“Fantastic weekend!!”
Review of Movie Colony Hotel

Movie Colony Hotel
Ranked #57 of 74 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed March 13, 2007

If you go to Palm Springs I don't think there is a better place to stay then the Movie Colony. I was a little apprehensive to write a review because I wanted to keep this gem of a hotel to myself but after further thinking, everyone should be able to experience it. This was my first time to Palm Springs and I was a little nervous. We are a younger couple and I had heard PS was for old people. We needed a relaxing/ fun weekend and we got one. My fiancée and I travel a lot and have stayed in some wonderful hotels/resorts (Ritz Carltons, Westins, Loews, etc) and I can honestly say our experience at the MC was one of the best stays we've ever had. (Not to mention the value) The rooms were extremely comfortable, cool and refreshing. (room 15) I'd say the only downside is the size of the bathrooms. A little tight. (Not really anything you can do about it but I felt it was worth mentioning) I'm not going to go into detail about the various perks b/c others have done a wonderful job outlining the experience, however I'd like to make special note of the cocktail hour, complimentary snacks and beverages in the room and the bicycles. A+. (We loved our bike ride) Not being nickel and dimed for every little thing makes this hotel stand out. The intimate atmosphere is really what makes this hotel special. We met several couples while we were there. It was great meeting other people. We had so much fun with the other guest and the hotel staff. We sat out by the pool all day, enjoying the PS sun and talking with our new friends. Having use of the outdoor kitchen was perfect for making drinks and cooling off. The staff was always very friendly. It's refreshing to have staff appreciate your business and make you feel comfortable. We kept commenting on how everyone on the staff must be partial owners b/c it seemed as though they all had a stake in our enjoyment. I want to make special note of Chris and Joseph. Their attention to service and detail was fantastic. My fiancée and I went to several other boutique hotels in Palm Springs to see if we made the right decision. After walking around the Viceroy and some of the other properties we couldn't help but notice the difference. Every other place tried way to hard. They were very uptight and pretentious. Certainly not the feeling we were looking for and received at the MC. If you're looking for a smaller, more intimate stay in Palm Springs, look no further than the Movie Colony. Thanks guys and we'll be back!!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank JK&JS

Reviewed February 26, 2007

My husband and I just spent two nights at The Movie Colony Hotel. We stayed in one of their three townhouse rooms, which was two stories, with a balcony overlooking the pool. All of the rooms are decorated 1950's style and it was definitely a change from our large condo stay in Palm Desert, but an enjoyable change. The help at this hotel is fabulous, very accomodating with anything you should need. Their recommendation of Copley's restaurant for dinner was excellent.
The bed and linen were very comfortable. Yes, the bathrooms are small, but it is decorated like a 50's bathroom, not a large bathroom of today. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who would like a change from a fancy corporate hotel, who enjoys meeting people and would like to step back in time to Palm Spring of the 50's.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mauisun
Reviewed February 18, 2007

What a fantastic place! We were only in Palm Springs for one brief evening, but nonetheless wanted to stay in a small hotel that captured the feel of the city. Chris (Kris?) greeted us and made us immediately feel at home, then took us on a brief tour of the hotel grounds and room. She gave us exactly the pertinent info we needed about the cocktail hour, breakfast, parking, movies available to borrow, after-hours access, etc.

Our room had a fabulous (and huge) terrace, plantation shutters, and a very comfortable bed. The bathroom had older fixtures but Aveda toiletries and an upgraded travertine floor. We loved the view of the mountains through the palm trees and beautiful landscaping.

Morning continental breakfast didn't disappoint, with some fresh fruit, bagels, juices, coffee, and a few other items. We weren't looking for a big breakfast, so it hit the spot perfectly.

The location was within walking distance of downtown shopping and restaurants, plus the gorgeous Las Palmas (Movie Colony) neighborhood is just northwest of the hotel and makes for a good morning walking area.

We were 100% happy with our choice and look forward to returning to the Movie Colony Hotel the next time we're in P.S.!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank lagunadallas
Reviewed January 12, 2007

It is hard to believe that perfection exists but it can be found at this hip hotel. The staff was ever so friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and modern, and the lush bedding exquisite. My husband and I will definitely be back for another stay!!!

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank amanangel
Reviewed December 3, 2006

I throrougly enjoyed our two day at the small but gorgeous Movie Colony Hotel. The staff was super friendly and I didnt want to leave the divine comfy bed in the morning.. Good thing they had late check out. I also loved the amenities like complimentary breakfast and happy hour, hot tea anytime and Aveeda tolietries..
It was the perfect spot to meet my new cinematogragher and plan our first act of my film Peace Walker.. Movie Colony Hotel, Ill be back!
Tara Golden

Stayed: November 2006
3  Thank filmdreamer
Reviewed October 23, 2006

My husband and I recently stayed here for our anniversary weekend. Based on the reviews we were really excited for our trip. The hotel was clean with small, modern, stylish rooms. The pool area was nice and well-kept although the hotel pumps techno music through the speakers all day, which can be a bit much. Happy hour was great -- good way to meet the other hotel guests and the saketinis were fantastic. The area is convenient too -- close enough to the strip but far enough away from the crowds and cruising cars.

While this hotel is nice, I have to say it offers nothing special and is incredibly over-priced for what you get. There's no shortage of cool mid-century boutique hotels in the area. We've stayed at many of them and I can't say this one stands out at all or is the best. I wouldn't recommend it to a friend. You can get more for your money elsewhere. Upon check out, the hotel told us that there were problems with the booking. We made our reservations through the tripadvisor website (which linked us to Orbitz). When we were settling the bill, the hotel tried charging us $100 more than we were quoted. They tried to say Orbitz' quote wasn't accurate and the real price of the room was $270 a night. We called up our reservation, showed them the confirmed dates and price of $230 but they kept saying it wasn't right; it was the weekday rate. After much back and forth they agreed to the quote, trying to put the blame on Orbitz and grumbling about it the whole time. I've used Orbitz for many years and have never had this problem before. The problem, really, was the hotel and its mangagement. They talked to us like we were trying to pull a fast one. They even repremanded us on our way out by saying 'next time, call us directly and don't use Orbitz." Well... there won't be a next time.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
9  Thank GlobeTrotter2000
Reviewed September 21, 2006

Movie colony hotel has small but boutique hotel-style rooms with lush bedding and cool decor in a renovated mid-century building. Bathrooms are small but up to date and our room didn't have much of a sitting area. But, there was a great TV, DVD system, and a nice terrace. We loved the martini hour around the firepit; felt like it was 1950 and we might bump into Frank Sinatra! There was a lovely breakfast buffet with make-your-own french press coffee. The staff was very friendly and the location was fine for a 5 minute walk to downtown Palm Springs.

• Stayed: August 2006