“Something to be said for tried and true ...”
Review of El Mirasol Villas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
El Mirasol Villas
Vancouver, Canada
“Something to be said for tried and true ...”
Reviewed August 15, 2011

There's a lot to be said for consistency, and these folks have it in spades! I couldn't tell you how many times we've been to PS in the last 15-20 years, but generally once or twice annually. In the beginning, we were loyal to one property for five or six years. When it sold - we checked it out with the new owners, and ... well ... let's not go there :-) In any case - it was a good thing. We were not about to stop visiting PS because of one bad apple, and that visit forced us to look for something new. With so many choices, and equal numbers of good and bad reviews - we tried several. El Mirasol was in that mix and we loved it, but continued to explore options. If you plan to be a return visitor - you should be able to draw some comparisons to know what suits you best. After trying several other inns - we found ourselves saying: "Let's go back to El Mirasol." We've done that several times and just did it again!

In all of our visits to Palm Springs - we've only ended up at one absolute dump, but we were with friends, so it was survivable! (I won't name names as it has been renovated since, and I have no first-hand knowledge of what it's like now) The point is - overall - every place had good and bad points, and in the end; all were enjoyable. The thing with El Mirasol is - it's just, plain comfortable! The same way a cottage is.

Bruce and Paul have stayed true to themselves and to their guests. Their welcome is genuine, and that feeling never leaves. Their staff are equally accommodating, and the relatively new addition of the evening manager (Skip) to their team is definitely a feather in their cap. (Geeez Skip - sit down and put your feet up once in a while!!!) The property continues to look great where the style of garden and landscape is completely informal and stays away from the manicured look. (love that!) The accommodations vary is size and room type, but all are well maintained; as is everything else on this property. The location is excellent and for being so close to Ramon Rd. - shockingly quiet. One of the best things (for us) is that there is no "typical" guest. The men here are every man ... as it should be. Promises can't be made that you'll love it - we're all of different tastes, but one thing I can guarantee is that these guys will do what they can to see that you do!

Room Tip: Just call them ... they'll do what they can.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KennyYVR

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Laguna Hills, California
Reviewed June 6, 2011

Late during a work week, I decided I needed a weekend getaway. Remembering El Mirasol Villas from visit a few years earlier, I decided to go back. I got very quick responses for rates and making a reservation. Even when getting out there late on a Friday, I felt accommodated and looked after. Hosts/ Owners Paul and Bruce (and Skip) are very friendly and helpful and it is clear they really care about the property. It is not super modern with flat screen TVs, super luxurious bathrooms, etc, but the room I stayed in was a nice "bungalow" style and clean and quiet. The pools, grounds and landscaping of this property are beautiful.

Going out by myself, I was planning on just a quiet weekend, reading, etc, but I never felt totally alone. There was a nice crowd of guys from all ages and everyone was friendly. Compared to some of the neighboring properties, there is not a high sexual energy (I was looking for a mellow weekend so I really appreciated not feeling hustled), but there can be a little action and eye candy if you are looking for it. I'm looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed April 25, 2011

I stayed the El Mirasol Villa gay resort in Palm Springs over the weekend of 4/23 and 4/24/11. First, owner/operators are *very* friendly and helpful, the grounds were lush and clean and welcoming, the two pools (one heated, one not) were clean and refreshing, and the jacuzzi was wonderful. My room was just ok. I was at a poolside room near the non-heated pool. The room was a bit outdated, with tube-TV, dollar-store CD player (but it did work), the bed was fairly comfortable, the furniture somewhat mismatched, mixed what seemed to be 70s and 90s. Wifi worked fine. The continental breakfast was ok (coffee, cereal, fruit, etc.). Overall, not as expensive as bigger, suite hotels....but....

My biggest beef was with the shower -- and a good shower can make or break a trip (maybe it's just me). Come on...for $160 a night you'd think you would get a shower head from this century. I want to attach photos here of this shower head and shower stall. It was so painful, especially after being in the sun, and I've been in larger shower stalls on an RV. The last time I saw shower heads like this was in the original Friday the 13th - Camp Crystal Lake (which is what I thought when I saw it). The mildew growing all over the inside of the shower was terrible, and the next morning I had to forego my normal shower routine -- I just couldn't do it. For this fact alone, I could not stay here again, unless they have better rooms? Perhaps. Are they in the process of updating? Perhaps.

They do have parking, but not too many spaces - if you come back from the bars or nightlife late, after 10 or 11, it was difficult to park here - had to park on the street outside and was worried about a ticket. You don't get a reserved spot.

But I must say again, the staff was incredible and the grounds are beautiful.

Room Tip: Ask to see the shower first.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank gydyup
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 21, 2011

This was my first time in Palm Springs. I have to admit, based on what i heard about the city i wasn't so sure I would love it. I was wrong. Paul and Bruce at El Mirasol couldn't have made me feel more at home. I was finished with business a day early and I did not want to stay an extra night in LA so I asked the folks at El Mirasol if I could check in a day early. It was not a problem at all. The Villas have this beautiful, oasis escape feel to them, and yet you are right in the middle of downtown Palm Springs. Everything, restaurants, shopping, gym, bars, are all within walking distance, and no more than a 5 to 10 minute drive away. I was sad to leave after my 8 days. I will certainly be back.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank maximilliandavis
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed March 5, 2011

I've stayed at many of the gay resorts in Palm Springs. El Mirasol is the ONLY resort I've returned to many times in the last several years. It has the most beautiful grounds of any of the Gay Resorts in town. The rooms are impeccably clean. The continental breakfast is great. Hosts Paul & Bruce are kind and caring and make you feel welcome. I won't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank gacollum
Long Beach, California
Reviewed August 7, 2010

I had stayed at this resort several years ago with a partner, but had very little recollection of it so I decided for this trip I would check it out again to refresh my memory.
The room was nice sized with King bed, fridge, good sized TV a few chairs and a small table. A very large closet with ironing gear for those of you that need it. The bathroom was ok. Ample sized, but the shower/tub could have used a make over, but it was doable.
The crowd was small due to off season, but friendly. Summer in Palm Springs can be a bit on the warm side, but the pool makes it all worth while. And speaking of pools.....this place has 2 pools, one at each end of their little compound. Both were very nice and offered plenty of seating. A nice continental breakfast was included which offered, muffins, bagels, coffee, fruits, cold cereals, and hard boiled eggs.
Their Wi-Fi could use some help, or perhaps my room just was out of range. I was never able to connect, but a signal was detected, albeit a weak one.
This resort is in the "Warm Sands" neighborhood, with plenty of "resorts" in the area. I cannot compare this to any of the others only because I have never stayed at any other there, but their reputation is more party oriented. The El Marisol Villas is a very laid back non-pretentious alternative to the party resorts in town.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank QguyLB
San Jose, California
Reviewed July 23, 2010

This was my partners and i first trip together and his first vacation in years . First off we arrived a few hours early and the hotel was generous enough to let us check in early. Our room was just as it looked in the photos but was actually bigger in person. The room was very clean and especially the bed and linens which is very important to us. The free continental was not only convenient but delicious with a large array of food and juices to choose from. The grounds were very well taken care of and the pool was clean and very refreshing. Not only do i strongly recommend El Mirasol Villas to you all, i am planning another trip there for us before the end of summer. Did i mention the friendly and courteous staff.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple