“Refreshing Optimism in Decor and Attitude/Great Guest Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Saguaro Palm Springs

The Saguaro Palm Springs
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1800 East Palm Canyon Drive, Palm Springs, CA 92264 (Formerly The Saguaro Palm Springs, a Joie de Vivre Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Stay & Save
Ranked #29 of 70 Hotels in Palm Springs
Phoenix, Arizona
“Refreshing Optimism in Decor and Attitude/Great Guest Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Thank You, Seguaro, for a lovely visit and three good nights of sleep. Palm Springs is a spectacular place and the mountains and the past dominate all things Palm Springs. With names like Gene Autry and Bob Hope and Frank Sinatra and Sonny Bono always in your vision, you start to expect a four star show all day everyday. In a town laden with this much past, it is hard to stand out ! Saguaro manages to lead the landscape with pure enthusiasm. I just spent three nites there and would go back tomorrow.
In its price range, this hotel stands up to the test. Everything I wanted was there, including a King size bed, a fridge, a safe, Mountain View with balcony, books on local architecture, a good desk chair, adequate lighting, a handicapped shower. The room was spacious, and all requests for help were met. The staff were above helpful and always calm under pressure. I found the service to be excellent .The bedding was very nice, simple white cotton duvet, mattress firm. No full closet space, but hooks on the wall for your garment bag or dry cleaning. I declined linen service for the three nites, as per their Green Option, and there was a recycling bucket in the room, which I appreciated. I visited the gym and it was good. The lobby has nice places to wait or people watch.

The guests were a really mixed bag, international, inter-generational. The lobby is kid-friendly, with Barbie corner and ping pong table. There were lots of attractive people with beautiful cars and clothing. The arriving guests looked very Los Angeles. Imagine that: some of us escape TO the desert, even when it's 120 degrees...I live in Phoenix, so I know what this weather is like. Still nice to have a change of scenery and to stay in a friendly, upbeat hotel. I was visiting old friends who live in Desert Hot Springs, the outer banks of Palm Springs.

I stayed from Wed thru Saturday. The hotel was quiet on the weekdays. On Sat am, when I was checking out, the lobby was crazy packed and a gift shop appeared from behind a hip partition.decor. The architecture is modern, inspired by mid-century minimalism. I like the use of industrial materials and the offbeat art work. The shocking color palatte kept me amused throughout the hotel and outside. Purple carpets with lime green, shocking pink, Cadmium yellow, bright orange accents. There is a bar and restaurant, El Jefe, but Tinto, their premier restaurant, is unfortunately closed for renovations this summer. Try the mole tamales from the take - out menu. There is an excellent market, Randy's across the street. I made it to Sherman's on El Segundo for breakfast, not to be missed. Plan to visit Palm Springs Art Museum, which is open free from 4-8 PM on Thursday (see website for hours and seasonal closings) . Plenty to do in Palm Springs. Great antique shops and museums and restaurants. Try the local Mexican places. Ride the tram. Go to the Air Museum near the airport Check out the hotel bikes for a leisurely pace.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask to be facing the mountains.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Savvygal23
SaguaroPalmSprings, Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear Sawygal;

Thank you for the thorough review of the Saguaro-Palm Springs. We are so happy you enjoyed your experience.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future to our vibrant and colorful desert oasis.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

We just finished a three-night stay and it was better than we expected. Like many visitors, we were picking between the Ace and a few others. We wanted something fun, but not such a strong party vibe as the Ace…space to enjoy the pool without getting a bikini top thrown in our drinks. Yes, there is a resort fee, but ours was waved, perhaps an off-season perk? Free wifi, ping pong in the lobby, taco bar with tequila tasting on the menu. The pool was large, and with the exception of the weekend, it was spacious and mostly empty. Friday we checked out, a DJ was setting up and the place was packed. I have to say, the music was actually pretty good and it could have been a good time. Poolside bar, cocktails run from $10 and up. The staff were absolutely lovely, from the moment we checked in, each morning and throughout. We even got a bottle of wine from the hotel as an anniversary gift! The room was big, I love the bold colors, and the mini fridge made the weekend more of a bargain as well. We had breakfast in our room each morning and kept snacks for the evening. The shuttle goes every hour to the main street of Palm Springs, although we used Uber. I really can't say enough. Stay on the bottom floor to have more privacy and enjoy a short walk for ice and to the pool. I would really recommend this place and we will be back!

Room Tip: Stay on the first floor, next to an entrance to the pool. Privacy from the bushes, a little patio a...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank christinesusanna
SaguaroPalmSprings, Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear cristinesusanna;

I think we are going to have to steal your tag line-"100% Fabulous"; love it! Thank you so much for the kind and thoughtful review. We are so happy to hear that you had such a fantastic three day get-away at the Saguaro Palm Springs. Our pool is the largest pool in Palm Springs, allowing lots of room to relax and swim mid-week.

Glad to hear our team took care good care of you. We are very proud of them and the warm service they provide for our guest. Thank you for mentioning them!

Happy Anniversary!

Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Rooms: The rooms are very spacious. Our room came with a balcony (I’m pretty sure all do) with a view facing both the pool and the mountains clearly in the background. We had a mini fridge as well. If you forget anything at home or you want to purchase beverages to keep stocked in your mini fridge, there’s a Ralph’s across the street that we utilized to get things for the weekend. The shower gels and soaps smelled amazing and the bathroom looks very modern. My only complaint would be the TV’s connection, which wasn't clear all the time.

Pool: Honestly, the pool was too deep for the audience the resort was catering too. When we went to the pool, everyone had a drink they were trying to enjoy while cooling off in the pool. But the center of the pool is 9 ft deep, therefore 99% of the people in the pool, myself included, were trying to squeeze into any space they could on the edges so they can enjoy their drinks.
There was a DJ playing music in the afternoon and the bar had great drinks!

There were not enough lounge seats for us in the afternoon so we laid our blankets on the small “grassy” area. The “grass” was plastic and when we tried to walk on the “grass” barefoot to get to the pool, the plastic fake “grass” burned the bottom on my feet and I had to run and grab my flip flops. Just the 5-10 secs my feet was on the “grass” left blisters.

The pool in the evening however is much better, there’s chairs available and you can watch the sunset. The bar’s closed but you bring your own drinks and enjoy just the same.

The hotel also has a boche ball area for those inclined to play.

Restaurants: The hotel has two great restaurants, El Jefe and Tinto. Tinto has a better ambiance and class while El Jefe is more exciting and fun. I liked that they had two restaurants with completely different feels.

Shuttle: The resort provides a free shuttle service hourly to Downtown Palm Springs. I really enjoyed the convenience of not having to worry so much about transportation BUT, in 110 degree weather, the driver doesn't turn the car on until you board. When you get in, it’s HOT and there's no air ventilation. The driver puts on the AC but you can’t feel it where you are sitting and the windows don’t open, so both the drive there and back was difficult to breathe. I suggest just paying for an Uber car.

All in all, I really had a great time. I know it sounds like I had “a lot” to complain about but the resort was just what I was looking for. Time away from the big city, great food, amazing views of the mountains and stars, and quiet time to do not much of anything.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Lolaisabruin
Dear Lolaisabruin;

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. We really appreciate it! We are so thrilled you enjoyed your time away from the "big city". Next time you stay with us I will have to challenge you to a game of Bocce Ball! We look forward to welcoming you back.

Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

We had the pleasure of staying at the sahuaro for a night on our way to LA. The rooms are great and the beds are comfortable but it's the staff that makes this place!!! Tyler was so helpful with everything we needed! Will definitely be back for a longer stay next time!!!

Stayed July 2014
SaguaroPalmSprings, Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Cheryl R.

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback. We really appreciate it! You have discovered, like so many of our guest from Arizona, that The Saguaro Palm Springs is the perfect resting stop on the way to California's coastal communities.
Thank you also for acknowledging the friendliness of the Saguaro Team Members. We are so pleased that you gave a special shout-out to our Front Office Team Member, Tyler. He will be so thrilled and we could not agree more!
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Sincerely yours,
Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

The colors in the room were a little too striking in general the hotel was fine. Free wifi is always good.
The only problems were all the hidden charnges; you never end up paying what you thought you were going to pay. Resort Fee, late check out be careful its $35 dollars but they charge you for another day worth of Resort Fee full charge. Which ends up costing more than $100 for a 3 hour extended check out.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank AgustinaB
Dear AgustinaB,

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay at The Saguaro Palm Springs. As noted in your review, The Saguaro is a colorful oasis in the middle of the desert. Our rooms are painted in a array of striking colors; colors that reflect the beautiful colors found naturally in the wild flowers of the Coachella Valley. Many of our returning guest request their room preference by color!

Our policy is not to charge an additional day's resort fee for late check out. It seems this fee was posted in error. Please feel free to contact the Hotel directly and we will be sure to correct this error and to refund the fee.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I spend a lot of time in Palm Springs and had visited this hotel many times for lunch, although not stayed there until now.

Spotted a ridiculous cheap deal online so took the plunge.

The hotel is on the South side of the city, a short drive or bus ride from the downtown area. There are restaurants and a grocery store close by.

I had a king room with pool view on the top floor. The hotel is a converted Holiday Inn/Ramada so does have outside corridors. This arrangement does make getting from your car much easier as there are elevators at each corner. The rooms are painted in various rainbow shades and are comfortable furnished.

There is a resort fee (which I hate) of $25 per day covering wifi, airport shuttle, yoga etc. Somehow, my rate included the resort fee, or my Joy of Life membership meant it was free - not certain which. So I was happy this time!

I had been warned that at weekends the hotel becomes a mecca for a younger crowd from LA. The warnings were not wrong! I was out for most of the Saturday but returned to find my patio doors vibrating with the noise from the DJ by the pool! It was the same on Sunday. If this is not your scene, ask for a room facing away from the pool or don't go at weekends!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Leesw8
Dear Leesw8;

Thank you for your thoughtful review of The Saguaro-Palm Springs. We are pleased that you found The Saguaro to be a great value and that you appreciate its convenient South Palm Springs location.
As you noted, we do host pool parties on Saturdays and Sundays for our guest. Creating a fun and lively atmosphere in celebration of the weekend.
Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights in October for a friends birthday party. The hotel is fun and very colorful and has a clientele that is quite young. The hotels bright colors are also present throughout all the rooms which are clean, very functional, nice big bathrooms, and a mid century modern style decor that is ever so present in Palm Springs.

Our rooms were suites (very big) on the 2nd or 3rd floor (can't remember exactly) and had balconies that faced the pool and the mountains...the best option for the best views. The pool is really big, clean, and nice and has a huge swan float that swimmers can ride a top. There is also a large hot tub. The grounds are gorgeous..very verdant and green with desert plants and the very tall, skinny palm trees that are so common in Palm Springs that scrape and frame the desert sky.

Saturday poolside is busy with a DJ continualy pumping out dance music until 8 pm or so. There is a poolside bar with waitors and waitresses rushing out drinks to people, food can also be ordered.
Sunday poolside is "desert chill" less busy, fewer swimmers, and the DJ plays chill out ambient music.

The hotel has to restaurants: El Jefe which is the "cuisine of Mexico City" serving small plates. and the other is the celebrated Tinto: restaurant of Chef Jose Garces serving foor of the Basque region of Spain. This is a beautiful restaurant inside and out. The outside patio with it's torche lamps and flickering candles looks like a great place to dine in good weather. Regretably I did not get to dine at either restaurant since we were a large group and had so many different opinions.

I look forward to staying at this hotel once again as it was an exciting, vibrant atmosphere with good service, good restaurants , and a nice pool scene. A great ambient desert getaway!

Room Tip: Rooms that face the pool (in the interior) have the best views of the pool and desert mountians. Be...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Atlas1175
Dear Atlas1175;

We are so pleased that you enjoyed everything the Saguaro Palm Springs has to offer. Next time you visit, your "ambient desert getaway", you will have to be sure to visit our Jose Garces' restaurants: Tinto and El Jeffe. They are terrific!
Thank you for taking the time to provide TripAdvisor with your feedback. We really appreciate it.

Sincerely yours,