“The Perfect Atmosphere”

Reviewed January 9, 2008

Stayed: November 2007
There are newer reviews for La Dolce Vita Resort & Spa

Reviewed January 7, 2008

Our stay was disappointing from the start. We arrive at La Dolce Vita, picked up the phone at the front door and dialed the desk, we got a busy signal. We tried over and over for 10 min or so and still got a busy signal. I called then called their phone number from my cell phone, I got a phone tree, I selected the option for the desk, I heard several commercials while on hold and then it said no one was available to take my call and forwarded me to voicemail. I left a message that we were there to check-in and were getting a busy signal at the gate. I asked them to call me on my cell phone when someone was available to check us in. We left the resort and did some shopping. After an hour, no one had called but we went back to the resort and still got the busy signal on the gate phone. We began the pound on the door and another guest let us in.

We found the grounds a bit maze-like with what was once two different properties combined into one.

Our room had a living area, bedroom, bath and kitchette. The living area was nice although the one light in the room was not very bright, not enough light to read.

The bedroom was a bit too small for the king size bed and dresser and was difficult to move around. The TV in the bedroom was very snowy. The light on the right bedside table did not work, the switch was apparently broken.

The bathroom was a typical corner tiled shower, which was nice. The sink drained very slowly. Aveda bath products were provided, but were never replentished during our 4 night stay. On the last day we had no shampoo left from the one ounce bottle initially provided. Towels were exchanged daily but one day I opened up a bath towel after a shower and found it was full of holes. The bathroom floor and floorboards needed a good scrubbing.

The kitchen. The floor was filthy, it needed swept and scrubbed. Disposable plastic cups were provided, but don't throw them away! They will not be replaced by housekeeping.

Housekeeping seemed to consist of making the bed and exchanging towels only.

All-in-all, I don't feel this resort is worthy of the 4 palm award by Out and About. There are plenty of other resorts in Palm Springs that actually are nice and well taken care of. At $169 a night I expect that place to at least be clean and items used should be replentished.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KC8WTW
Reviewed January 5, 2008

I stayed at La Dolce Vita Resort during Christmas weekend with my boyfriend. We enjoyed our experience very much. The staff headed by Tim and Kenny were terrific. The grounds were beautiful and our room was large and nicely decorated. We found the crowd fun and inviting. We can't wait to return and encourage others to check out the place.

Stayed: December 2007
Reviewed January 5, 2008

This is my favorite gay resort in Palm Springs, and I’ve stayed there several times each year since Ken and Tim opened it a couple years ago. The rooms are bright, clean and well-furnished, the staff polite and helpful. The resort is well-appointed and clean, the staff friendly and helpful, whether it’s getting a massage, making restaurant recommendations and reservations, or introductions to the other guests. I’ve actually met several guys there who’ve become friends … some local, and even a few international!

Their poolside continental breakfast every morning is much more than you would expect … whether you want to be “healthy” with fresh fruit and juice … or indulge your sweet tooth with mouth-watering Belgian waffles and strawberries. And the coffee is always on … that’s really important to THIS traveler. The on-site gym equipment and pools let you work off some of those extra calories. The evening "happy hour" gives everyone a great chance to meet and mingle with other guests, the owners and staff. It's always a great way to start the evening.

Ken and Tim have done a great job of letting their guests experience “La Dolce Vita” … the sweet life. It’s a great place to relax with old friends and make new ones … I’ll be going back soon.

Reviewed January 2, 2008

La Dolce Vita is a gay men's resort located in a very beautiful and quiet neighborhood in the Deep Well section of south Palm Springs. It is located just a block off of Palm Canyon Drive--the main strip in town.

My four night stay over the New Year's holiday was a mixed bag with a few surprising highlights but also some real dissapointments.

The sprawling complex contains two pools and jacuzzis and a steam room. Each pool area has a breathtaking view of the San Jacinto mountains. The 20 rooms of the resort are spread out in a sort of confusing maze. To get from one point of the grounds to the other, make sure to take your GPS.

My room was small and dark with a queen bed. There was a 19-inch TV set with a VCR machine, a small refrigerator, microwave and a radio/cd player.

The furnishings looked to be much older than the three years La Dolve Vita has been open. The style of the decor appeared to be Italian themed but seemed to be more like K-Mart mid-western.

The bedding and towels were not the highest quality--don't look for a high thread count here! The personal amenities were from Aveda. However, during my four night stay the small bottles of shampoo and hand cream were never replenished.

One of the most important tenets of a well-run hotel is housekeeping. In this department La Dolce Vita has some serious problems. There was a used bar of soap and an empty shampoo bottle left in the shower. Most surprising was the pair of dirty boxers I found in the night stand. I have stayed in many, many hotels during my life, and the dirty underwear was a first (and hopefully a last.)

One of the highlights was the ample nightly social hour in the clubhouse. There was a full bar and plenty of appetizers. The specialty drink of the house was a greyhound made with freshly squeezed grapefruit juice.

In the morning an adequete continental breakfast is served from 8:00-10:00 a.m. However, don't expect to read the morning paper with your coffee. There is only one copy of the local newspaper, the Desert Sun, offered each morning. One copy of the newspaper among a couple dozen guests doesn't really cut it. They could easily offer the LA Times, NY Times, and the WSJ as a nice touch.

Though the owners, Tim and Ken, are warm and accomodating, overall, La Dolce Vita just doesn't measure up. There are too many gay hotels in Palm Springs to have to settle for less.

3  Thank RGW1965
Reviewed December 11, 2007

I've stayed at the resort three times and have nothing but praise for the location, staff, rooms, etc. Very relaxing and quiet, perfect for a getaway. I highly recommend La Dolce Vita and hope to visit again soon! Thanks guys!

Stayed: November 2007