New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hotel California

Hotel California
Ranked #2 of 70 Hotels in Palm Springs
Palm Springs, California
“Wonderful Stay at Hotel California”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

We really enjoyed the cozy property, Lucy, our room at the end of 2011! The property location was just perfect for us. Away from downtown with easy access to the entire valley.

Enjoyed the cozy relaxing atmosphere with a tropical setting. The outdoor pool was very enjoyable - 91 degrees. The outdoor hot tub was well appreciated. There were many amenities to use - especially a real limo that took us to and from the Follies.

Lucy is a wonderful and very pleasant hostess. Recommend that you take advantage of this family owned property!!! A very great value!!!

Room Tip: All good rooms that cater to your needs.
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
West Hollywood, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

Just spent a week here with my folks. I am a big fan of supporting family owned and operated businesses. The Hotel California is charming, intimate and relaxing. Lucy, the daughter of the owners runs the day to day on the property and does so unobtrusively and efficiently. They make you feel at home while also feeling like you are on vacation. The best of all worlds in my book. If you are looking for a quiet unassuming yet elegant get away this is the place. It is clean quiet, beautifully maintained and landscaped, the pool is gorgeous and the feeling is relaxed. If I had one criticism it would be that we booked our vacation based on certain policies which they recently changed due to one lousy review they had from a woman vacationing from England. Firstly, whoever this woman was that gave this lovely little spot a bad review: shame on her. Second: Lucy, if you have thirteen people who are enamored of your establishment and plan to return I would weigh their input more heavily than one sour puss who would most likely have something bad to say about any place they stayed regardless of how charming and accommodating the establishment was. Overall, I would love to return and would / have recommended "The Hotel California" to anyone looking for a quiet relaxing getaway that will make you feel like you are in your own private villa.

Room Tip: This is a small quiet boutique Hotel. If you are looking to 'party' go else where. if you ar...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Andrea B
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

For the holidays we wanted to spilt our Palm Springs vacation at the sister property and our first stay at Hotel California. Judy suggested the lovely private Romantica Suite which could easily accommodate my partner (who has mobility issues). We really loved the property and wanted to stay longer. In our opinion, the cozy, exposed-beam Romantica is better suited to a short stay couple who mostly ate out, packed light and were home late (and could quietly slip into the jacuzzi). By great fortune the split level townhouse was open and we asked if we could try it out. Although the townhouse has stairs to the bedroom which my partner had to navigate, we LOVED the upper sun deck, the two bathrooms, two flatscreens and large kitchen. We had a small supper party at the townhouse (without disturbing guests who did not attend) and prepared a chili dinner winter solstice party under the rubber tree by the firepit. Guests from the sister property were invited to attend and we had a ball. We decided to stay longer, which meant less time at the sister property. The request was honored hassle-free. The same limo service is offered at both properties and every time we required the service, it was available on time every time.
On another note, it appeared the bathroom amenties were a tad thin (one bar or soap, no shower/bath gel) unlike the sister property. Lucy explained why and without my request, we were generously supplied with products for the remainder of our stay.
They have done it again! Patty, Larry, Judy and Lucy deliver a fantastic experience! The challenge now is to figure out which of the two properties we will stay at the next time we go to Palm Springs.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

the people running and working at this hotel are the loveliest i've ever come across in my travels--it was a great stay and we felt pampered and well taken care of by everyone!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Ventura, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

Five star treatment with family values. Larry and Lucy treated us like royalty. My wife had booked Hotel California for my birthday on December 10-11 and there was no other place that I'd rather be. First class hospitality, great staff, perfect amenities, heated pool, tranquil ambiance and complimentary limo service. Nice. check out my rendition.
"On a dark palm desert highway, cool wind in my hair
Warm smell of margaritas, rising up through the air
Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light
My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim
We had to stop for the night
There Lucy stood in the doorway;
I heard the mission bell
And I was thinking to myself,
�this could be heaven never be hell�
Then she opened an iced cold beer and she showed us the way
There were voices down the corridor,
I thought I heard them say...

Welcome to the hotel california
Such a lovely place
Such a lovely face
Plenty of room at the hotel california
Any time of year, you can find it here"
Hbomb and Shivs-Ventura CA

Room Tip: A room upstairs adds more privacy
2 Thank WeAreSC55
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

My friend and I stayed at The Hotel California in early December. We went to Palm Springs for a much anticipated ladies' spa retreat. We were met at the airport by the wonderful Jay and whisked off to the the hotel in the limo. The Hotel California is a charming place - Spanish style architecture with a modern twist. The gated walls conceal a lovely garden area, complete with swimming pool, hot tub, fountains, and plenty of seating. We were warmly greeted and shown to our room.

We stayed in Room 11, overlooking the pool area. It was a clean, comfortable environment. Clearly, the owners thought of their guests' needs. We had a nice little snack basket, coffee and beverages. The little kitchen area was perfect for our needs. The beds were fabulous and the linens are superb! Really great sheets! Yum!

Larry, Lucy, and Jay could not have been more warm and inviting. These are ~really~ nice people. Everyone is very down to earth and relaxed. They clearly love what they do. It's very refreshing!

I plan to go back with my husband so he can see what we were raving about! Yes, it's that good!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 11 - great choice - overlooks the pool.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Southern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

I was looking for a nice place to do a weekend retreat and a friend recommended the sister property, the Desert Riveria Hotel. The Desert Riveria had no vacancy and I made a reservation at the Hotel California. What a great decision!

Upon my arrival I was set at ease with the tranquility of the grounds. The ambient night lighting combined with comforting music immediately put me into relaxation mode. As I walked towards the office, I appreciated the cleanliness of the walkways and took note they were free of both landscape debris and clutter.

I was already quite satisfied with my choice based on the hotel’s grounds and the hotel became more inviting upon meeting the hotel’s hostess, Lucy. Upon walking into her office, she offered a warm and kind greeting. Before she requested payment, she offered me a drink which really made me feel that the hotel and their staff were more interested in getting me comfortable and feeling welcome than just taking my money.

Lucy gave me a tour of the grounds and noted the available amenities (too many to list). I was particularly excited about the warm pool, the hot tub and fire circle. Lucy showed me to my room and reminded me to let her know if I needed anything while I was staying (Incidentally I did take her recommendations on dining and local activities. Perfect choices!).

The room was spotless and the temperature inside (preset to warm up by staff) was perfect given the outside temperature. The room’s ambiance made for a relaxing stay. Although I could have been quite content inside of the room during my entire visit, I ventured out to enjoy the hotel’s comforts while meeting some of their friendly “regular” guests and staff. Overall, this proved to be a great choice for a weekend retreat. I would recommend the Hotel California to any of my family or friends and I eagerly await my next visit!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo