“Something new and fresh in Palm Springs”
Review of Sparrows Lodge

Sparrows Lodge
Ranked #13 of 75 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I just returned from a 3 day escape to the desert to relax and rejuvenate. This place blew my expectations out of the water. It was clean, minimal but very stylish and above all DIFFERENT. Different in a great way, it was like fancy camp. The staff were all very polite and helpful. This not the place for you if you need a big flatscreen, a big closet and people to carry your luggage around. I fear this place will catch on very quickly and be overran, but I'm going to go back asap to soak up the ambiance that it has now. Amazing stay!

Room Tip: Garden rooms will be your quieter options as they are set back away from the pool area.
2  Thank JohnmLarsen

Reviewed May 28, 2014

A friend said - take time and stop at the Sparrows Hotel and check out the little bar and the hotel - and we did and what a pleasant surprise - unique in every way - private - elegant in a funky way - Caesar the bartender and check in guy was delightful - got a tour of the rooms and have to say I wish I could have spent the night - 20 rooms are decorated its in own eclectic way - great showers and the gardens and outside areas perfect for just hanging out - chatted with the guests that were booked in and they loved it. So dont miss out on this fun place - great for a large group or wedding or executive retreat.....its my new go to place -

Room Tip: Each room had its own level of "goodness"
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank mtrimmins
Reviewed May 21, 2014

Sparrows hotel is a unique place, unlike any other hotel I have ever been to. It's the perfect place for a real getaway, when you want to be away from the frenzy of daily life.

There are no signs anywhere to indicate that this place is a hotel, the "road sign" is a silhouette of sparrows on a branch, and that's it. There's also no formal lobby or reception. It almost feels like a private resort and I hope it can remain a well-kept secret in the future - not that I don't hope the owners will make a successful business out of it, but I enjoyed the very cosy, casual and intimate atmosphere.

It's definitely a hipster place with a lot of character, not a mainstream hotel. If you like big chains and expect that kind of service, you probably won't feel at home at Sparrows. If a kid-free but dog-friendly, no TV minimalist place appeals to you, then you'll probably love it.

The grounds and the rooms were built/restored very recently in a rustic-chic style: lots of wood, stone and concrete, large common areas around the pool, hot tub and fire pit, barn, raised beds where herbs and strawberries are grown. We really love the style and feel of the place and will most definitely come back.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 and 2 are on the road side so you can really hear the noise of traffic.
1  Thank Lulle79
Reviewed May 13, 2014

When we recently attended the Arthur Lyons Film Noir Festival at the Camelot Theater, we wanted to stay closer than our friend's condo, which is a good 30-45 minutes away. So, when we saw a short article about the Sparrows in the Southern California Automobile Club's "Westways" magazine, we decided to give it a try. The article noted that the hotel began life as the El Rancho Lodge and was recently remodeled. Everything is brand spanking new, but, be forewarned, it now has a Spartan or minimalist décor, as others have noted. Suffice it to list the following: (1) Bare concrete floors grouted with small river stones; (2) No closets, just several clothes hooks; (3) Internal shutters, rather than drapes or venetian blinds; (4) Open shower "stalls" with an overhead rain style nozzle; (5) No traditional lobby (more on that later); and (6) Bare walls with exposed wood and studs. When we arrived at about 2-2:30 PM, we had MapQuest directions, but couldn't spot the hotel right off. After circling back from the next intersection, we finally realized the hotel's sign consisted of a yellowish sign with the black silhouettes of two sparrows on it; i.e., no writing saying "Sparrows Hotel"! So, we parked in the small front parking lot and went through what I'll call the "gatehouse". No one was around to greet us, so we wandered through what is called the "barn" dividing the two halves of the hotel and went to the back, where we finally found a cleaning lady who indicated by gestures that the lobby was the barn! My wife found the desk clerk "Shelby" and we were shown several rooms from which we could select, including Room 4 near the front, which we were originally assigned. Due to its proximity to the jacuzzi/pool and front parking lot, we opted for Room 4 and moved in our baggage. After an early dinner at the nearby Appetito restaurant (reviewed elsewhere), we sat down on the two chaise lounges in front of our room and read e-mails and communed with nature, as sparrows and hummingbirds flitted about the many bird feeders and flowers in the courtyard surrounding the pool. As other guests arrived that afternoon, we were amused to see them also looking about for the lobby and finally after emerging from the gatehouse, we pointed them toward the barn. So, one suggestion to the hotel would be to add some small signage to guide the guest to the barn to check-in, as well as a traditional road sign with writing on it. At any rate, the outdoor atmosphere is quite nice at the hotel and you can also partake of it on the private patio behind each unit, which has two Adirondack chairs and a couch for additional guests or outdoor naps, surrounded by a bower of bougainvillea hedges which shade the back wall. After attending the first evening showing at the film festival, we returned to the hotel at about 10 PM and found that it was virtually full, with only one parking space remaining. The alternate parking area is way around the corner on the street behind the hotel, so the parking situation is really inadequate, particularly if you arrive late. The following morning, we had breakfast in the "Barn", which was quite good with yogurt and granola and a selection of muffins. However, I wished they had begun serving coffee before 8 AM, since I'm an early riser and my wife and I need coffee to become alert. On the subsequent mornings, I made the short walk across the street to Carrows to get two coffees and OJ (no juice in the Barn) to tide us over until serving began. So, suggestion number 2 would be start coffee service at 7 AM. We met other guests during breakfast, which seemed to break into two demographics: retired Boomers such as ourselves and thirtysomethings of our childrens' ages. The latter were well-behaved and we didn't hear any of the noise that some reviewers complained of coming thru the thin, un-drywalled walls. Although we were gone at the film festival during virtually all waking hours, we enjoyed our stay at the hotel during the short times we were there. BTW, the beds seemed a bit soft and ours had an "egg crate" foam pad beneath the sheets, which might not be to everyone's liking. It was certainly a change of pace from what we're used to!! That said, next year, we will continue to experiment and stay at Casa Cody, an old, traditional hotel even closer to the Camelot Theater, with comparable room rates. We stopped by to visit Casa Cody and inspected one of the empty units, which were large, with kitchens and which even had closets, if you can imagine that! We'll leave the Sparrows Hotel to the thirtysomethings, who travel light in their official uniforms of t-shirts, shorts and flip-flops and instead stay in an adult hotel, such as Casa Cody, which I will review next year.

4  Thank Stan W
Reviewed April 28, 2014

I think I know when I like a place because i DON"T want to review it online- because I want to be able to go back!

Anyway, Sparrows Hotel is a refreshing change from scene-ier type hotels like the Ace and the Parker that exist on the "hip" side of the spectrum. Couple of heads up: It's a MINIMALIST vibe so if you get shaken because you don't have an in room television, phone, closet, etc. you might want to steer clear. Personally, I thought it was a breath of fresh air.

It's a casual vibe, so don't bring a Starwood Luxury Collection attitude to Sparrows, you need to be relaxed and into the vibe. The vibe is: No kids, dogs ok, free "continental" breakfast (bread or yogurt/granola/strawberries.) There are no closets.

The restoration/modification of the pre-existing motor court style Motel that was in this location was expertly done with evident craft and workmanship. Much of the furniture was actually made by the owners. I noticed this in details like a table in the common area that was actually curved/warped in a way that made it clear it had been previously used, perhaps on site.

Anyway, I fully recommend the place unless you are a fussy type who expects Starwood Luxury collection level service- I'm not saying I don't like that, but Sparrows is a different vibe and you ought to embrace it if you stay there. They do have wifi. You can drink by the pool.

Room Tip: Some rooms have "back yards" and lounges in front, and others only have one or the other.
1  Thank tripsnjunk
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Sparrows is such a lovely hotel, the staff are friendly and there is everything you need. The pizza oven was not finished when we were there but you can get breakfast and coffee until 11am. There are endless clean towels for when you are poolside and shade for when the sun is too hot. The fire at night is very peaceful and the hot tub is like stepping into a warm bath.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 13, it was a bungalow on its own - really peaceful and roomy.
2  Thank HollyF1984
Reviewed April 2, 2014

One of the most unique places I've ever stayed and we travel a lot! It really is a special place with great character - fantastic decor, excellent pool and grounds, great staff. My girlfriend and I had a great time and the rates were incredibly reasonable. Also the owners were incredibly friendly and made sure we had an incredible stay. We can't say enough good things about our experience. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are great, some are bigger than others, but even the smallest was very comfortable.
1  Thank AJude10