“Disappointing”

Ranked #36 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
London
“Disappointing”
Reviewed January 4, 2010

Our family stayed 3 nights at the Hyatt Paln Springs over the New Year period and although the hotel. has been recently refurbished ,overall we were pretty disappointed with many aspects of the hotel. Firstly, be prepared for the most bizarre and we thought depressing decor for the rooms. They are ftted out with with a nausea inducing faded sliver wallpaper with pretty much everything else black (including curtains) except for a thin,miserable and utterly pointless bright orange quarter sized bedspread. This is a shame because actually the rooms are well equiiped with two good sized flat screen TVs in both the bedroom and sitting room areas. Other plus points were that the concierge service was on the whole pretty good as was the breakfast in the large atrium dining area. Now for disaster area number 2... the Swimming Pool. It is not the pool area itself that was our main cause for complalnt but the constant loud music piped to it from dawn to dusk (we were awoken on New Years day at 7am by the din) Why at a time when we all can choose our own music courtesy of an MP3 do hotels still insist on inflicting their own ghastly unavoidable musical taste on us? In Hyatt Palm Springs case the quiet peace of a beautiful warm and relaxing day by the pool was ruined by a head splitting compilation of soft and not so soft rock music. I love music. I love rock music , but I don't want it blaring at me whilst I read my book by the pool. Sorry Hyatt but for every guest who might welcome it there must be 2 who like me, think it is tacky, trashy , unnecessary and unwelcome . So unless you like your wall paper sliver your curtains and carpets black and somebody elses i-pod mix blasted at you by the pool don't go the Hyatt Palm Springs.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Pichon82
HyattPSGM, General Manager at Hyatt Palm Springs, responded to this review, January 5, 2010
I thank you for your comments. I am sorry our choice of design was not pleasing to you and recognize design tastes are very individual. I am sorry you did not enjoy the pool side music and while we do tailor the music to try to appeal to as many people as possible we will review this to refine it better. I am pleased you found so many other aspects of our hotel and service to your satisfaction.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Mountain View, California
Reviewed January 2, 2010

I'm really surprised to see all the negative reviews of this place. Granted, we stayed here around the Xmas holiday, when the renovations were all complete.

We found both the facilties and the service to be top-notch. The look of the rooms was rather trendy, reminiscent of a W hotel when I stayed in New York. The lobby bar has a fire behind it, which is a nice touch. The rooms were nicely appointed (although minimalist) and the beds were quite comfortable. The atrium was very nice, with great mountain views. The gym was equipped with brand new equipment and the pool/spa area looked very nice (although it was too cold to use the pool when we were there).

I loved the view from the room of the mountains and the location cannot be beat. We stepped out of our room onto Palm Canyon Drive, where we could walk to tons of great shops and restaurants. We appreciated the fact that the Hyatt is pet friendly and we were able to get a great rate for the place. We would definitely return to this hotel.

It must've been a completely different experience during the renovations, since I don't feel like I stayed at the same place. This has got to be one of the top spots in Palm Springs, at a fraction of the price of other locations.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank roadwarrior101
HyattPSGM, General Manager at Hyatt Palm Springs, responded to this review, January 4, 2010
Thank you for your comments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit with us and found the new product to your liking.
Surprise, Arizona
Reviewed December 30, 2009

I surprised my husband with a trip to this "resort" for Father's Day. We checked out a day early. The customer service was horrendous. We couldn't even get a real person on the phone in an attempt to check out. I had to call Hyatt's 800 number to finally get a real person to respond to our request to check out and retrieve our car.

We understood that there were renovations occuring, but never in a million years expected Hyatt staff to be so rude, unresponsive, slovenly in appearance and lacking in common courtesy. The rooms were not just worn and dated, they were filthy. I do have some pictures of the filth, but have refrained from posting them. The short comings of the staff and the disgusting filth can not be blamed on renovations.

We too had a bad experience with credit card charges as a previous poster stated. It took weeks to get the charges off of our credit card and we were using Gold Passport points to pay for this stay!

Don't try to use your free breakfast coupons if you plan on having any sort of service past your initial ordering and one subsequent trip for them to throw the food at you. Not one time was my coffee refilled. This was the final insult and why we decided to escape/check out of this place.

While the pictures of the reno look inticing, I am sure hoping the staff also was renovated. Perhaps the staff can be trained to better care for your new fascade so that it doesn't become as disgusting and worn as the old one.

All I can say is thank you Hyatt Corp for returning our Gold Passport points to us. The ONLY nice thing that happend during our experience at this Hyatt.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
HyattPSGM, General Manager at Hyatt Palm Springs, responded to this review, December 31, 2009
Well, as the writer is frank, I will do the same. The summer was difficult without question. The hotel was very run down after a number of years neglect and that has been highlighted in past comments. The renovation period was difficult and our staff tried to cope as best as possible and I am sorry the level of service we expect and wish was not evident here. I apologize for this. With our roll out this fall, all employees have undertaken Hyatt customer service training to raise our service standards. As this visit was on a Gold Point redemption, the hotel replaced the guest's Gold Points onto their account to allow them to use for another visit at another hotel of their choice in future. Our goal is satisfied clients. One comment on the Credit Card Hold - all credit cards have an authorization taken in every hotel world wide at check in for anticipated incidential charges. This hold is placed by the issuers bank and is released in a set number of days as controlled by the individual bank. The hotel is not actually charging or holding any funds. This has been explained to the guests.
derby uk
Reviewed December 29, 2009

Have just spent 3 nights at the hyatt and was very suprised after some of the reviews i had read before coming here.The hotel is in a great location right in the heart of downtown palm springs the rooms were excellent very big and clean the pool area is great with plenty of sunbeds and towels are provided.Would recommend the breakfast buffet it has a great choic with evrything from fresh fruits to pancakes or omlettes overall cannot fault this hotel and will certainly be visiting again

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gerry1958DerbyUk
Thank you for your visit and we are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.
san diego
Reviewed December 24, 2009

I have stayed at this Hyatt before and always enjoyed my stay. I must say the newly renovated rooms make this an excellent value. The suites are very large, a flat screen TV in the main room and the bedroom. The entire hotel has been renovated. The lobby area is a bit dull, all white tile and dark walls, but the new inside bar is nice and comfortable. The gym is all new and first rate for a hotel - although a water fountain inside the room would be a plus. Some are irritated at the parking charge, well, you can park for free on the street behind the hotel or on Amado Rd if you don't want to pay. I am enjoying the great view from the balcony. Will come again, my favorite place to stay in Palm Springs.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
HyattPSGM, General Manager at Hyatt Palm Springs, responded to this review, December 26, 2009
Thank you for your comments. We are pleased you found our new design to your liking. We have installed a 1,400 sq. ft. Hyatt Stay Fit Fitness Center with an extensive range of equipment. We have ordered the final items to complete this area, including a water cooler and they should be in place after the holidays.
Parking is a valuable commodity here in Palm Springs and the Hyatt has the only underground parking facility in the city offering both self and valet parking. This is particularly valuable in the seasonally hot months from May to November. Our parking charges are priced in line wth other hotels in our area. As the guest indicates, one can always attempt to find a parking space on the street but you are subject to short term parking restrictions and subject to ticketing.

Thank you again for allowing us to be of service to you.
Santa Barbara, CA
Reviewed December 9, 2009

We spent 6 nights at the Hyatt in downtown Palm Springs the week of Thanksgiving and I was not impressed. I had read the Trip Advisor reviews and thought that surely things would be better now that they were almost done with the remodeling that has been going on at this property for some time, but I was disappointed with the accommodations and the condition of the ‘refurbished’ room. When I made my reservations in October, they said the pool would be done by November 15th and of course it wasn’t. They offered me free WiFi as a consolation, which I accepted even though it is my contention that if Super 8 can offer free WiFi these more pretentious establishments could certainly do so as well. They were able to extort $14 a day out of me for the privilege of parking in the abandon parking structure; which is ridiculous, this isn’t New York or LA.

The check-in went well with all of the apologies for the construction and the fact that their on-site restaurant was also closed for a few days during most of our stay. We were given room 306 which faces Palm Canyon Drive and the bedroom opens to the pool area. Given the construction going on in the center of the hotel, this probably was one of the quieter locations at this particular time. Be aware that given the design of this property any room is going to have to deal with some noise even during normal times. We did have a nice mountain view from this room and with the pool not being open we did not have any noise from that direction except for the construction which wasn’t too noticeable. In the living room you did have some street noise and the music from a sidewalk café. The refurbished room was a big disappointment. The living room was dark and the furniture was not comfortable. There was a big desk and large screen TVs in the living room and bedroom and the TV reception on many channels was lousy; no excuse for that in this day and age. The bathroom sink top had been broken during installation and glued back together rather than replaced and the same was true for some of the tile on the bathroom floor. The door to the bathroom stuck and the door to the bedroom would not stay open. Just inexcusable for a ‘refurbished’ room.

A couple of good things that I will mention is that we got a good rate ($100), but I sure wouldn’t want to pay what they are going to charge once the construction is done. Also the location is or used to be great, right in the heart of downtown Palm Springs. However, it appears that the city fathers and the economy have almost succeeded in killing all the business in the area and many of the restaurants and shops are no longer open of an evening if they are even open at all.

If you want a below average room at an above average price at a very uninspiring institutional property, give the Hyatt a try. But even now with their reduced rates, there are better values in the area.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Goleta
HyattPSGM, General Manager at Hyatt Palm Springs, responded to this review, December 11, 2009
Thank you for your comments and observations. I am sorry that the our new design is not to your liking. We were continuing to complete our work at the end of November and I am sorry that this impacted you in spite of our attempts to shield our guests from this. We will continue to work to refine our product moving forward and work with the Town of Palm Springs to the betterment of our community.
Vicenza, Italy
Reviewed November 28, 2009

The Hyatt in Palm Springs has the best location of any hotel in town. All of the cute little shops are within steps from the front door. There are also a variety of places to eat all around. The hotel is going through a renovation, but I stayed on the side that had already been completed and did not hear any construction noise. The rooms have really nice balconies with a nice view of the mountains, which butt up against the back of the hotel. The breakfast is okay, but definatley overpriced. Reccommend bringing a small snack to eat in your room and eating your meals out at lunch and dinner. The rooms are nice and large and have 2 flat screen TVs- one in the bedroom and one in the living room. The bathroom is also very spacious. The hotel has a nice, modern fitness room with 3 high tech treadmills, 2 ellipticals, a couple of bikes and some nautilus-type machines. Parking here is outrageous! It cost $19 a night to valet and $14 a night for self-park and there is no other close parking next to the hotel. Not sure why they are charging so much for this service! The hotel can get kind of loud at night from the activity on the street depending on where your room is located, but it was not enough to keep me up. The hotel also has interenet, which they usually charge $9.99 a day for, but is free during the renovation period. If you come here and have to pay for it don't because it is really slow. There is also a starbucks down the street that has Wi-Fi you can use. Overall, a nice hotel in a great location. I would stay here again on a visit to Palm Springs. Lastly, while you are in Palm Springs you must do the Aerial Tram- it is really cool!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased you enjoyed your visit with us.