“LOVED this hotel!”
Review of Hotel California

Hotel California
Ranked #2 of 74 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed March 12, 2012

My husband and wanted to get away to Palm Springs for the weekend and Hotel California was perfect for us. The staff was incredibly helpful and friendly. Gave us wonderful suggestions for dinner on the main strip. On our last night, my husband grilled steaks on one of the complimentary grills just off the kitchen and it was excellent! Rooms are large, clean, and quiet. Pool and spa outside are lovely. Perfect affordable getaway for adults who want quiet and relaxation (it's an adult only hotel). The limo service is great! Be sure to check out the remarkable hiking trail nearby too, only a ten minute drive from the hotel. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed March 11, 2012

Just returned from our trip to Palm Springs and wanted to spread the word of our great stay at the delightful Hotel California! When reading other reviews, I came across this one from Terry C. that almost says it all...

"Think intimate, enclosed California adobe courtyard, tropical landscaping, completely equipped communal kitchen should you desire your own cooking after a week of 'road food and THEY do the dishes. Think pool, hot tub, fire pit. Think 12 absolutely spanking immaculate rooms, nicely appointed, 300 count sheets, great mattresses, etc. Think of your best buddy in college as having gone into the hospitality business and who genuinely couldn't be happier to see you or to make certain that every single aspect of your stay is completely relaxing and personably memorable. Plus, he's a very funny guy. I don't know what Larry Stearns did before he did this, but I can tell you that he was born to be a hotelier [he would say, "A who?']. He can tell you where to eat, and he can tell you what to go see and he can get you reservations for all of it, take you there in a limo; but you will find yourself hard pressed, I'm betting, to to push yourself off the premises. Because it's quite simply going to be just about the best hotel experiece that you've ever had, anywhere. If 'three time's the charm', then I can't wait to return because I've already been completely charmed twice."

Totally agree with Terry's comments and need to add a few of my favorites...Every evening the pool/courtyard was illuminated by zillions of candles as we soaked in the jetted hottub with our beverage of choice. All rooms were booked, but to our delight, we seemed to be the only ones there night after night. We then picked a new DVD from the huge collection, printed anything we needed for the next day's adventures (computer/printer in Lobby), browsed the numerous menu's from local eateries for our next dinner and then crawled into our pillow-top bed for some of the best night's sleep in a long time. Woke the following AM to coffee, fresh fruit and newspaper in the kitchen which we enjoyed on our semi-private deck (Rm#12) as hummingbirds buzzed by our heads. Days spent lounging by the pool with great old tunes playing in the background made it hard to even want to venture out of our "oasis in the desert". Bicycles are available to cruise down to the local Espresso shop or golf clubs to play 9 holes a few blocks away. What more can I say? Hotel California was the highlight of our trip and may be reason enough alone to return to Palm Springs!

And we can't forget Lucy, Larry's daugther! What a sweetheart and bundle of energy who could answer/solve any question we had. We felt like family:)

Oh yeah, and the Limo driver only made us mad once! (just kiddin Jay:)

Wish there was a Hotel California in every city we visit! PERFECT!

Room Tip: Room #12 has the best view of surrounding mountains and courtyard/pool below and is totally private...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2012

Our stay at the Hotel California was one of the most memorable weekends we have ever spent. It wasn't fancy but luxurious and peaceful; we felt right at home. Larry greeted us in the parking lot as we pulled in and we were greeted with a warm welcome and a cold drink. The fire pit in the evening was one of our most favorite places to hang out. The fully stocked kitchen was such an amazing surprise ... when the weather turned windy, we were able to fix a wonderful fruit/cheese plate and cuddle up with a movie and cocktails. We will be back! Melody & Brian

Reviewed March 7, 2012

We don't have much to add to the rave reviews given to this hotel, only they are all true. It's a lovely place run by lovely people, who make you feel special and so welcome into their home....oops!!!...I mean establishment. See, that's how they made you feel...like family visiting their home. We sure hope to return next winter, that is if they still have availability after all the great reviews. There are only 12 rooms, you see. It was certainly a great escape for us, even though Connecticut winter weather wasn't so bad this year. (Yet.)

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank bardahl
Reviewed March 5, 2012

The Hotel California, Palm Springs [insert your own most completely, over-the-top postitive expletive here-that's what it's like] ! Seriously. Then get in line.
Over the past 30 years my wife and I, Texans, have vacationed, mostly by road trip, throughout much of Northern America, with a slight prejudice for the western half of the U.S. and Canada. We make it a point to seek out smaller, unique places to stay when we can, and, over time, have a handful of wonderful 'finds' to show for it. Three years ago, fate and a little internet research landed us at The Desert Rivera in Palm Springs on our way back home from B.C. I did not consider myself to really be a 'Palm Springs kind of guy', but it is an iconic place, so, just one night, to have been there.
The net result of this stopover was that, for the first time in my history, I was so taken with a place, and by extention, the people who run it, as to proffer my first, and to that point, my only [this is my second] review on TripAdvisor. I will not detain you with my listing of superlatives; read the other reviews. They are all correct.
When we had a chance to pass through southern California again this last February, I went on line immediately to book a second stay, only to discover that Larry [you, too, will be on a friendly first name basis if you stay there] and his crew, all family, had recently opened a second venue, The Hotel California, just down the street from the Riveria, so we stayed there. Think intimate, enclosed California adobe courtyard, tropical landscaping, completely equipped communal kitchen should you desire your own cooking after a week of 'road food and THEY do the dishes. Think pool, hot tub, fire pit. Think 12 absolutely spanking immaculate rooms, nicely appointed, 300 count sheets, great mattresses, etc. Think of your best buddy in college as having gone into the hospitality business and who genuinely couldn't be happier to see you or to make certain that every single aspect of your stay is completely relaxing and personably memorable. Plus, he's a very funny guy.

Reviewed March 5, 2012

Enjoyed everything about our stay at Hotel California. We hung out at the pool and patio area for much of our stay, relaxing in the heated pool. The lush landscaping with palm trees, flowers and hummingbirds darting about was beautiful. The owners couldn't have been more attentive and made sure that we were happy. We get up early, 5:30 a.m., and they always had fresh hot coffee ready and the newspaper. Would recommend this Hotel whole heartedly!

Reviewed March 5, 2012

This was our second trip to hotel California in palm springs; as expected everything was great. This time we utilized the complementary limousine service (tip requested)- and it worked out great. No DUI or parking worries!
Of note for observant Jews on vacation, is that there is a Chabad house one block away.

• Stayed: March 2012