“A Perfect Oasis!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Mirasol Villas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
El Mirasol Villas
New York City
“A Perfect Oasis!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2005

El Mirasol is wonderful and seems to improve with every visit. Palm Springs offers a wide variety of choices for the gay traveler. Everything from a steamy sexual atmosphere to total tranquility. When planning a stay in Palm Springs it is important to do your homework. El Mirasol offers a realxing, tranquil experience. The rooms are spotlessly clean with good linens and plush towels. The owners, Paul and Bruce, are extremely friendly and accommodating. The grounds are beautifully kept and the two pools are pristine and inviting. This resort is always in tip-top shape. There is a delightful variety of men to be found at El Mirasol. As with any guest house, this can vary from week to week. I have stayed at numerous gay hotels and guest houses around the world. El Mirasol is absolutely one of the best there is. If you're looking for a peaceful, beautiful, and very relaxing place to stay then you can't do any better than El Mirasol. I am already dreaming about my next trip.

• Stayed September 2005
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
8 Thank BigJoeNYC

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2005

The actual property itself was nice. Beautiful landscaping, motel-like furnishings, two pools, a hot tub and outdoor shower. Forget the steam room if there's more than two people as it is quite small. That's about all it has going for it. Also, I would choose the bungalows (the original part of the property built by Howard Hughes) over the suites with the pseudo wet bar.

The employee on duty was way out of line with his sexual advances and comments and out of 13 guests only 4 of us took advantage of the clothing-optional atmosphere. Honestly, I've seen more action in a funeral home! This hotel should consider either becoming an all woman resort or drop their prices in half.

It's nice to sample other resorts but I'm going back to The Mirage for my next visit.

• Stayed July 2005
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank glb310
Forest Hills, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2004

I have been coming to El Mirasol Villas on and off for about 20 years and have seen it through many changes and owners. The accommodations are spacious, comfortable and clean. I particularly like the grounds, as they are lush with many tropical plants and the layout is not your typical motel-type look.

I travel a good deal and know what good hospitality entails. The current hosts/owners, Paul and Bruce, make you feel truly comfortable and at-home. There was a brief period, several years ago, during which I would not stay at El Mirasol because the place had needed a good deal of sprucing up and the host was particularly unsocial. I am pleased to say that, in addition to having great hosts, they've renovated the rooms and bathrooms and I feel like I am coming home when I stay there.

El Mirasol attracts a classy, social crowd from all over. Now that I am partnered, we travel there annually and often make friends or introduce our friends to the place.

The wireless internet is a plus, if that's your thing. I was able to connect easily from my room.

11 Thank BruceFHNY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2004

I just returned from a short trip at El Mirasol. To be fair, it was very clean and the grounds nicely landscaped. The room was large and furnishings were fine. However, the toilet backed up on the first flush and the owner handed me a plunger and said, what do you expect from an old building". The bedding was poor quality - poly sheets and uncomfortable pillows. No windows opened in the room which made you choose a/c or it was very stuffy.

My main gripe was the service. When I checked in, the owner hung on the phone for 10 minutes, making me wait. Not a big deal but a sign. When I booked, I told him I needed wireless Internet. He assured me the room he was pushing had it. The wireless did not reach the room (I could receive the signal from All Worlds across the street). I had to use it outside to get a weak signal, which died overnight when I needed to work. They were not acocmodating or apologetic at all. I checked out a day early and they said they would only not charge me for that night if they rented the room. Neither owner has any concept of guest service and this really disappointed me. I travel often to Palm Spring and definitely will not waste my money on their over-priced rooms to get their poor attitude. There are much nicer places with much less attitude.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2004

A wonderful, non-cruisy, sofisticated resort for the discerning gay male. Impeccable service and facilities located in an ideal area. Paul and Bruce are fantastic hosts.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2004

My partner Jake and me have stayed at El Mirasol a few times in the last few years..... we've stayed at other resorts, but always return to the comfort, care, and genuine friendship that we've developed with Paul and Bruce. This is little piece on Heaven!!

We don't believe that a more comfortable place exists in Palm Springs!!...;-)

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2003

My partner and I have stayed at El Mirasol the last three times that we've traveled to Palm Springs. This resort is exactly what you think of when you think of Palm Springs. The grounds are beautiful. The compound is made up of bungalows and rooms reminiscent of the old Hollywood celebrity getaways. The hosts, Bruce and Paul, couldn't be nicer, and the guests that we've encountered couldn't have been more friendly. We've made many new/lasting friendships while staying there. If you are looking for a "bath house" kind of place to stay, then this resort is not for you. However, rest assured that activity ranges from mild - wild but in a classy/respectful environment.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member