“Nice, well run property”

East Canyon Hotel and Spa
Reviewed May 18, 2008

We recently made our first trip to Palm Springs and wanted to stay somewhere nice, so we selected the East Canyon Spa based on it's Five Palms and Cherries Ratings. We were not quite sure that the place is quite at that level, but it is a very nice and comfortable place to stay. Richard, the owner is around quite a bit and is most helpful with whatever you need, reservations, information, whatever. The breakfast is very nice, with a good selection and everything seemed very fresh. The parking was adequate for the number of rooms. Like other reviewers, we had a bit of an issue with the shower and the water pressure, but our real issue was with the pool. It is a nice pool, but there was dirt and derbris in the pool during our entire visit. I noticed it in the pool on our way to our room and the pool was never vacumned or cleaned as of the time we checked out (2 nights). The property overall seems to be clean and well-run, so we found it a bit odd that the pool was being neglected. We also were disappointed that even though the in-room book said housekeeping worked until 3, that our room wasn't cleaned because we didn't go out for lunch until 1pm, and the housekeeper had to go, according to the desk clerk. I will say, however, he was very nice and immediately brought me fresh towels...everyone there really tries to be accomodating. You will not go wrong by staying here.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 10, 2008

This is definitely a well kept, clean property run by an efficient staff. Very friendly and helpful.
However, our room's bathroom was not what we had imagined given the glistening photos on their website. The shower head was sub par and had awful pressure. The sink faucet splashed all over the counter. The grounds are green but not "lush tropical" as described on their site.
I'd probably stay there again given the peace and quiet, easy access to town, simple breakfast and good parking.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 27, 2008

Richard and his entire staff have successfully created an oasis in the desert. The East Canyon Hotel & Spa is the perfect place for a relaxing get-away. Surrounded by exquisite scenery, the hotel rooms and pubic spaces are nicely decorated, relaxing, comfortable, clean, and inviting. The onsite spa offers the usual treatments but performed by outstanding professionals, in fact everyone at the hotel are wonderful and provide a great experience. I loved it and can’t wait to return. GC, Room 23

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 11, 2007

I recently returned from an extremely pleasant stay at East Canyon Hotel and Spa. It was a surprise birthday treat for my boyfriend.

The staff was incredibly helpful (setting up dinner reservations, calling cabs, offering travel tips, etc.). At my request, they also had a chilled bottle of Dom Pérignon and strawberries in the room upon our arrival.

I found the enitre staff to be incredibly friendly, helpful yet unobtrusive. The owner, Richard, always had a smile and would often inquire about our day. Upon our departure, Richard actually gave us a goodbye hug and wished my boyfriend a "Happy Birthday". I thought that was very sweet.

We booked the Grand Suite which was nice and private. The bathroom was huge (2-person shower, 2-person jacuzzi, double sinks). Unfortunately, I found some of the livingroom furniture to be a bit worn (yet comfy). And the bedroom was a tad dark for my liking (no windows).

I loved the size and privacy of the Grand Suite. However, the next time I stay at East Canyon, I'll request Room 23 (two doors down) because it has the best view of the surrounding mountains.

The centrally-located pool is in excellent condition and very refreshing! Although the outdoor jacuzzi is small, it's adequate. One evening my boyfriend and I were soaking in the jacuzzi and were joined by two other hotel guests (there was plenty of room to spare).

We took advantage of the spa treatments and loved our experiences! We booked the "Relax" package (steam, aroma therapy, swedish massage and facial). The licensed therapists are wonderful at their crafts and the treatments were well worth the price. It was nice to feel pampered!

The breakfast selection could be expanded a bit to include more "carb-friendly" items. Having bagels, muffins, fruit, and OJ every morning can pack on the pounds.

My only real complaint is this: one day my boyfriend and I returned from an afternoon outing and found our door had been left wide open. Luckily, nothing was missing (except for a handful of cashews). Apparently, whoever had been in our room was hungry at the time.

I, of course, talked to the front desk about this incident. The explanation I received was not satisfactory. I was told that the cleaning person had the day off so one of the hotel employees was tasked with cleaning rooms. As the gentleman at the front desk explained, "He's a real space cadet. He probably opened your door to clean your room, left to get something, then forgot to come back and went home."

As I said, nothing was missing (we had money and jewelry on the nightstand) but it was obviously a bit disconcerting and I expected a better explanation (and, perhaps, a heartfelt apology).

Despite that incident, we loved our stay at East Canyon and I highly recommend the hotel to other gay travelers.

Note: If you're looking for a wild time, poolside nudity, cruising, etc., I'd recommend booking elsewhere. The East Canyon is a pleasant alternative to that type of environment.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2007

We stayed at the East Canyon several times in the early 2000s. After a change of ownership we didn’t know how things would develop and stayed at the Hacienda several times to play it safe. This trip was to see how things have gone at the East Canyon and we enjoyed our stay very much. We also like the Hacienda but found the East Canyon to be just as nice, more personal and more reasonably priced - e.g. the weekend rates start on Thursday at the Hacienda. The rooms were updated recently at the East Canyon and everything was spotless. Michael, the manager and Richard, the owner were always around and available for "concierge services" like dinner reservations etc. The Hacienda and the East Canyon are good choices for people looking for upscale gay accommodations without the sleaziness of some Palm Springs guesthouses. We presently prefer the East Canyon.

• Stayed: October 2007
3  Thank fgm4
Reviewed September 16, 2007

East Canyon hotel is truly the perfect desert oasis. Richard and his terrific staff do everything to insure your comfort. This is not a pretentious , attitude laden place. It is a intimate exclusive enclave designed for relaxation and restoration. The rooms are spot on, the pool area is central to the whole property, and the spa services are truly some of the best I've had in the world. As a single traveler, I felt more than comfortable. There were other singles, couples and groups of friends stayng at the same time. This is not a party central, sleazy hotel. You can have the vacation you want— be it complete relaxation, or using the property as a retreat from the Palm Springs party scene, literally only blocks away—this it truly a special place that provides everything you could want without any attitude or annoyance. Do everything or do nothing, this is the place. Do yourself a favour and book a spa treatment when you make a reservation. It's sooooo worth it.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank SanFranciscoMichael
Reviewed April 7, 2007

My partner and I just returned from a wonderfully relaxing week at the East Canyon. This is a lovely, quiet and well-appointed place to stay, which we highly recommend without reservation. It is no wonder it has won hospitality awards.

East Canyon isn't a large place and that is at the heart of its appeal. It is quiet and intimitately sized, and well laid out around a central garden/pool/hot tub with plenty of comfortable seating - at tables and on pool-side lounges.

Richard, the Innkeeper, is a genuinely kind and helpful person who is exactly the type of person who should be running an establishment like this. He and his staff have done their best to think of everything a guest might need to enjoy some time in the sun - from a sizable lending library for poolside reading, to making iced tea available on the patio every afternoon, to providing sun tanning products in the event you run out or require something with a stronger SPF than you packed. And if one doesn't want to leave the complex for lunch, Richard has a sandwich menu and, through an arrangement with a local eatery, will happily place an order for you.

We were in a Junior Suite, which is very spacious and well-appointed with luxe, stylish furnishings and very comfortable bedding.

Every morning, a small breakfast is set out - fresh fruit, yoghurt, muffins, breads and bagels, cereals, juices, etc. - the perfect way to start a day with one of a variety of newspapers (local and national) to which the Inn subscribes. It is also an opportunity to meet and speak with other guests and trade ideas about attractions and places to eat dinner. It appeared to us that most of our fellow travellers were couples and likely relatively comfortably off.

I'm recovering from cancer and am not as energetic or outgoing as I normally am. Richard and his staff really went out of their way to make sure I was comfortable.

Incidentally, the weather was remarkable - about 90 degrees and sunny each day - or about 60 degrees warmer than Toronto when we left! Although I had to stay out of the sun, I did enjoy reading quietly in the shade on the ample and lushly landscaped patio.

There are a variety of spa treatments available on-site. I took advantage of a massage and reflexology treatment, both of which were perfectly relaxing, therapeutic and expertly administered.

It is important to note, as have other reviewers, that this is NOT at all a cruisy hotel. Nor is it clothes-optional. If that is what you want from your Palm Springs experience, this is NOT the place for you. But if you want a well-appointed, well looked after, friendly, relaxing setting, you may have found a tiny piece of paradise at the East Canyon.

The only point I'd note for you is this - I dont think the pictures on the Inn's website do justice to the place - it is even more charming than the website photos suggest.

We look forward to returning, in better health, to enjoy more of the wonderful mid-century architecture and furnishings and accessories that abound in Palm Springs.

Stayed: April 2007