“Great atmosphere, great people, amazing food, relaxing stay”

The Saguaro Palm Springs
Ranked #33 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
Boulder
“Great atmosphere, great people, amazing food, relaxing stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

From the Breakfast at El Jefe, to drinks by the pool, to dinner at Tinto, I couldn't really ask for too much more. the rooms were clean and spacious at an extremely reasonable rate! I'd love to be back during one of their weekend pool parties. If you are looking for a fun place to stay with plenty of activities to keep you entertained, I would recommend Saguaro. Everyone on the staff was extremely helpful, courteous and professional. Stephanie's smile and positive attitude alone would keep me coming back.
Book here to make your Palms Springs stay all that it could be.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
SaguaroPS, General Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Chris,

Palm Springs is the ultimate destination for a quick vacation, and it sounds like you made the most of yours! There's nothing better than soaking up the sun just steps away from the relief of a crisp, cool pool. Thank you for the kind words — I know that Stephanie and the rest of the team will be happy to hear them! We hope to welcome you back again next year!

David Curell, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Polish first
Omaha, Nebraska
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel twice, both times having ended up with it in a blind bid process. The first time--a year or two ago--it was a Holiday Inn and the decor was fine. In its latest form, the multi-colored primary painting may be interesting to the coloring book set, but seems silly to anyone over the age of 25.

Upon check-in, the obnoxious clerk informed me of a resort fee of $18.00. His words about the resort fee were mumbled, so I had to ask him to repeat himself. Upon hearing it again, the clerk confirmed that this blatant hidden fee was a reality.

I use Priceline routinely; it's a great concept. Make a bid and if your bid is accepted, you are assigned a hotel room that meets certain minimum standards. Yes, taxes and fees may be added; that's expected (though the $12.00 to $14.00 seemed a bit high, I understand that I was staying in Palm Springs). But to add a bogus "resort fee" over and above the other taxes and fees (another $18.00) is something that even hotels in Vegas don't try to pull when bidding with Priceline.

The clerk was an officious, annoying, know-it-all type, often interrupting, and a very poor listener. I explained that the Priceline terms were not transparent about the "resort fee" that was being added after the negotiation. In fact, a resort fee was not mentioned. When he spoke so assertively, I invited him to show me where in the terms where I could find permission for hotels to arbitrarily add a resort fee. I was not surprised when he could not locate such verbiage in the terms and conditions. As such, he had no alternative than to waive the "resort fee."

As part of his attempt to justify such a high resort fee, he pointed to the lounge, which was filled with people. "Do you think all of these people would be staying here if the resort fee were unreasonable?" His words fell empty a couple of hours later when the bar was empty and the parking lot nearly empty, the party group having left for another hotel or their own home for the night. As my headline notes, the theme of my interaction with this folks was "dishonesty."

I have no problem paying a resort fee, if such a fee is transparent. Politely speaking and simply stated, it is unethical as heck for a given hotel to secure business under a false premise. The Saguaro Palm Springs, benefited from a process that rewards hotels willing to accept bids for hotel rooms at a certain level, then arbitrarily and misleadingly padded their rate. That's blatantly unfair to those hotels that play by the rules.

As I walked to my room, I was a little annoyed by the lack of air conditioning in the public spaces though I looked forward to a quick cool down in my room. Wrong; it took two full hours for the little unit to bring down the temperature in my over 80 degree room. I wondered if I received the room I did because I had the audacity to contest the "resort fee."

Having stayed at this hotel when it was a Holiday Inn in the last year or two, I'd hoped the rooms would be tastefully decorated, pleasant, and professional. Wrong again. The carpeting was purple. Several drawers were open or half-open because they would not shut all of the way, and some of the furniture was tattered and scarred. The painting on the walls was sloppy, as if completed by a young child.

I travel virtually every week, so this review has been completed by a travel warrior, not some occasional traveler that has unrealistically high expectations. It is written in the context of what is reasonable and fair. Hotel clerks with even a modicum of customer service training understand the fundamental principle of avoiding interrupting, listening, and respecting the customer. The clerk that check me in seemed more interested in winning an argument rather than servicing this very unhappy customer.

In future Palm Springs visits, if necessary, I will pay an inflated price for a hotel room rather than risk that I might end up with the dump called The Saguaro Palm Springs again. I recommend you do the same.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank 836Jeff_S836
SaguaroPS, General Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear836Jeff_S836
Thanks for your recent visit and review of our hotel. While most of our guests are thrilled with the dramatic redesign of Saguaro over the army green hue of the previous operator, the bold colors are not for everyone. I’m pleased our front desk graciously waived the resort fees even though we fully disclose our fees with all travel partners including Priceline. Specifically on Priceline confirmations our resort fee is disclosed under the Important Information section. Our resort fee includes property wide Wi-Fi, use of cruiser bikes, shuttle service, daily yoga, fitness and local calls and we are one of 13 Palm Springs hotels to charge such a fee. Feel free to reach out to me at dcurell@jdvhotels.com should I be able to further clarify anything for you.
Mesa, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Clean, spacious rooms, with friendly staff. I'm in a wheelchair, and I have to say it's the most accessible hotel i've ever stayed in!!! The food is absolutely amazing!! The overall atmosphere is colorful and inviting!!! I would definitely stay here again!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
SaguaroPS, General Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Vernae,

Thank you for staying with us! It sounds like you really made the most of your trip! Our vibrant colors are sure to lift anyone's spirits. :) It is so gratifying to hear such kind words — thank you for taking the time to review us. We hope to welcome you back next year!

Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

We loved staying here. Read the reviews but disagree with many of them. We found the staff to be very helpful and nice. The food was very good and you cannot beat the pool area. It is a very cheerful place that makes you feellike you are on vacation. Would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
You're right, Edward! Our pool area can't be beat. We're thrilled that you had so much fun soaking up the sun with us. Thanks for taking the time to review us. Come back and see us again soon!

Best,
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Got a fab last minute deal via the much hated Priceline. (I don't hate them, I imagine the hotel's do). I was able to check in right on time (4pm) and was given a great 3rd floor room facing the road/mtns. The rooms and hotel are so vibrantly colored, I loved it!

Everyone I came into contact with was super friendly! The pool was lovely and very cool (temperature wise) with the misters all over the place. They did play clubby music at the pool but started playing decent tunes as the day rolled on.

Their AM yoga class is a fab way to start the day! Bootsy was cool and it's not a super strenuous class, just enough to wake you up and wring out all the toxins from the day/nite before. They also were supposed to have a H20 aerobic class but I never saw anyone get it started. Boo.

The $18+tax resort fee is well worth it. It includes fast wi-fi and you don't have to track down a ridiculous password to get on it either! Parking was a breeze too!

I would come back here in a heartbeat!

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Between AM yoga, our beautiful pool and the majestic view from your room, it sounds like you made the most of your time in Palm Springs! I'm so happy to hear how pleased your were with your stay. Your review really captured what The Saguaro Palm Springs is all about. Thank you for taking the time to write it. We'd love to welcome you back next year!

moorpark,ca
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

I went here with my husband and kids are it was really fun! The bright colors are different and give it a fun atmosphere.I would go back but would go back with other couples or girlfriends. IT was fine for kids but I would go to a place that has waterslides for kids etc.... The pool is large and the outside bar has good cocktails!
We received good service and i have nothing bad to say about it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for staying with us! We're ecstatic that you and your family had such a wonderful time with us. However, I'm curious — would you mind sharing what brought down your rating? Any thing you can tell us will allow us to improve, so don't hesitate to reach out if you'd like to talk! Until then, thank you for the kind words.

Best,
La Puente
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

I just recently stayed at The Saguaro with my fiance. We decided to go to Palm Springs to lay by the pool and enjoy the local scenery. I have to begin by saying that check in was super easy and fun. The employee who checked us in (i cannot remember his name for the life of me) was awesome!!!.. Our room was super nice and clean. We literally opened the screen door and BAMB, the pool was right there.. It was just fabulous!! The waiters in the pool area were awesome as well.. very attentive and sweet. Overall it was an excellent stay.

The only thing i need to mention is........ The DJ by the pool.. although she was awesome, they definitely need new music... maybe some hip hop or top 40's... =).... The music was too "rave-ish" and I personally can only take so much (not 6 hours straight). We need a variety of music when we are relaxing by the pool =)

Room Tip: pool view room are fun.. and City view rooms are quiet.