“Only place I will stay when I visit Palm Springs”
Review of Movie Colony Hotel

Movie Colony Hotel
Ranked #59 of 75 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed June 7, 2012

I can't say enough about my Girlfriend's Getaway where I was lucky enough to book two roons at the Movie Colony Hotel this past March. It was the best time ever and we are all talking about going back just to stay at the Movie Colony Hotel and not even leave the grounds! It was so relaxing and we loved the complimentary breakfast and happy hour with the other guests that we felt like we knew everyone and looked forward to catching up with what others had done during the day. The staff felt like family and went out of their way to make sure we were enjoying ourselves. The resort is peaceful and we enjoyed the pool and spa. Just the perfect amount of sun and shade throughout the day. Next time we swear we are going to use the complimentary bikes and explore that way instead of the easy walk into town and to some great restaurants. High recommend this place!!!

Room Tip: I don't think their is a bad room in the place, we had one by the pool that was super nice and h...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 29, 2012

I've been trying to book The Movie Colony Hotel the last few times I've visited Palm Springs and each time, it's been full. This past Memorial Day Weekend, we succeeded and stopped by for 2 nights with another couple. The service here is truly spectacular. We got a mini guided tour of the property when we checked in by one of the most genuinely friendly/helpful hotel employees I've ever encountered. I can't recall her name but she was there all weekend, checking to make sure we had enough towels, giving directions to restaurants and even bringing cocktails by the pool during their free Happy Hour - ummm, awesome! They have a fully stocked bar area with coffee cups, plates, blender, microwave, etc. and lemon and cucumber water pitchers out all day. There are also six beach cruisers available for use.

The rooms themselves were nice and stylish but some of the communal features were a little run down: the umbrellas, some of the pool loungers, etc. The pool also needed to be cleaned up a bit. The only true negative (and this was no fault of the hotel) was that there was a large, rowdy wedding party staying there that was really obnoxious and noisy.

All and all, I would definitely recommend this hotel again! :)

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2012

I admit that my review of this hotel might be slightly clouded by the fact that I did not really like Palm Springs, and would not bother staying there again, but I will try and be objective. Palm Springs has a lot of reasonably priced accommodation on offer, and wading through all the hotels in order to choose one was a bit of a challenging task. I eventually chose this hotel for location, cost and it’s architectural heritage and booked one of the ‘town houses’ by the pool. The extra space was nice, but overall the room wasn’t somewhere I wanted to spend too long in. As with a lot of architecturally interesting places, it looked the part but wasn’t exactly comfortable or amazing inside, in fact in places I would say it was rather shabby. It was however, perfectly adequate, and for the price I would not complain, but just felt that it could have been better.

The hotel does offer a couple of welcome complimentary extras – Cocktail hour between 5:30 & 6:30 where wine, beer and sake martini (which was delicious) are available, and also a free continental breakfast, but you need to get there early for that otherwise there tends to be nothing but cereal left. I can’t remember the exact times that was on offer, but the front desk to give you that information on check in.

Due to our plans changing we only ended up spending 2 nights here. That was enough for me and I would not have wanted to stay longer, although that was mostly because I was glad to leave Palm Springs!

1  Thank jc76
Reviewed April 30, 2012

Stylish exterior restored to mid-century decor. Loved the intimacy of this small hotel, coming down to the breakfast bar in the morning in the robe provided, then lounging by the pool with my coffee. The entry level room was on the small side with just a shower and no tub. But that shower head delivered with great force, a rarity in water-conscious California, and especially welcome in a climate where you're taking three showers a day! Plumbing was noisy and sometimes the toilet ran after flushing and the shower dripped unless you were careful to push in the knob to just the right angle with the correct amount of force. Liked the larger refrigerator, never used the TV, too busy! Good AC. Well-lit room for reading and liked the dimmer switches.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Top notch service from the staff. Great atmosphere(quiet, classy). Good breakfast/happy hour.

1  Thank jmbLosAngeles
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Amazing hotel in Palm Springs. My wife and I stayed 3 nights to celebrate our anniversary. Even though we stayed in the simplest room they offer, it had everything we needed: flat screen TV with cable, wifi, mini-fridge, air conditioning, comfortable bed, quality sheets, iron, etc...; and even though our room didn't have a bath tub, their shower head was high pressure so the showers felt really good .
The daily breakfast(although very simple) is a plus; also, the complementary wine/drink offered in the evenings was much appreciated. The grounds are very well kept; the pool and jacuzzi were always clean and ready to be enjoyed. Also, they have available bikes to use for free throughout the day if you want to explore the city this way.
In conclusion, my wife and I were very happy with our choice; this is the place to stay and explore Palm Springs. It is right in the downtown area; you don't even have to use your car to visit the shops. In comparison to all those big name hotels that charge you more and give you less, this place felt secluded, safe and home-like. My wife and I are already planning our next say here.

PS The hotel workers are available until 7 pm. If you plan to check in after 7 pm, please call ahead to receive easy instructions as to how to access your room.

3  Thank MizterLara
Reviewed April 3, 2012

When my wife and I book our getaway weekends to Palm Springs, our first choice is always the Movie Colony. We've been to other hotels which we liked, but keep coming back to the MC because of the superior location, friendly staff and cool architecture/vibe. Closing the front desk at 7ish doesn't bother us.

This time we saved a few bucks NOT renting a car and taxing from PSP... then for our meals, we walked a half block to our fav hipster bar/restaurant (Birba), breakfast spot (Cheeky's), and delish mexican and margaritas (El Mirasol). If you haven't been to this part of downtown or "uptown" recently, it is worth checking out... definitely hopping in the high season. During the day, we lounged by the pool and explored some of the charming neighborhoods on bikes supplied by the hotel. Looking forward to the next time!

Room Tip: many different types to choose from. the pool side rooms are always fun. talk to the front desk
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple