“On the road to greatness”

The Saguaro Palm Springs
Ranked #35 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
“On the road to greatness”
Reviewed February 10, 2012

We checked into this property after spending 5 nights at the Westin Resort,we looked for a change. Boy did we find it, while some bumps appeared, limited services, key card problems, lack of wireless and a need for more staff training, We will return.... The GM addressed the problems immediately and effectively. As for a change of pace from the Westin this is it, colorful, friendly and potentially very chic... Travelling more than 200,000 miles per year we usually find this type of property costing much more... Cant wait for the F&B outlets open...

Room Tip: Pool side first floor or top floor facing pool great views of the mountains
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Chef J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Polish first
Anaheim, California
Reviewed February 7, 2012

We were very looking forward to our stay at the new Saguaro - the colors attracted

Like other reviewers mentioned, the grand opening doesn't occur until the 2/13 so nothing was open during this soft opening weekend - and it really showed. The registration/check in area is very bleak with cement floors and a little splash of color - it didn't feel warm and welcoming at all. All of the restaurants were closed so you have to either go across the street or into town in order to eat.

When checking into our room - housekeeping had not arrived yet and our bed was unmade. We weren't sure if we were in someone else's room! Granted, we arrived earlier than the usual 4pm check in, but we were informed at the front desk that our room was ready. I had also noticed that we were put in a downgraded room than I had reserved. I called the front desk and housekeeping was informed to immediately attend to us. I had mentioned that we were not in the correct room that I had reserved and the front stated that because their cabana rooms on the 1st floor were not complete yet, we were put in into another room- WHAT A LACK OF COMMUNICATION! I asked for the difference to be charged back to my credit card, however was informed that the cost difference between the rooms was only $5 and that since I booked on Travelocity, there was nothing they could do about it. I WAS FURIOUS!

To divert my attention, we visited the pool area which had a few well drinks, beers and sangria available. The bartenders (Michael and Shawn) were very nice and friendly - we chatted up a storm with them.

When going back to our room, we discovered that the bathroom was not cleaned either. Soiled towels were in the bathtub and used soap was in the sink. Fed up, I called the front desk again and demanded to speak with a manager. I informed Michael about how housekeeping had not come to our room nor did they do a thorough job and the lack of communication in regards to the room that we booked and what we were given. Michael discounted our rate by $40.

The room itself: The Pool View King room was quite small. The door banged shut and there was much noise coming from outside of our room as well as from other rooms. I didn't think that it was much of an upgrade from a Holiday Inn.

Upon check out at the front desk, Michael apologized for the inconvenience and gave us a bottle of champagne and some chocolate-dipped strawberries. As much as I appreciated the remodel, I don't know if I would stay here at full price.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Tam D
SaguaroPS, General Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
Dear septamber13,

Thank you for writing regarding your experience during our opening weekend at Saguaro Palm Springs. Please accept my apologies that your visit was less than satisfactory. We appreciate you supporting our property and do acknowledge and apologize that not all of our services and amenities were available or delivered as expected. While we made every effort to communicate what services would be available through various booking channels, it is clear the message was not apparent.

We do hope you’ll give us another opportunity to redeem our valuable reputation. Please contact me directly at dcurell@jdvhospitality.com

Reviewed February 7, 2012

I stayed at the saguaro this past weekend with a few girlfriends and we had such a blast! The colors of the hotel were so fun and the staff were all very friendly and welcoming. The bartenders at the pool were such nice guys and really caterered to our every need. We even called down to the front desk a few times for toothpaste and other things and seconds later someone was there with what we asked. The hotel is beautifully decorated, the colors and designs were like nothing I've seen before. My friends and I had a great time and will definitely be going there again for another girls weekend!

• Stayed February 2012
4 Thank Britflem
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 6, 2012

we spent feb 3 & 4th there, I was expecting a new, very pleasant stay, I got the opposite! at check in we were told there were no rooms of the type we already had booked! after an hour delay we were finally allowed to check in. the room smelled of paint, the a/c heater did not work, there were lamps on tables but no outlets nearby, the deadbolt on the door did not work. the front desk was of no help. It seems the hotel spent alot of money on bright paint, but the rest of their property was a big letdown.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank spiceydragon
SaguaroPS, General Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
Dear Spiceydragon,

Thank you for writing regarding your experience during our opening weekend at Saguaro Palm Springs. Please accept my apologies that your visit was less than satisfactory. We appreciate you supporting our property and do acknowledge that not all of our services and amenities were available or delivered as expected. While we made every effort to communicate what services would be available through various booking channels, it is clear the message was not apparent.

San Diego, California
Reviewed February 5, 2012

This hotel has much room for improvement. One can only hope that some of the problems we encountered were due to the hotel being new and will get ironed out soon. The saga started upon check-in: our reserved room rate suddenly was double what we were told when we made the reservation. After a long back and forth, the manager agreed to a rate just above what we initially booked. Argh! Not a good start. The room reeked of paint fumes, the toilet wobbled, the hot and cold faucets were switched, the sheets were itchy. Most disappointing of all, however, was the freezing cold pool and cold hot tub. The hotel charges a "resort fee" (which was waived opening weekend) but I have no idea how this place can call itself a resort. At this point, it is more of a cheesy motel with drunken tweens waking us both nights in the middle of the night yelling and partying in the hallway. Housekeeping did not come to our room until 4:30 pm at which point we sent them away. Breakfast dishes stood outside a room close to ours for the entire weekend without ever being cleared away. I hate seeing a new business fail and can only hope the Saguaro gets its act together.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank Eva S
Dear Eva S,

San Francisco, California
Reviewed February 5, 2012

I was excited to stay at a JDV Hospitality managed property. I typically stay at Marriott or Westin Hotels. This property fell short of that standard in construction and furnishings. My comments should be tempered by the fact that it was the typical chaos for any opening day. Consequently, I will note what I think is now different from the Holiday Inn days of this property that JDV has contributed.

The rooms are the same size with new tile and basin fixtures in the bathrooms. The HVAC appears new, but the controls are incredibly complex to operate. All the furnishings are new in the rooms. My complaint is that I thought the mattresses were to be a softer pillow-top, but they are very firm (not hard, just very, very firm). I had trouble sleeping. The pillows are luxurious feather. The nightstands do not have drawers, and there was only one lamp on one side of the bed, if one person was up late, this could be an issue. A tiny chest of drawers below a 32" flat panel with bad reception would have to hold my clothes (not enough drawers, lamps, or lighting). The closet contained a nice sized
refrigerator and safe with an individual coffee maker. The desk area was adequate, but as a writer, I'm accustomed to a much better desk chair in which to work.

Here's what still feels like a Holiday Inn. The walls are still thin. There were limited electrical outlets in the rooms. Lighting is limited. The buildings are not connected and you probably will not be able to access the hotel lobby from your room via hallways, you must go outside to the parking lot or pool area.

I believe JDV Hospital has spent a lot of their funds on the pool area, lobby, bar, and restaurant. The pool bar is nice. Plenty of young bikini clad gals lined the chaise lounges. The pool and hot tubs close at 10pm, I was ready for a dip after returning from the casino and bars around 12:30am my first night, and again at 10:45pm I wanted the hot tub on the second night.

Restaurants had not yet opened, so there was no food service on the property. This is scheduled to open Feb 13, until then, you must eat offsite, and drink after 5pm offsite.

For incentives to the opening chaos, guests were offered a continental breakfast (bagels, fruit filled pastries, whole fruit, coffee, tea, juice) . The daily parking and Internet fees were waived. The Internet service is decent, and you can upgrade for an additional fee, but I hated having to sign on again everyday. Yoga classes were offered and discounts at the spa (which I never saw). A fitness room will be open after Feb 21st.

This appears to be a competitor to the Ace Hotel nearby. No doubt it will become another Spring Break headquarters. The rainbow colors of the building indicate it as gay friendly, but it does NOT appear to be a gay oriented/focused/targeted hotel. Everyone is welcome to enjoy the sunshine amongst the bright colors!

I'm hoping I get a return voucher to "try us again" once everything is complete and the property has been tweaked from guest feedback.

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank Serendipityquest
Dear Serendipityguest,
I truly appreciate the detailed review and the constructive feedback you provided. We appreciate you supporting our property and do acknowledge and apologize that not all of our services and amenities were available or delivered as expected. We are pleased you recognized the creativity and thought in the design. The 14 hues in our design represent the colors of the local desert flowers.

We do hope you’ll re-experience the hotel at a later date. I'd be happy to set this up for you. Please contact me directly at dcurell@jdvhospitality.com

Warm regards,