“Not bad of a Hotel”

The Saguaro Palm Springs
Ranked #36 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed April 7, 2014

The saguaro was the first hotel my wife and I stayed at for our first time taking vacation in the Palm Springs. The night we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted by friendly staffs who checked us in, directed us to our hotel and advised us where to park our car for easier access. We didn't like the street-facing room, which we were assigned to, so we asked for a room that faced the pool. The staffs were able to accommodate our request. We were very thankful for that. The room was painted in colorful themes that was coherent throughout different parts of the hotel in all possible ways, which we thought it was quite pleasant and successfully filled the hotel with vacation atmosphere. The room size is adequate and very clean. The balcony is my favorite spot because it gives a nice sight to the center of the hotel, where the pool and other amenities are located. One down side was the TV reception wasn't as strong, so the picture went on and off periodically. Wifi, refrigerator, coffee maker, and hair dryer were available. One thing worth mentioning were the shampoo, soup, etc have nice minty aroma that helps to relieve tiredness. The pool in the center part of the hotel began to have people at around 10 am, so the noises start to build up. However, the noises didn't bother us. The hotel is located 8 mins away by driving and about 15 mins to the aerial tram. Too bad, we didn't not have a chance to dine at the restaurant in the hotel. I wouldn't say it's a nice resort, but I would say the overall experience for our stay at the saguaro hotel was decent.

Note: There is a $25 per day resort fee which were charged after we check out because of the amenities provided including yoga classes.

Room Tip: Rooms at higher floors looking into the pool is better than rooms looking at the streets.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CKC206
SaguaroPS, Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2014

I'm happy to hear you and your wife enjoyed staying at our hotel! My sincerest thank you for taking the time to recommend us here on TripAdvisor. I will be sure to pass your many compliments about our friendly staff along to the team and truly appreciate your detailed, heartfelt feedback. Next time you're in need of a Palm Springs getaway -- I hope you'll keep us in mind! We'll have a pool chair ready and waiting. Plus I'd love to get your thoughts on our restaurants.

There are newer reviews for The Saguaro Palm Springs

Reviewed April 4, 2014

The Saguaro was formerly the Holiday Inn, which was purchased and refurbished about two years ago.

Whilst the colour scheme looks good on the outside, the lurid orange of my room – orange curtains, orange bedcovers, orange chest of drawers, orange vanity unit in the bathroom, orange walls (well, you get the picture) – slightly got to me. The orange was tempered only by the purple carpet. It felt unnecessary, particularly when combined with the fairly harsh energy efficient light bulbs.

However, the room itself was really big, with a delightful view of the mountains and I couldn’t hear traffic on the road outside. The functionality in the room was also good – safe, fridge, desk, balcony with views, tea/coffee (although the coffee itself tasted very weak). Wifi was excellent, even though it was irritating having to pay a mandatory $25 resort charge to cover wifi, use of pool and self-parking. A microwave in the room would have been a nice touch.

The fitness room is spacious, albeit with just one treadmill machine, but affords a good view through the window to the mountains. The pool is at the centre of the hotel (surrounded by rooms on all sides). It seems to open earlier than the advertised 8 am; many of the seats get reserved early on with guests spreading their towels on the chairs to reserve them. The pool itself could do with being re-lined, more thoroughly cleaned of floating leaves and is on the cool side in the morning.

The entry foyer also reflects the modernist/almost brutalist image, with stripped back concrete floors presenting an austere image. However, the front desk staff were delightful.

Over the main road is a Ralph’s supermarket, together with a selection of places to eat.

I would definitely stay here again; if the hotel had accentuated more a sense of luxury, rather than orange/lemon/green/shocking blue functionality, plus not levied the extra $25 resort fee (“money for old rope”) I would have given the hotel five stars.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Airlineconsultant
SaguaroPS, Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed account of your visit. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your big, delightful room and that you were able to enjoy our fitness center. When it comes to our team, I cannot wait to pass your kind words about the service along to them. Overall, it's simply fantastic that you had a great stay and hopefully you'll keep us in mind next time you're in Palm Springs. You're always welcome!

Take care

Reviewed April 3, 2014

Went here for a little girl's getaway. This hotel is spotless, and so fun. You will forget it was once probably a junky motel. I loved the music at the pool, as well as the free yoga. The food was great at the restaurant as well. The pop up shop, was fun inside the lobby. I also liked the orange water provided in the lobby. We took advantage of the free shuttle as well. Everything was perfect!

Room Tip: We got upgraded to a pool view, but I would have rather kept the mountain view. I couldn't see t...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Stefaniefarrah

I'm happy you chose our place for your girl's getaway. Even happier to hear it was a fun weekend! Thank you, Stefanie, for taking the time to spread the good word about us here on TripAdvisor. Your support means a lot to us and hopefully we'll be able to welcome you back soon! Don't be a stranger.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

We are newbies to the Saguaro hotel experience and boy did we like it! this is a great hotel in Palm Springs, the decor both inside and out is so colourful, it really has a fun vibe to it. If you want a quite room , go for block 1, our room was 130 and it was quite, the other block may be more noisy for rooms facing the pool as it also has a pool bar and loud music, but it is so cool. can't fault the room, fridge in the room with all the usual stuff. If you want grocerys , A grocery store is just across to the street as is a nice breakfast restaurant where you can a great breakfast with coffee and tip for $10.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Mazzer72
SaguaroPS, Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Your opening line says it all! I appreciate you taking the time to spread the good word about us here on TripAdvisor. From our colorful rooms to our fun vibe, I'm happy to hear you had a great stay with us. Next time you're in need of a Palm Springs getaway -- I hope you'll keep our place in mind! You're always welcome.

Cheers,

Reviewed March 30, 2014

I stayed here with three friends for a "girls" get-away, and the Saguaro worked well for what we needed. We were able to get two rooms with queen beds at a good price. The decor and furniture were fine, as was the cleanliness of the hotel.

The first afternoon (Friday) we relaxed by the pool, enjoyed the poolside bar service, and the soft music. Other guests were friendly. The pool was being used, but wasn't crowded, and we were able to get four chaise lounges in the early afternoon. Unfortunately, the hotel hires a DJ on the weekends. This means the pool is packed and you have to get there early in the day to reserve a chair. It also means that you hear the blaring techno-pop even in your room with the window closed. This is when we began to feel that we might be too old for this hotel (we're all in our 40s). I would have ranked this hotel 4 or 5 without the DJ.

We had appetizers and drinks at both the restaurant and the bar onsite, and were happy with food, drinks, and service at both.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sandi P

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us here on TripAdvisor, Sandi. I'm happy you chose us for a girls get-away and even happier that you enjoyed your clean, colorful room. When it comes to our pool -- you're right! We are known for our pool parties and always have a DJ on the weekends. I do apologize if this was not clearly communicated and will be sure that moving forward, our guests understand our weekend scene. Overall, it's fantastic to hear you had a good getaway and I'll be sure to pass your kind words along to the team. Don't be a stranger!

Cheers,

Reviewed March 27, 2014

I came for a few days just to kick back and relax and was expecting your standard 3 star renovated hotel experience. I was ever so wrong! From the moment I arrived to the moment I departed they catered to my every whim with enthusiasm. The staff ROCKS! Super friendly and great accommodations. My new go-to spot in PS with shuttle service by Driver Dave making it easy to get around. They also get extra credit points for cutting the limes just the right way so they fit in the beer can when you're at the pool. What a great week!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Claire R
SaguaroPS, Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Glad to hear your stay was a home run, Claire! My sincerest thank you for taking the time to share your support here on TripAdvisor. It's our honor to be your new go-to in Palm Springs and I'll be sure to pass your kind words along to Driver Dave. Don't be a stranger!

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Stayed here in March 2014 just in time for the cocktails in the lawn, a cooking demo and book signing by Iron Chef Jose Garces, whose menu is featured at the El Jefe and Tinto restaurants of the hotel-which have both received rave reviews from locals and visitors alike. The hotel is on Palm Canyon Drive, not far from Downtown where it joins with Indian Canyon. The hotel is very distinctive because the Saguaro sign is huge, and the sculptural white sails remind you of the Denver Airport or Canada Place. The hotel lobby is a very happy place, with lots of people in the adjoining restaurant, and the 2nd floor meeting and party space is perfect for big parties or meetings. The check in was fast and easy, front desk staff Albert and Cody are young and great-looking and very nice. Finding your room is kinda tricky, some have outdoor entrances like a motel, but actually gives you a double view into either the parking lot (and easy access to it), or you can have the pool view if you're on your room's balcony. The room is big with lots of wild bright colors: orange, peach, canary yellow, lime green with a Southwest touch. The beds are very comfortable, the bathroom stocked with Lather toiletries and a rainforest showerhead and there is big closet with iron/hair dryer, lots of drawers, a nice work/dining table, big mini fridge, coffeemaker, safe and the lovely balcony which allows you to see the pool action without being totally immersed in it if you need privacy. All the balconies look into the hotel's huge lawn (for yoga or outdoor events) and the big pool which is the centerpiece of the hotel. There is a hot tub, cabanas, fire pit and large colorful umbrellas. It's a great fun area where young and old, gay and straight, couples or families mix together. If you are inclined, the hotel has a spa too, and there is a shuttle to downtown which you can take for shopping or taking pics with the giant Marilyn Monroe sculpture (hurry before she moves!). The hotel has free parking and Wi-Fi as well. Great value for your money. This is a Joie de Vivre proprty, a collection of hotels that are all hip and unique. Would love to stay here again the next time I am in Pam Springs!

Room Tip: Get a balcony with a pool view!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
SaguaroPS, Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

I truly appreciate you taking the time to share such a heartfelt, detailed review of our colorful oasis here on TripAdvisor, Richie. I'm happy to hear you were able to catch cocktails in the lawn and you enjoyed our bright, colorful grounds. Next time you're in need of a Palm Springs getaway, I hope you'll keep us in mind. You're always welcome!