room must have been enjoying an "I'll have what she's having" moment. Fixed the disturbance by closing the bathroom door.... The bathroom fixtures were fine, except for the toilets - they were old, used lots of water and didn't flush efficiently.

Overall, the pros out-number the cons - I'd stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank WestcoasterVancouver
Regina, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

Not even 10 minutes away from the airport ($15 cab ride - which included our gratuity to the driver), the resort was quick to get to.

Reserved on-line, 4 adults. Upon arrival we received a friendly welcome, in fact the staff at the front desk were always pleasant, so were the housekeeping staff and the pool attendant -so no complaints at all with the people working there.

Once inside the hotel and in the elevator heading up to our 3rd floor room, we could tell right away that the resort is in need of renovations. The carpet most definitely. Very worn down in the hallways. Once in our room we were pleasantly surprised by the size of it. Full sized kitchen (fridge, stove, and dishwasher), dining room table with 4 chairs, 1 couch, 2 armchairs. Off to the side was the one-bedroom with 2 full-sized beds in it. Right off of the bedroom is a large bathroom, with a deep tub and the first of two toilets. Off of the bathroom separated by a sliding door is another bathroom with a full sized single stalled shower, sink and the second of the two toilets. All pretty clean. Again just very dated and should be renovated.

The kitchen was well stocked although needed a wine opener, which was no big deal, housekeeping brought one up right away. Also there is an ironing board but housekeeping also needed to bring the iron up, which they did too.

In the living room, the carpet was pretty worn looking, strays of it were unravelling in sections. In the bedroom, the patch of it was simply removed instead of fixed. My sister also made a decision to take a look at her pillow, and said there were stains on it. So, there needs to be a lot of sprucing up inside this room.

Also there is a fireplace in the living room area, unsure if it's burnt wood or if it was an electric one, never looked in it or saw any switches nearby.

Very nice large balcony (width-wise) with 4 chairs on it.

The outdoor pool area was nice, except not enough loungers were made available. And of those loungers they also are weathered. There was more then enough of the normal single chairs. There is the main pool that is heated nicely. Hot tub that was very nice too, nice and warm. And there is a kiddie pool but the water in that is kept very cool. I did notice that the maintenance staff did add chlorine (by the handfuls) to the pool(s). A bit too strong as my suit after washing it once home, still smelled like chlorine.

There is also a couple of propane barbeques near a bar just off from the pool area. So it's nice if you want to barbeque as I did witness other guests doing so. However, we didn't research it enough to know this beforehand.

There's also 2 full sized tennis courts that looked to be in decent shape.

The grounds of the hotel are kept immaculate.

As a result of the room being the way it is, and after speaking to the nice person at the front counter, she was able to explain a bit more about how renovations to some rooms are being done, but not sure about the one we stayed in, she did suggest that she will have the $50 ($10/night condo cleaning fee) be waived for us. That was appreciated.

The location of this resort is prime. It's only 2 blocks away from the main street of downtown Palm Springs, where a lot of the good restaurants are situated.

We found this hotel on-line and booked it through Expedia. The package and hotel was a good deal for us ($650/person for 5 nights flying from Regina to Palm Springs - via Denver). The deal was really good compared to other packages we were researching at the time of our booking. There are many options of hotels in Palm Springs, from the real ritzy ones to the more humble ones. I'll rate the Marquis Villas Resort as more of a humble one.

So if you do decide to consider this resort, it wouldn't be a huge disappointment, just negotiate a cheaper rate.

Room Tip: Maybe request to peek inside the room before you actually settle into it....could ask for a differen...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family