Movie Colony Hotel
Ace Hotel and Swim Club(Palm Springs)(Great Value!)
$192
$149
  • Pool
Parker Palm Springs(Palm Springs)
$441
$305
  • Pool
Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel(Palm Springs)(Great Value!)
$139
  • Restaurant
Caliente Tropics Resort(Palm Springs)(Great Value!)
$72
Hilton Palm Springs(Palm Springs)(Great Value!)
$130
Hilton.com
  • Pool
Best Western Plus Las Brisas Hotel(Palm Springs)(Great Value!)
$108
$90
BestWestern.com
The Saguaro Palm Springs(Palm Springs)(Great Value!)
$129
$134
$128
  • Pool
Hyatt Palm Springs(Palm Springs)(Great Value!)
$139
  • Pool
Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs(Palm Springs)(Great Value!)
$188
$159
Agoda.com
  • Pool
All reviewsterrace roomthe mexican restaurantpropertypoollinens
Reviewed October 23, 2006

My husband and I recently stayed here for our anniversary weekend. Based on the reviews we were really excited for our trip. The hotel was clean with small, modern, stylish rooms. The pool area was nice and well-kept although the hotel pumps techno music through the speakers all day, which can be a bit much. Happy hour was great -- good way to meet the other hotel guests and the saketinis were fantastic. The area is convenient too -- close enough to the strip but far enough away from the crowds and cruising cars.

While this hotel is nice, I have to say it offers nothing special and is incredibly over-priced for what you get. There's no shortage of cool mid-century boutique hotels in the area. We've stayed at many of them and I can't say this one stands out at all or is the best. I wouldn't recommend it to a friend. You can get more for your money elsewhere. Upon check out, the hotel told us that there were problems with the booking. We made our reservations through the tripadvisor website (which linked us to Orbitz). When we were settling the bill, the hotel tried charging us $100 more than we were quoted. They tried to say Orbitz' quote wasn't accurate and the real price of the room was $270 a night. We called up our reservation, showed them the confirmed dates and price of $230 but they kept saying it wasn't right; it was the weekday rate. After much back and forth they agreed to the quote, trying to put the blame on Orbitz and grumbling about it the whole time. I've used Orbitz for many years and have never had this problem before. The problem, really, was the hotel and its mangagement. They talked to us like we were trying to pull a fast one. They even repremanded us on our way out by saying 'next time, call us directly and don't use Orbitz." Well... there won't be a next time.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9  Thank GlobeTrotter2000
Reviewed September 21, 2006

Movie colony hotel has small but boutique hotel-style rooms with lush bedding and cool decor in a renovated mid-century building. Bathrooms are small but up to date and our room didn't have much of a sitting area. But, there was a great TV, DVD system, and a nice terrace. We loved the martini hour around the firepit; felt like it was 1950 and we might bump into Frank Sinatra! There was a lovely breakfast buffet with make-your-own french press coffee. The staff was very friendly and the location was fine for a 5 minute walk to downtown Palm Springs.

• Stayed: August 2006
6  Thank tmpclp
Reviewed September 2, 2006

This is a small “boutique” style hotel that has18 rooms. This style of hotel / guest house seems to be the approach that is offered as the norm in Palm Springs – and it works well for a visit to this city.

The hotel itself is really good and I would strongly recommend this as a place to stay if visiting. It is very attractively designed with flair and style and quirky furniture that sets it apart for the norm. This is such a refreshing change, as these days hotels and guesthouses all seem to be merging into a kind of bland sameness. The hotel was originally built in the 1930s, but has been extensively modernized and expanded although the 1930s feel still applies.

The staff are all very friendly, without being too “in your face” but are always there with advice and help if you need any.

We stayed in one of the “townhouses” (Sinatra Townhouse) that is on 2 levels with a lounge area that leads onto the pool, which as well as being nice has the added advantage that you have loungers at your front door guaranteeing a great place by the pool. There is a large TV, mini-bar and very funky u-shaped sofa. I have posted pictures to show all of this. Upstairs is the bedroom with very comfortable king bed, small bathroom with shower and a patio with loungers. Apparently this is the patio that the Door’s singer Jim Morrison took a running leap from to dive into the pool in the 1960s. Not something the management encourage, nor would be advised! The bathroom is ok and the only part of the hotel that lacks a “wow” factor.

The pool is great and is 7 feet deep in the deep end and 3 and a half feet in the shallow end.

There is a bar area in the courtyard with very good complimentary breakfast spread of bagels, muffins, pastries, granola, yoghurt etc. They also have coffee, tea, fruit etc all day and in the evening an hour of wine and the house cocktail. This is great for meeting fellow guest and helps break the ice.

It seems to attract a fairly young, professional type group with quite a lot of people from Los Angeles/ Long Beach type areas who pop out for the weekend. Rates at the weekends are much higher than week time. We spent 4 nights and had a great time and in addition to lying by the pool there is a lot of things to do, and great restaurants nearby. Most people had cars and I think it is needed as although things are fairly nearby it is too hot to walk and cabs are expensive.

You can see photos I have posted on tripadvisor and visit my blog to see a video of the room at:

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9  Thank bembridge
Reviewed August 16, 2006

My husband and I spent 6 nights at the Movie Colony Hotel in a suite (The Frank Sinatra Suite) and it was just superb. It was worth getting the suite as it was nice and spacious, particularly in the living room downstairs which led straight to the cabana and pool. Our door actually opened onto the pool!

Upstairs the bedroom led onto quite a large balcony with great views. The bathroom is very small and the pressure of the shower is quite weak but this is the only downside.

The staff members are very friendly and helpful. The drinks each evening are enjoyable. Sometimes we had the martinis at our cabana by the pool.

The breakfast is very peaceful and relaxed. You help yourself to pastries, juices, fresh fruit and yoghurt. It would be good if they had another table close to the bar area as sometimes we had to wait - they could fit one or two more.

The location of the hotel is also great, a short stroll to all of the shops and restaurants. For the entire duration of our stay it was very quiet and relaxing - no noisy children, which was great.

Definitely stay at this hotel when in Palm Springs.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
7  Thank PLM2
Reviewed August 9, 2006

My wife an I stayed here in late July for a couple of nights. I am interested in Architecture and had wanted to see Palm Springs as part of a longer trip to the West Coast.

Palm Springs itself is a little boring with not much to do so we felt 2 nights was long enough.

The Movie Colony is a little hip hotel, with a very Palm Springs kind of vibe, both relaxed and cool. The decor is contemporary but with a nod to the past (Art Deco kind of style). The room we had, a terrace, was simple but clean and well kept and there is nice little pool which we relaxed by, most of the time on our own. Very quiet and nice.

The hotel is in my view excellent value for money and if you are in the neighborhood looking for a short break or passing through Palm Springs then I can recommend it without hesitation and I would definately go back there should I find myself in the area again.

I found the staff to be really helpful and pleasant.

Stayed: July 2006