“Dirty!”
Review of Movie Colony Hotel

Movie Colony Hotel
Ranked #57 of 74 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I wanted to believe it would be a quaint, retro spot. I expected that it would have drawbacks but that I would overlook them because of the mid century "charm" - but I couldn't.

The carpet was stained and disgusting. The furniture was stained and broken in some places. The shutters were partially broken, there was no stopper in the sink, there were extra holes still in the wall where they had moved towel bars. The soap holder in the shower was worn through to the base plastic, the shower drain was chipped and nasty looking. I couldnt get the water hot in the morning and the temp changed randomly, like another room had run their water and I'd lose my hot water.

The door wouldn't close right and twice when I returned to the room the door was ajar when I thought I had locked it, oh yeah they still use regular keys in the locks, not magnetic cards. so gawd knows who still has a key to your room.

Most other negative items other reviewers mentioned, I experienced those too, I just don't want to spend and hour recalling all the bad things.

Nice enough staff, but a run down nasty place that I would never stay at again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank AdamAndMelody

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We just enjoyed a three night stay here, in a poolside room. The staff was super friendly and helpful! The continental breakfast and nightly happy hour were really nice to have. Only 16 rooms, a pool and jacuzzi open 24hrs and no lil tykes allowed. Nice.
We were able to walk or bike everywhere.
The building is retro and is a little piece of history, so if you are looking for a cookie cutter chain hotel, stay away and leave it to us that appriciate historical Palm Springs.
Thanks, we would love to return.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sookisue
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Laying out by the pool, tunes by Sinatra, Martin and Buble filled the warm air. Great atmosphere for those who just want to relax and rest in beautiful Palm Springs. I stayed in a classic room which had a King size bed, a simple bathroom with fantastic water pressure, couple of couch like chairs, and a flat screen tv. From 8:30AM to 10:30AM the hotel provides a continental breakfast which consisted of bagels, cream cheese, jams and honey, granola cereal, fruit, yogurt, coffee, teas, oj and ice water. In the evening, oh my goodness, it's happy hour time with wine and in house made cocktails. Superb! There are bicycles for use by hotel guests which was a great means of transportation for those who just wanted to cruise the nearby downtown area. The only couple of downsides that I noticed was that the location, although quite close to downtown and nearby restaurants, only has one restaurant nearby (El Mirasol). The other restaurant I frequented which was only 3 blocks away was Trio. Both restaurants were fantastic. The last downside was the temperature of the pool. It was cold!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank JenFromPtown
Reviewed October 17, 2012

This feels like a converted motel that is now quite long in the tooth. The overall decor which was once nicer is now shabby. On the positive side the rooms are large and decks spacious. The rugs are filthy. We enjoyed Palm Springs but were disappointed in the Movie Colony.

Room Tip: High floor has less noise.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Thomas P
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We were really looking forward to staying here. When we arrived, after waiting over 5 minutes for hotel staff to come to the desk, we were informed that you must be 21 to stay at the hotel because there is no fence around the pool. Our son is 12. There is nothing on their website about this rule. Also, there is no staff member onsite overnight.

The front desk lady said she would call the hotel next door to see if they had rooms and spoke to the owner about letting us stay. Both times she acted like it was my oversight that led to the problem. She was not friendly but said we could say if my son stayed out of the pool. Yes, let's keep the kid who has been in the car since dawn out of the pool! They only reason I book hotels with pools is for him to work out his wiggles.

It was clear to me that we were NOT their target market. After her suggestion that we could check with the Marriot, I said I would handle it myself and went out to the car and used my Trip Advisor app to find the Days Inn. So glad we did.

Even if we were over 21, I think I would not stay here. The staff person was unhelpful, seemed uninterested in our plight, and whatever the pictures look like, the place is tiny. Boutique is an apt description.

Room Tip: The road is loud so get a room as far away from it as possible
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Lifelearners
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I loved loved loved this place. There are only 18 units, and is truly a boutique hotel. We had a 2nd floor terrace room overlooking the courtyard (not the pool) and it was spacious, and was decorated so nicely. The photos on their website do not lie. The landscaping is beautiful and the views of the nearby mountain ranges are great. There's a complimentary daily Happy Hour and morning breakfast at the "bar" in the courtyard. This is a nice way to meet fellow travelers and compare notes and sightseeing ideas.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LKotsonas
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Loved this place. I scored a summer special and we stayed 1 night. LOVED that it is 21 and over!!! The staff was wonderful, happy hour was a pleasant surprise, the bed was comfortable, the outdoor patio was secluded. We didn't get in the pool but I like that it is open 24 hours.

We walked a couple of blocks to have dinner and then walked to downtown from there. It was wonderful! My only complaint is the floor is woven jute and it hurt my feet to walk on it. That will not stop me from going back!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple