“You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave!”
Review of Hotel California

Hotel California
Ranked #2 of 75 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed June 7, 2014

This little place is truly a gem. My 2nd time in palm springs so I decided to stay here with my g/f for our anniversary. I have to say, I have never...had such a relaxing, peaceful and nice time at any hotel/motel/resort in my life! The staff here really go out of their way to make you feel at home. We arrived on a Friday night a little before 9 and was greeted by Curly who offered us drinks, water and a beer for me and offered to carry our bags. Our room was clean, air conditioned with water, soda and a little basket of treats ready for us. This whole place only has 13 rooms, no pets or little kids allowed with a rule to keep it quiet after 9pm, All the guests respect this so it is very peaceful. All guests have access to a shared kitchen, 2 bbq grills, lounge room with sofa and tv with a good amount of dvd's you can watch there or take back to your room. Along with beach cruisers you can borrow and limo service! You also get free WiFi and you get a number on your room key that you can use at the local Ralphs for rewards discounts. We also met a few other couples there that were very nice. No glass is allowed at the pool area, but you can drink. No smoking anywhere except the smoking area where the bbq grills are and outside the main gate. We had such a great experience here and enjoyed every minute of it. Hated having to leave on Sunday and head back to reality. If you are looking for a romantic getaway, this is the place. If you want a spring break party scene with non stop noise then i would look somewhere else. I will be coming back here on my next stay without a doubt!!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Frank C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,621)

Reviewed June 5, 2014

My girlfriends and I stayed at Hotel California for an extended long weekend, and we had such an amazing time! This place is all about service, and from the moment we arrived, to the moment we left, we were looked after. All the extra value added touches made such a difference - using the complimentary bikes, movie collection, bbq, and refreshments by the pool! This is a special place and would also make a perfect romantic getaway. We loved our stay and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank 245swilson
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Want to feel like you have arrived to overnight with good friends? The service here is so welcoming and the inn so intimate that it is the perfect antidote to the life most of us live-crazy and always multi-tasking. The staff here makes the visit. Slow down, drive around and look at all the really cool architecture and when you are done exploring the town allow the staff to show you all the ways you can kick back and relax here at their "every-detail-already -thought-of" oasis in the desert. We will certainly return.

2  Thank Cailene
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We booked this hotel entirely based on the great reviews and we weren't disappointed--this place is an absolute gem with an extraordinary staff. Even though we arrived several hours earlier than planned, Curly showed us right to our room and gave us a tour of the facilities. And when we told Kirby that we were taking a bike ride around the adjacent neighborhoods, he drew us a detailed map and made sure that we had plenty of cold water to take with us. There may be more luxurious hotels in Palm Springs but none that are more relaxing and fun. Hotel California has it all: beautifully landscaped grounds, a super attentive staff and lots of little touches that make you feel right at home.

Room Tip: The rooms near the pool are the nicest
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cadien
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I am starting to think that the entire staff ...Larry, Curly, Mike, Kirby and everyone else has a decided hole in their collective lexicon. They do not know how to say "No." They do not know how to disappoint. "Sorry, we can't do that" is not in their realm. Losing Lucy to her heartthrob should have set them back (a lot....seriously...A LOT!). While Curly is not nearly as easy to look at, he brings an expertise and sense of hospitality with style that makes the transition virtually seamless. My wife feels it necessary to try and add a few days at our desert hideaway to any foray more than 100 miles west of our Minnesota home. I can't blame her. We have been spoiled beyond repair.

3  Thank gjbeau
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Hotel California is a fantastic property. Not the fanciest, but very cool looking. Spanish style property with terracotta tiles throughout, beautiful lush landscaping, very private. Very romantic property. Owners pay very close attention to detail and is very welcoming to guests. From goody baskets in rooms, to a big beautiful kitchen that is open to everyone to open BBQ's anyone can use (you don't even need to clean up) they will do it for you!!! The owners have thought of everything. From the moment you walk through the door you are offered water, beer or wine...Vacation has begun!! Beautiful pool and hot tub with misters blowing 24/7 which cools everything down. Beautiful lighting that makes this place look like a oasis, you forget you in the desert. So very iimpressed for sure. Highly recommend. Close enough to all the festivities of downtown, and just far enough to unwind in a beautiful peaceful oasis. Perfect!!

Room Tip: No fitness Center or Room Service, but who wants to work out on vacation. Who cares about room serv...
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I booked this hotel after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor as I couldn't believe the hotel had so many excellent ratings and wanted to see it for myself. And I was not disappointed. It really is worth every compliment, every good rating and every high mark. From the time I booked it til the time I checked out it was a pleasure.

On arriving at the hotel we were greeted by Curly, the general manager, who immediately made us feel welcome, asked us to sit down and offered us wine, lager, tea, coffee, soft drink. A few minutes later with a chilled chardonnay in my hand we were laughing with Curly as he chatted to us and checked us in. He then gave us a tour of the hotel which was quaint, homely and had everything we could need. There was a guest lounge with hundreds of DVDs and books for you to use. A TV and DVD player in this lounge too, along with games, restaurant menus and a telephone for you to use free - to anywhere in the world - wow! Then he took us to the kitchen which was equipped with everything you need to cook a meal, inc BBQ. Fresh coffee, fresh fruit and strawberry liquorice available all day. Free ice in freezer in handy packs for you to use in your room. Next was the pool and hot tub which was in a little mediterranean courtyard covered in Palm trees to help you have some shade. Plenty of towels and even suntan lotion for you to use.

By the time I was shown the room, I felt right at home and comfortable. The room was wow...patio doors opened onto a bedroom with corner kitchen and ensure bathroom. Lots of free snacks to nibble on, soft drinks in the fridge and a bottle of pink champagne on ice (it was my husbands 50th birthday and the hotel gave the champers as a gift). Flat screen TV, DVD player, safe, other usual bits, so we were both happy. But best of all, when we opened our patio door and walked 4 steps we were in the pool ;-)

Day one was lovely and we really switched off and relaxed. Beautiful meal in a local restaurant, 5 mins from hotel and then sleep inthe queen bed with pillow mattress - bliss. And then the only problem - the A/C wasn't very cool. I wasn't bothered but my hubby likes sub zero temperatures so found it too warm. Being British (and not one to complain) we said nothing and relied on the ceiling fan to keep us cool. The following morning we mentioned it to Mike, who immediately said he would change the filter, which he did, but did t make a difference. Within 20 mins we had Curly and Larry also looking at it, after they had told us off for not mentioning this to them the night before as they really do want you to have a good time. After a further 20 mins they announced the AC was dead and needed replacing, so they upgraded us to a suite without further delay. Even though we were happy to wait for it to be fixed, they insisted. How about that for customer service?!

I was really sad to leave this delightful hotel, or as I've since called it, my 'other home'. If you want to stay in a quiet home from home hotel with impeccable service, then this is for you. We'll definitely be back. Thanks again to Larry, Curly and Mike. You are the perfect hosts.

Room Tip: Only 14 rooms in hotel and all look good. Room 2 is on ground floor with patio doors leading to pool...
1  Thank Maz24