“Great place!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Escape

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Escape
Los Angeles, California
“Great place!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

I enjoyed my stay at Escape. I don’t have anything negative to say about the place because there wasn’t anything negative. The owners and the people that worked there were awesome. They literally felt like a family of friends. They’re not overly in your business and they’re not evasive…like me. : ) They move at your speed. Very California laidback and you feel comfortable with them.

The place itself is very nice and quaint. All the rooms are lined up in one strip on one side of the place. They face the pool and Jacuzzi. Some units have a private patio and all seem to have a table and two chairs set up out front if you don’t feel like hanging by the pool area. At night everything is lit up nicely. There’s music playing in the background to ad to the ambiance.

Palm Springs is what you make of it and depending on what time of year you go to stay at these places and what type of crowd is staying at the hotel during your visit, I’m sure that can make or break your visit. I was at this place during the Summer so it’s really difficult to accurately gauge what the clientele is like during a busier time period. I’m guessing a diverse mix of all ages. It was a much calmer relaxing time. The clientele was maybe 30’s-40’s during this particular visit if that matters to you. Although as far as what goes on at night or in some corner of the hotel I didn’t notice anything like that during my stay, but it wouldn’t have bothered me nor anyone else that was there I imagine. As long as everyone’s having a good time. I highly recommend trying out “Escape”. It may become your new escape away from home.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank dudelit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

I admit I was hesitant to return to this new hotel, only because I was so familiar with it when it was Chestnutz. The former owner Jim was a rather extraordinary man, and I grew to admire him very much with each visit. He set a wonderful tone for the place and did his best to make each guest’s stay as enjoyable as possible. When the hotel sold, I wondered if I should return or move on to new pastures for my Palm Springs visits.

I made the decision to return, and I’m glad I did. First, the place has been polished and shined in very appealing ways. The new pool is beautiful and a real centerpiece to the property. There is a casual elegance to it that invites you to relax and lounge away the day. This pool area still has one of the best orientations in town, meaning its location gets full sun all day so that you aren’t moving chaises every 10 minutes. While I miss some of the rose gardens and hedges that lined the property, the new landscaping is actually an improvement, very stylish and elegant. The same can be said for the remodeled rooms. The design and color schemes are more muted and monochromatic, with an emphasis on functionality and comfort. I can tell that a lot of thought has gone into the room design, taking into consideration what works well in a hotel environment. Everything was clean and well maintained. I still think this hotel has one of the best locations in town, away from the madness and scary stuff that happens in some parts of town, off on a quiet side-street in a cloister of other small gay hotels.

I am also glad to report that it was extremely easy to like the new owners, Greg and Mark. They have the same ease, friendliness and warmth that made the place so nice before. They also have the enthusiasm and energy that will make the place successful. I can tell when someone really enjoys their work or is just going through the motions. Greg and Mark make you feel like they are genuinely glad to have you there. While there are still things that are pleasant reminders of the old place, they have done a great job of creating their own environment and tone to the property.

I’m glad I went back, and I will go back again. I encourage others to check it out.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2011

We stayed only one night at Escape in our first trip to Palm Springs. We enjoyed the the clean, modern feel of the resort and the updates Mark and Greg have made. They were very aware of us, recognizing our anniversary with a complimentary bottle of wine.

• Stayed July 2011
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2011

Friendly yet unobtrusive hosts, tastefully remodeled room, clean pool area, lush landscaping, and comfortable spa make this a resort I'd return to. I wish there were more umbrellas by the pool, but other than that a great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2011

From the first moment we arrived till the turning in of the keys – the experience was perfect. They have a lovely pool area with enough chairs/lounges for everyone. The hotel was totally booked for Memorial Day weekend and brought in a very fun, diverse crowd. There weekend ‘socials’ really was a nice touch in helping meeting the fellow guests. Wonderful stay and will return.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Metuchen, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2011

What a pleasure it was to be in Palm Springs after cold snowy winter the NE states experienced this year. Adding to my pleasure was selecting to stay at Escape. I was looking for a relaxing 5 days and happily got exactly what I wanted. Mark and Greg are doing a wonderful job attending to their guests and in refurbishing their newly acquired hotel. The pool and grounds are wonderfully quiet and the atmosphere peaceful. Mark greeted me at the gate, showed me around and ensured all was right during my entire stay. My room was a recent remodel - comfortable and easy. Bedding was comfortable. Closet and storage for clothes was ample. The other guests sharing my weekend were a friendly mix of California locals, out-of-staters, and foreigners. Mark and Greg host a cocktail social on weekends which allows for breaking the ice between fellow guests. I look forward to staying at Escape again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2011

It was some curiosity and a little trepidation that I returned to Escape for my 3rd visit this year. Actually, I had known it as Chestnutz in its previous incarnation and the property was sold by Jim and Paul to Mark and Greg in July, 2010. My anticipation built, however, when visiting their website several times as the various changes, renovations, and up-dates began taking place. Seeing what had been wrought first-hand, however, allayed all my apprehensions.

Mark and Greg have begun to do outstanding work. Lighter colored outdoor and indoor walls and new furnishings give the place a sleeker look. There's been judicious pruning done to the abundant and well-maintained flora and the pool walls and bottom have been painted white (per city regulations, I understand). What hasn't changed is the attentive, personal service which bespeaks "the guest is king" attitude inherited by the new owners. The continental breakfast is still more than adequate and the convivial Friday/Saturday social hour has been reinstituted from the old days. There's still an "honor bar" with low-priced soft drinks and complimentary airport pick-ups can be arranged as well. The essential "vibe" of the place has been skillfully maintained with fellow guests being invitingly congenial and all-together decent. One does not encounter a scintilla of "attitude" or posing here.

My customary room was still being renovated, so I was placed two doors down in a newly redecorated room. A new wall-mounted HD television and DVD system has created more floor space. Gilchrist & Soames toiletries are still provided in the bathroom as are plentiful and luxuriant towels. There's a powerful double showerhead (somewhat ironic since the stall itself is somewhat small) and plenty of hot water. I would have only two suggestions. The handsome bed (Ikea, perhaps?) is comfortable but rather close to the floor for an aging geezer like me to, uh, spring from in the morning. And like many hotels, there is inadequate lamp wattage for reading after dark. Realizing a lot of guys don't come to Palm Springs to read, I suggested to Mark that they invest in one or two halogen floor lamps for guests who might wish to borrow one as oppsed to equipping each room with such an accoutrement.

I'll be happy to re-book at Escape next year. In fact, I may try to get out there even before in that as I've found a wonderful hostelry tradition maintained and tastefully up-dated as well.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple