“Fun retro weekend at the Movie colony”
Review of Movie Colony Hotel

Movie Colony Hotel
Ranked #56 of 74 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed September 21, 2006

Movie colony hotel has small but boutique hotel-style rooms with lush bedding and cool decor in a renovated mid-century building. Bathrooms are small but up to date and our room didn't have much of a sitting area. But, there was a great TV, DVD system, and a nice terrace. We loved the martini hour around the firepit; felt like it was 1950 and we might bump into Frank Sinatra! There was a lovely breakfast buffet with make-your-own french press coffee. The staff was very friendly and the location was fine for a 5 minute walk to downtown Palm Springs.

• Stayed: August 2006
6  Thank tmpclp

Reviewed September 2, 2006

This is a small “boutique” style hotel that has18 rooms. This style of hotel / guest house seems to be the approach that is offered as the norm in Palm Springs – and it works well for a visit to this city.

The hotel itself is really good and I would strongly recommend this as a place to stay if visiting. It is very attractively designed with flair and style and quirky furniture that sets it apart for the norm. This is such a refreshing change, as these days hotels and guesthouses all seem to be merging into a kind of bland sameness. The hotel was originally built in the 1930s, but has been extensively modernized and expanded although the 1930s feel still applies.

The staff are all very friendly, without being too “in your face” but are always there with advice and help if you need any.

We stayed in one of the “townhouses” (Sinatra Townhouse) that is on 2 levels with a lounge area that leads onto the pool, which as well as being nice has the added advantage that you have loungers at your front door guaranteeing a great place by the pool. There is a large TV, mini-bar and very funky u-shaped sofa. I have posted pictures to show all of this. Upstairs is the bedroom with very comfortable king bed, small bathroom with shower and a patio with loungers. Apparently this is the patio that the Door’s singer Jim Morrison took a running leap from to dive into the pool in the 1960s. Not something the management encourage, nor would be advised! The bathroom is ok and the only part of the hotel that lacks a “wow” factor.

The pool is great and is 7 feet deep in the deep end and 3 and a half feet in the shallow end.

There is a bar area in the courtyard with very good complimentary breakfast spread of bagels, muffins, pastries, granola, yoghurt etc. They also have coffee, tea, fruit etc all day and in the evening an hour of wine and the house cocktail. This is great for meeting fellow guest and helps break the ice.

It seems to attract a fairly young, professional type group with quite a lot of people from Los Angeles/ Long Beach type areas who pop out for the weekend. Rates at the weekends are much higher than week time. We spent 4 nights and had a great time and in addition to lying by the pool there is a lot of things to do, and great restaurants nearby. Most people had cars and I think it is needed as although things are fairly nearby it is too hot to walk and cabs are expensive.

You can see photos I have posted on tripadvisor and visit my blog to see a video of the room at:

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9  Thank bembridge
Reviewed August 16, 2006

My husband and I spent 6 nights at the Movie Colony Hotel in a suite (The Frank Sinatra Suite) and it was just superb. It was worth getting the suite as it was nice and spacious, particularly in the living room downstairs which led straight to the cabana and pool. Our door actually opened onto the pool!

Upstairs the bedroom led onto quite a large balcony with great views. The bathroom is very small and the pressure of the shower is quite weak but this is the only downside.

The staff members are very friendly and helpful. The drinks each evening are enjoyable. Sometimes we had the martinis at our cabana by the pool.

The breakfast is very peaceful and relaxed. You help yourself to pastries, juices, fresh fruit and yoghurt. It would be good if they had another table close to the bar area as sometimes we had to wait - they could fit one or two more.

The location of the hotel is also great, a short stroll to all of the shops and restaurants. For the entire duration of our stay it was very quiet and relaxing - no noisy children, which was great.

Definitely stay at this hotel when in Palm Springs.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
7  Thank PLM2
Reviewed August 9, 2006

My wife an I stayed here in late July for a couple of nights. I am interested in Architecture and had wanted to see Palm Springs as part of a longer trip to the West Coast.

Palm Springs itself is a little boring with not much to do so we felt 2 nights was long enough.

The Movie Colony is a little hip hotel, with a very Palm Springs kind of vibe, both relaxed and cool. The decor is contemporary but with a nod to the past (Art Deco kind of style). The room we had, a terrace, was simple but clean and well kept and there is nice little pool which we relaxed by, most of the time on our own. Very quiet and nice.

The hotel is in my view excellent value for money and if you are in the neighborhood looking for a short break or passing through Palm Springs then I can recommend it without hesitation and I would definately go back there should I find myself in the area again.

I found the staff to be really helpful and pleasant.

Stayed: July 2006
6  Thank gofer
Reviewed July 31, 2006

My wife and I visited this property in July, 2006. After finding it accidentally on the internet, we decided to book a Terrace Room (almost booked one of the suites, I’ll explain later).

After booking, we started having doubts due to the price and not knowing much about the property, but after talking to the staff, we were convinced to stay. We can honestly say, THANK YOU for convincing us!!

From the moment we arrived, the service began! Bruce came OUTSIDE to escort us in. He explained AND showed us the local restaurants, what to do, where to go, etc.! Talk about service! He then walked us to our room to make sure it was cold enough, and it was! As mentioned before, we almost didn’t stay here, or go to Palm Springs at all, this day happened to be the HOTTEST on record (for that date)!!! But from the moment we saw the property and our room, we new we had made the right decision!

There was only one other couple by the pool, and we really enjoyed meeting them (a couple from Texas ;), great people! Everyone else was either out and about or in their room, and boy did they miss out! There is usually a cocktail reception in the middle of the property (REAL NICE BAR and ‘patio’ area), however, being that it was so hot, Bruce offered to make us a pitcher of MARTINI’S and bring a bottle of wine to our room. Being that we stayed by the pool, Bruce personally served us by the pool, what service!!! Also, some of the resorts that do offer a 'free' cocktail reception are very 'tight' with the liquor, not here, very generous and very good 'stuff'!!

And what about the ‘continental breakfast’? AWESOME!! Quality is the word that comes to mind! FRESH bagels, pastry’s, fruit, avocados, toast, coffee, juices, and more, you wouldn’t find this kind of quality at the Ritz, trust me, we’ve stayed there many times!

Going back to the rooms: The Terrace Rooms are NICE, and the terraces are LARGE! Ours had a table, two chairs and two lounge chairs, and still MORE ROOM! The room itself, large and plenty of space, super nice!! The carpet was fine; you don’t need shoes as one person mentioned before! THE BED, the most comfortable bed we’ve ever had in a hotel, PERIOD! Bruce was also kind enough to show us the suite, if you can afford it, GET ONE!!!! They are one of the nicest suites I’ve seen, it’s like you have your own cabana, literally steps to the pool!

Another thing that impressed us: We wanted to upgrade to a suite, and there was one available, however, one of the rooms was not cooling properly, so Bruce wanted to ask the couple that were staying in the hot room first if they preferred to move to the available suite. See, to me, this was a HUGE deal. This shows that this property TRULY cares about their guests! Most hotels would’ve taken the money and upgraded us immediately, without ANY consideration to the other guest. For this Bruce, you truly proved that you and this property provide World Class service!

I can go on and on, but hopefully you ‘get the drift’: If you can stay here, DO IT, you won’t regret it, we will definitely be back soon!
IF I had something negative to say, it would be the pool, and it’s not the size of it or the conditions of it, but the water was HOT!! I know it’s not the hotels fault, so you can’t consider this a legitimate complaint!

So if you want to be pampered, be treated like a ‘star’, The Movie Colony Hotel is definitely THEE place to stay!

Bruce, we’ll see you soon my friend!

James n Lori……

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
10  Thank klfhngr
Reviewed June 11, 2006

This is the perfect hotel if you just want to get away. It is very quiet, a good place to relax. Although there isn't a bar in the lobby. They do have a complimentary breakfast in the morning and wine in the evening. The best advice I can give is take slippers! If you try to walk on the carpet without slippers or sandals, you will be sorry. Its almost like walking on prickly rope. Location is very good, it was just a short walk to the main strip.

• Stayed: February 2006