“Good weekend at Hyatt”

Ranked #36 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
New York City
“Good weekend at Hyatt”
Reviewed December 29, 2008

The last stop on our Christmas trip was a wind down weekend in Palm Springs. Loved the location of hotel, walking distance to everything. Great view from balcony and nice. Pool was on the small side but not a problem as not crowded. Large suites with great bathrooms. Hotel decor was older but spacious and comfortable. Great and helpful staff. Made an ideal stopoff for our end of vacation.

• Liked — Size and large marble bathroom
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed December 10, 2008

I booked through Priceline and was aware there might be problems with room quality because of that. We were given a room on the 5th floor with a view of the pool, which was better than expected. The room was a good size and was somewhat clean (dried on "stuff" was on the bathroom cabinet, dust here and there), but passable. I'd say the thing that surprised me most was that Hyatt has allowed this property to get so run down. The poolside chairs were horrible, what must have once been planters on the balconies were dirt with trash in them - I saw a can sitting on one planter area a few rooms over. This seems to have been a nice hotel once, you'd think Hyatt would want to keep up with maintenance in a location like PS - puzzling, really. The location was superb, right on the main strip so lots of restaurants were in easy walking distance. The Hyatts in San Fran and Atlanta appear to be of the same era (70s?) but they are so much better maintained - why not this one?

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — run down
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank HikerChick
Kettering, Ohio
Reviewed December 9, 2008

I have traveled to the valley many times over the last twenty years, usually in conjunction with a few days in Vegas and a few in the Phoenix area.

I usually start my vacations here by locking in a room at the Palm Springs East property of Motel 6. It is one of the first M6 locations and while the rooms are the normal stuff, the property, especially the pool is great, and it is near Elmer's, a favorite place for breakfast.

Then as time goes by, I start checking Hotwire to get a feel for how hot or cold the market is, and then, if I can't find one at a price less than M6, bid on Priceline for a better property at the next $5 price brake. I've stayed in a variety of PS/PD hotels this way, but in general, visiting here is about the shops, dining, and pool; not the room per se.

This year the M6 was going for $44, and the Hotwire rooms were all higher. I bid $45 for a top level place on Priceline, got refused, added one level lower and bid $50, and I got the Hyatt. Now of course, the parking is a steep $12 a night for underground parking in a lot designed for a dead shopping mall, but I found they only charged me the daily rate if I drove out each day. The day I stayed in town, I was charged $12 for two days, so keep that in mind.

When I checked in, I was given a room on the 5th floor overlooking the street rather than the mountains. I would have preferred the view west, but the street view was good. The room was fresh and very clean. Not quite up to other top places I've stayed at, but the hotel is next door to a dead mall, on a street with about 30% empty storefronts, and little street traffic on non-holidays or weekends. The maids cleaned the room as there was only one other guest on the 5th floor during my stay, and only a few other rooms rented on other floors.

I've seen PS go through a full cycle now from worn to great to a little depressed and hope it will come back.

The public areas were nice, but while sitting by the pool, alone for most of the day, I couldn't help but notice the missing tiles on the rooms overlooking the pool, the stains in the terra cotta, the wear and tear of busy times whose repairs have to wait. They staff was great, and tried to keep up a good attitute, but it was clear they were bored because of the lack of guests. At dinner only one table had diners inside, and only bar hounds at the outside restaurant.

The area dining made the trip worthwhile. I like the small places that still are open and the outside seating.

As long as you recognize that the price is only a few bucks more than a M6, you'll have a great staff, and great service if you're there on an offpeak stay. My nly issue was being charged $6.50 for a bottle of water I didn't drink, but even if I had, the price shown on the bottle was $3.75. It was quickly corrected.

• Liked — Great Staff
  • Disliked — Feeling that I was the only guest.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
Santa Barbara
Reviewed November 25, 2008

I was glad when Priceline accepted my bid and I found out we would be staying at this hotel. Then I started reading the reviews and got very nervous so we arrived not expecting much. Happily our experience here was great. The staff was helpful and friendly, the suite was large, clean, quiet and comfortable. The location was perfect for an evening stroll down Palm Canyon Blvd...I can say we had a wonderful time and we'd stay here again in a minute!

• Liked — it was quiet and comfortable
  • Disliked — some of the furnishings were a bit 'tired'
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
West Hollywood, California
Reviewed October 19, 2008

I landed this hotel for $54.00 during a slow October weekend. I was very pleased and surprised that my bid was accepted at the Hyatt Suites. I thought it would be a busier weekend in the desert. I anticipated a decent stay since I have been a guest at this hotel before. Unfortunately, my room, 201, was one of poor quality.

The mattresses are old and uncomfortable. My room furnishings looked worn. The sheets were scratchy and I could feel the springs in the bed. The bed spread was old and outdated too
Even, the carpeting and furniture were badly stained. Finally, it was disappointing to notice dirt in the bathroom.

Room 201 was in an outdoor courtyard section adjacent to one of the Hyatt's restaurants and bars. I could hear loud (and bad) music till eleven pm. Clearly, I got one of the worst rooms in this property and I believe in the section of the hotel most likely given to Priceline guests .

It is impressive to walk into this hotel. The lobby of this hotel is very nice and has a large atrium. In the middle of the atrium are three glass elevators to take guests to their rooms and a lobby bar/restaurant. The front desk is tucked neatly off to the side. Fortunately, there was no line to check in when I got to the hotel. Check-in went smoothly although the clerk did mention Priceline. He was professional but not overtly hospitable as he handed me my key. I knew of a side elevator to take me to the second floor although he did not point me in that direction.

Room 201 was large with a nice size seating area. The bedroom was in the back and the two rooms were seperated by a door. Between the bedroom and living room was a small area that had a refrigerator, a coffee maker and a closet. The bathroom was decent sized with nice amentities. TThe towels were soft and of good quality. Unfortunately, I did notice stains running down the vanity and dust in the corners. The bathroom needed a really good cleaning.

I was able to access free wi-fi from the room so I did not have to pay for the T-Mobile wi-fi offered by the hotel. I did not try any of the food and beverage outlets so I can comment on the quality. The room service menu had high prices typical of many hotels. I did notice a very standard $3.00 service delivery charge and 18% gratuity added to one's room servie bill listed on the menu. Parking was an additional $12.00 per day.

The bedroom had doors which opened on to a balcony that overlooked the beautiful mountains of Palm Springs. Unfortunately there was no furniture on the balcony when I arrived so I had to call the desk for chairs. The hotel has a great location in the heart of downtown Palm Springs. Its walkable to many attractions and has a nice pool area. It was relaxing to sit out and read the paper. The fitness room, located in the lobby had 4 aerobic machines and free weights. It was kind of cramped but I was able to get a good workout in. I have seen much nicer, more spacious gyms in many other hotels.

Its tough to complain about getting the Hyatt Suites at $54.00 over a weekend no matter how poor the room quality. Yet, my stay was just so-so. If the bed was in better shape, well, I think I would be happier as well as better rested......instead, I just had a eehhhh kind of experience.

• Liked — Location of hotel
  • Disliked — The beds are uncomfortable
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank hjmover
los angeles, ca
Reviewed September 12, 2008

We booked this room on Priceline and were excited to see that we got a Hyatt for such a cheap price - until we got there.

Once we got there, turns out we (and numerous other guests) were bumped - they oversold the rooms. The front desk staff was young and inexperienced - and not even profesionally dressed. They were nice, but that's the only good thing I can say about them.

I had to spend an hour on the phone with Priceline & the hotel to get put into another place (luckily, Priceline footed the bill). Turns out it was the best thing that could have happened - this place was dated, the clientele seemed a little rowdy, and the customer service was poor. We ended up at the Courtyard by Marriott which had an EXCELLENT staff, lots of amenities, nice clientele and was great for kids. I will never try to stay here again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank fooemery
California
Reviewed August 6, 2008

I really don't even want to give one star. This was terrible. I wish I would have check the reviews before booking. The reservations made the wrong reservation, the front desk blamed the mistake on the reservations being in Omaha (like I care where they are, if you don't know the hotel don't work at the reservation station). They over charged us and charged us for things we never received or requested. Others around the pool told us they had bugs in their room. And upon check out a lady run over to my car to tell me there was dog poop in her room.

• Liked — My Friend
  • Disliked — The entire place
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends