“What a wonderful staff”

Desert Paradise Gay Men's Resort
White Salmon, Washington
“What a wonderful staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

This is a small gay guys clothing optional resort....very low key and casual...the sauna and steam room need some upgrading...but grounds and rooms very well done...even the outdoor chandelier ...on a cool night is refreshing .Resort is convient to downtown and walking distance to the Tool Shed bar and Pete's Hideway restaurant..

Room Tip: In room safes are not very "safe but Ron always tries to get me my favorite room..close to the...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank georgewilliam1

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

My partner and I visit Palm Springs twice a year and like to stay at different resort hotels. This time we decided to patronize the Desert Paradise Gay Men's Resort and are very happy we did. From the time we checked in to the time we checked out, we were treated royally by the staff and felt very welcomed. The grounds of the resort were impeccable...the swimming pool was surrounded by beautiful lush plants, flowers and palm trees! We appreciated the nice continental breakfast every morning sitting outside the Paradise Café chatting with guests and making new friends. Also, the rooms were extremely clean and the beds were very comfortable. All in all, we had a nice, relaxing stay at the Desert Paradise Resort and I would highly recommend staying here...It truly was a great experience!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Earl C
Lorca, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

This was our first stay and Ron and Jeff really looked after us and made us feel very welcome. The pool was lovely and warm for the time of year (December), the gardens were a delight and the room was comfortable. It was nice to have facilities in the room to prepare simple snacks.We used a car to get about town and visit the Joshua Tree National Park but transport is not really necessary to visit the remarkable number and variety of gay bars and shops. Breakfast was ample and the variety of food would suit most tastes. I think some fruit wouldn't go amiss.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank alastairsmith
Inverness, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

I was recommended to this hotel by a local resident friend on Facebook. Having stayed at other resorts in Palm Springs I was delighted with this choice. Good rates, excellent rooms, superb staff, wonderful location, free breakfast and all the important amenities that make a Palm Springs stay enjoyable. Nice pool, Jacuzzi, Steam Room, Sauna, Cable TV. Unlike a lot of the other resorts they do not market day passes, so you don't feel like you are living in a bath house with all the associated noise and drama. The guests are widely varied and at least during my stay friendly with a touch of class. You don't feel like your at Jurassic Park nor do you feel like you walked into a Jr. College. The grounds are kept very well, and I would absolutely return to this property again.

Room Tip: This is a small property with themed rooms that is basically shaped like a staple. It is a single fl...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Michael T
Asbury, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed here a few times so that should count for something. I won't spend time on the negatives because I think we got our monies worth. I like the lush grounds and the small steam room. The wall safe is not a secure (real safe) so don't count on putting anything of great value in it. The manager (Dale) works hard at making you feel welcome. Rooms are clean but just a little dated, but still enjoyable surroundings. The owner must of been having a bad day on check out. He mad us feel a bit unwelcome. We checked out some other resorts near by and will most likely opt for one of them on our next visit. I would recommend Desert Paradise if you're on a budget, and would enjoy a peaceful, but fun relaxing vacation. You won't go wrong.

Room Tip: Most resorts in this location are nice. It's a question of how much you wish to spend. There is...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RuAnonymous
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Desert Paradise with a friend of mine.

The gardens and pool area were fantastic, and the people who stayed there were really nice. Ive kept in touch with a couple of the other guests after leaving the resort.

We stayed in the Marilyn Monroe Presidential suite, which was described on their website as "so nice Dale will be in it if its not taken by you". The room was really poor. I was so shocked at the state of the room, that I we had a long conversation whether we would live with the room or whether we should check out. The kitchen and bathrooms are extremely old and are in desperate need of updating. There are very few images of the rooms on their website for a reason.... So I h ave taken some images of our room for you so you can see the level of accommodation.

At $200 per night in late June (which is the quiet season) this was not good value for money in my humble opinion.

The room was dark and old. And on the second bed I had pink pillow cases, a blue bottom sheet and a green sheet. It was daggy in the extreme.

The included breakfast was very very basic but it was ok.

They have a great ice machine available to all, and the pool and gardens were really great. The resort is based in a great location too just a very short drive to the town centre and in the middle of all the gay resorts.

Management really need to update the rooms and they also need to provide more shade around the pool. The staff were really sweet and the rooms were very clean as was the resort in general.

Im not sure I would return to this resort. I would certainly look around and try and find one with a higher standard of accommodation.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
10 Thank NorthShoreGuy9
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

I seem to have rediscovered Palm Spring. When I was younger I used to visit the desert often for dancing and partying. Now I find myself visiting for a relaxing getaway. My normal hotel choice was booked so I thought I'd give Desert Paradise a try. I'm glad I did.

The rate ended up being less than my usual property and yet the place is just as nice if not nicer. I made my reservation by phone with Ron and told him I would be arriving later that evening. He was very nice and even called me on my cell to let me know that a portion of the road to Palm Spring would be closed and gave me simple directions to avoid the potential mess.

I arrived, buzzed the front door and was met by Ron who was friendly and charming and just as welcoming as could be. He brought me in and took care of the paperwork quickly and then gave a quick tour of the facility. He finished with a hug that was very friendly and welcoming. The property is truly beautiful. There's an area for sitting by a fireplace (too warm now for that but a nice touch) a great wet sauna, jacuzzi, pool (that changes colors) and fountains that just make this probably one of the most relaxing places I have ever visited. And so many different plants and trees and ponds....well just paradise.

I am a bigger guy so was concerned about what 'type' of customers the property catered to and was assured guests of every age and size frequent and I found this to be true.

My room was the Joan Crawford room (complete with a tongue in cheek plaque reminding guests and staff 'no wire coat hangers') which was nicely appointed. Huge bed, flat screen TV lots of channels and very comfortable. A nice wet bar area with micro, silverware including bottle opener which was useful. A micro and a small fridge. I will say that the fridge didn't work, it may simply have been unplugged, but my stay was so great that I never remembered to tell Ron about it. So hopefully they'll read this and attend to it.

If there was any drawback to this room it would be that it is next to the Breakfast Room. It isn't as loud as I would have expected, but you can hear people congregate outside at about 8:00am. Also, the bed faces east so even though they have amazing plantation shutters, the sun does creep in through a couple of the tiny slits for about 10 minutes in the morning. Of course it's easy to just move a bit on the bed to avoid this, but I experienced this on the first morning of my stay and my partner experienced this on the second. Again, not really a big issue.

The continental breakfast was pretty terrific with a nice selection of fruit juices; Orange, Cranberry and Grapefruit. Different cereals, muffins, danishes, English muffins and Bagles. Also oranges and apples. But for me, one of the most amazing things is they have non dairy creamer. i know this seems like a small thing but for those of us who can't drink milk, this is a HUGE thing. I always have to carry my own non dairy creamer when I travel and usually end up forgetting so forgo my morning coffee or have to drink it black...not here. They had Coffee Mate liquid in a couple of flavors AND Silk Soy Milk. Now if they had Rice Dream I'd truly be in heaven :) But seriously, I truly appreciated being on my little holiday and for a small property to treat its guests as if they are the most important in the world. I actually had cereal and coffee, just the way I like it without having to bring my own groceries.

The property at night is amazing, There is a chandelier that hangs high atop two palm trees and the lighting and water fall sounds throughout make you feel as if you're in some exotic getaway...and in a way I guess you are. The pool and jacuzzi are open 24 hours which is perfect. I truly can't say enough great things about the property and Ron who made the stay fantastic.

Oh and there is ample parking and the lots are looked over by a closed circuit TV system. I will make sure to return and hopefully try one of the other rooms...maybe I'll work my through them all :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple