“It's all true.....”

Ranked #2 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Eastern Connecticut
“It's all true.....”
Reviewed March 7, 2012

We don't have much to add to the rave reviews given to this hotel, only they are all true. It's a lovely place run by lovely people, who make you feel special and so welcome into their home....oops!!!...I mean establishment. See, that's how they made you feel...like family visiting their home. We sure hope to return next winter, that is if they still have availability after all the great reviews. There are only 12 rooms, you see. It was certainly a great escape for us, even though Connecticut winter weather wasn't so bad this year. (Yet.)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank bardahl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed March 5, 2012

The Hotel California, Palm Springs [insert your own most completely, over-the-top postitive expletive here-that's what it's like] ! Seriously. Then get in line.
Over the past 30 years my wife and I, Texans, have vacationed, mostly by road trip, throughout much of Northern America, with a slight prejudice for the western half of the U.S. and Canada. We make it a point to seek out smaller, unique places to stay when we can, and, over time, have a handful of wonderful 'finds' to show for it. Three years ago, fate and a little internet research landed us at The Desert Rivera in Palm Springs on our way back home from B.C. I did not consider myself to really be a 'Palm Springs kind of guy', but it is an iconic place, so, just one night, to have been there.
The net result of this stopover was that, for the first time in my history, I was so taken with a place, and by extention, the people who run it, as to proffer my first, and to that point, my only [this is my second] review on TripAdvisor. I will not detain you with my listing of superlatives; read the other reviews. They are all correct.
When we had a chance to pass through southern California again this last February, I went on line immediately to book a second stay, only to discover that Larry [you, too, will be on a friendly first name basis if you stay there] and his crew, all family, had recently opened a second venue, The Hotel California, just down the street from the Riveria, so we stayed there. Think intimate, enclosed California adobe courtyard, tropical landscaping, completely equipped communal kitchen should you desire your own cooking after a week of 'road food and THEY do the dishes. Think pool, hot tub, fire pit. Think 12 absolutely spanking immaculate rooms, nicely appointed, 300 count sheets, great mattresses, etc. Think of your best buddy in college as having gone into the hospitality business and who genuinely couldn't be happier to see you or to make certain that every single aspect of your stay is completely relaxing and personably memorable. Plus, he's a very funny guy.
I don't know what Larry Stearns did before he did this, but I can tell you that he was born to be a hotelier [he would say, "A who?']. He can tell you where to eat, and he can tell you what to go see and he can get you reservations for all of it, take you there in a limo; but you will find yourself hard pressed, I'm betting, to to push yourself off the premises. Because it's quite simply going to be just about the best hotel experiece that you've ever had, anywhere. If 'three time's the charm', then I can't wait to return because I've already been completely charmed twice.

Albany, Oregon
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Enjoyed everything about our stay at Hotel California. We hung out at the pool and patio area for much of our stay, relaxing in the heated pool. The lush landscaping with palm trees, flowers and hummingbirds darting about was beautiful. The owners couldn't have been more attentive and made sure that we were happy. We get up early, 5:30 a.m., and they always had fresh hot coffee ready and the newspaper. Would recommend this Hotel whole heartedly!

CA
Reviewed March 5, 2012

This was our second trip to hotel California in palm springs; as expected everything was great. This time we utilized the complementary limousine service (tip requested)- and it worked out great. No DUI or parking worries!
Of note for observant Jews on vacation, is that there is a Chabad house one block away.

• Stayed March 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 4, 2012

The tilte of my review is of course courtesy of the Eagles, but it's all true. My husband and I love to stay at B & Bs and little inns when we travel, and after carefully reading all the reviews, we selected Hotel California. And what a great choice it was starting with Lucy meeting us at the gate with an offer of a glass of wine and ending with Larry offering us complimentary bottled water for the trip back to LAX. I really have nothing but positive things to say. Our room (King Romantica) was great -- attaractive ,nice size, and good amentities. The outdoors was lovely -- pool, seating areas, hummingbirds. The owners (Patty, Larry and Jay) couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. Lots of nice little extras -- complimentary fruit, coffee and bottled water, and lots of helpful suggestions. Lucy was great at making restaurant reservations and tee times for us. It was also conveniently located. We recommend it to anyone traveling to Palm Springs.

Room Tip: King Romantica was a great choice and well located
Avon Lake
Reviewed March 4, 2012

We just returned from a weeks stay at the Hotel California. What a truly wonderful unique experience. The moment you arrive you'll feel like you are part of the family. We were picked up in a beautiful limo at the airport and greeted at the hotel with a glass of wine. The bed was the most comfortable mattress we ever slept on. Fresh fruit was available along with fresh coffee every morning. Free bikes were available to explore the Palm Springs neighborhoods. They even helped arrange to have a renta carl dropped off and picked up at the hotel. The fire pit is a great place to meet new friends and to be truly entertained. Lucy, Larry, Patty, and Jay do annthing they can to make your stay a special experience. We hated to leave and can't wait to get back. John and Pat from Ohio

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 2, 2012

My husband and I decided to venture away from our routine of "resort" vacationing and try something new. Well, are we glad we did! First of all, Lucy, thank you so much for meeting us at the gate, after a 5 (!) Yes 5 hour drive from LAX to Palm Springs (who knew traffic was at it's height on Fridays at 2?) with a glass of wine! She assisted us in finding dinner reservations, the best coffee in Palm Springs, helped my husband choose a good golf course and offered us bikes to get around down town. They offer free limo service. Please tip Ray well. He's a treasure. From start to finish, a memorable experience. We chatted with the staff, we met wonderful people that we ended up spending an entire eventing with, we took late night swims, no silly curfews, no rules really, except to be quiet after 10pm. We had a wonderful room. Beautiful views of the mountains. I can't say enough. Except one thing...we'll be back! Thank you Lucy. You made our trip to Palm Springs one that we'll remember for a long time. Mike and Michelle

Room Tip: Next time we'll try to get one of the king suites. However, the room we had was lovely. I can...