“Wonderful Rooms Accompanied by Mediocre Service”
Review of Hyatt Palm Springs

Hyatt Palm Springs
Ranked #37 of 74 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Truly spacious and well appointed rooms making this hotel ideal from my perspective. Unfortunately, a late check-in was not accompanied by bell staff in a timely fashion necessitating handling my own baggage and vehicle parking. This was all compounded by non-existent hot water (or anything but absolute cold water for that matter) at both 01:30am in the morning as well as 08:30am in the morning....

With that said, would stay here again for the rooms, but certainly the overall establishment is not up to the Hyatt standard.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
David Y, General Manager at Hyatt Palm Springs, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2014

Dalecorp,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We apologize for the troubles you encountered with valet and the hot water in your room. We will use your feedback to coach and train our valet team to prevent delays in the future. We will also monitor the hot water in our guest rooms. We haven't had any other reports of no hot water but we appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We do hope you will stay with us again soon so you can experience our improvement first hand!

Reviewed July 9, 2014

We always going to Palm Springs to enjoy a little break from the world!
The Hyatt is really in the middle of the old city and you can reach all the wonderful shops and restaurants in a small walking distance! Unfortunately, the hotel is very clairaudient and night rest is hard to find!
Also, the cleanness is very poor! Don´t look in the corners or under the beds...

Room Tip: We booked a Cabana suite! In front of our cabana Suite we had for 3 days a group of 6 drunk party gi...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Doris W,
Thank you for the review. Our hotel is in a great location for exploring Palm Springs. You can walk to the casino, check out all of the shopping on The Strip, or enjoy one of many wonderful restaurants Palm Springs has to offer. There are also a number of bars of you wanted to take in the nightlife!

Reviewed July 8, 2014

The combination of location, staff/service, hotel atmosphere and quality of the food here made this an absolutely excellent stay for us! We stayed here for a 'girls get-away weekend' over the 4th of July Holiday, staying 4 days, checking in Wednesday and checking out Sunday. During this stretch we got to see the transition from mellow guest-flow to an at max capacity on the 4th, and through it all the staff, service, food and care and attention we were given was phenomenal. I feel badly I can't remember all the folks who tended to us over the days we were there, but Jeff, Brittney (sp?) and David really stood out in making us feel like all-stars! Seriously, the service - top notch. We ate breakfast, appetizers, dinners at the in-house restaurant SHARE-Small Plates (amazingly delicious) and one of the gentlemen who served us a couple of times saw us checking out Sunday as he was on the way for more plates or forks or whatever and trotted up to us, "Girls! No breakfast today?! Well, how about some tea? Coffee? Juice? Anything I can get you for the road? Muffin?" He remembered us (never mind that there were 2000 people there that weekend!) and seemed in earnest concerned we were leaving empty handed, LOL. This was how we were treated all weekend! Despite it being a crazy-busy holiday weekend the staff remembered us, what we ordered, what we liked, our favorite drinks, etc., etc. - it blew our minds for 1.) they remembered us from the hundreds of other guests and 2.) despite being busy and having things to do staffers would stop for a moment and ask us how the restaurant was we tried, did we find that shop we wanted to see, make sure we see the singer tonight, remember - fireworks at 9! - I mean it goes on and it's all little stuff that adds up to a spectacular stay!

Location was terrific, located downtown and within walking distance are TONS of shops and restaurants. There's some mega-outlet mall outside town a little bit (10-15 minutes) that we passed by on the freeway that has about every store you can imagine too (for you serious shoppers out there).

Hotel was very fashionably decorated with a lot of spacious, open lounge areas and our room was well kept and clean. Also, pets are allowed!! I had no idea about this until I got there and I was thrilled to see 4-legged friends are welcome. This situation is managed wonderfully as at no time during our stay did we feel like we were in a 'dog hotel' despite the number of folks with fur-babies we saw checking in. Pets checking in whose rooms aren't quite ready get doggy bowls for water while they wait - such a thoughtful touch!

Room was large and tended to well, we had a double suite and the lounge area was fashionably decorated AND comfortable. If the Hyatt is taking suggestions - one insy-eensy complaint I have is the clocks in the room ... those things are an exercise in frustration! Although, to be fair, we were in the room so infrequently that we never ended up calling for help as to how the change the time, so that's on us.

We were lucky to experience two separate entertainers while we were there, singing the evenings at the outside lounge HooDoo. Paul on Saturday night was incredible - belting out the oldies (think Sinatra, etc.) with a side-kick guy who belted out, among others, some David Lee Roth during Pauls breaks. It was great - these guys sounded exactly like who they were belting out. We loved it, definitely feeling like the old school glam of days gone past with these guys. Another fun touch was a DJ they had at the pool area Friday and Saturday, which totally made the pool time transfer into ultra fun zone. I bowed out of the super-crowded pool area in exchange for the many lounge areas both inside and outside to people watch in the shade with a frosty beverage. We completely lagged in doing it in time, but there are cabana's available pool side available to rent if you don't want a cabana suite.

All in all, it was a great visit and I can't help but feel like it was made that way mostly due to the care and service the staff provided. I really felt they went above and beyond for us, and the other guests, in making sure we all had fantastic stays. Didn't hurt that the food within the hotel is actually pretty amazing and we lucked upon some great entertainment while there. :)

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street are good for people watching (or fireworks), not really for a 'view'...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank StrongInSC

Wow....thank you for such a terrific review. The weekend of the 4th of July was challenging but we are very pleased to hear that our guest still received excellent service. We can't wait to have you stay with us during a slower time. Then you will really get to see the excellent service our team can provide!

Reviewed July 6, 2014

I have stayed at the Hyatt Palm Springs twice and return for a couple reasons.
1. The location to downtown and the Thursday Night Street Fair - it's right outside.
2. Love the Cabana Suite (walk out your door and you are at the pool)
3. Friendly, helpful staff and well maintained, clean rooms.
4. Live music at the bar/lounge out front.

My son asked if we could live there after our two night stay ended.

The Spinach Chicken and Goat Cheese salad in the restaurant was delicious. My 10 year old wanted chicken strips (not on the menu) but they made them for him anyway.

EVERYONE provided excellent service. The entire staff was friendly and accommodating. The refrigerator in my suite was running warm (dial turned down and I didn't see it) - engineering arrived within 10 minutes of my call to the front desk. Housekeeping came by on day 2 - I told them I didn't need more than the trash emptied-we are low maintenance - just needed TP, trash emptied and more lotion - they still came in and cleaned.

My only complaint was the EXTRA FEES mandatory fees - valet $25/night and "resort fee" $15 a night. NOT HAPPY ABOUT THIS. Would probably make me consider getting a cheaper room next time. Took my total budget above what I would have liked. They also charge extra for lounges in the shade/cabanas near the pool. I overheard a guy irate about this - especially because it was a quiet day and they were not being used. So basically I parked for $50. We walked the whole time so nobody was moving my car until departure.

Room Tip: The cabana suites are great for being close to the pool.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Kelly G

Kelly G,
Thank you taking the time to write us an excellent review. We are more than happy to accommodate our "little" guests. It was our pleasure to make him chicken strips. We would be more than happy to do it again for your next stay with us!

Reviewed July 6, 2014

I can't say enough good things about this hotel. First off they are a pet friendly hotel with extremely reasonable pet fees. The entire staff doted on my 2 fur babies from the moment we arrived. Our room was absolutely beautiful and clean. The living area is spacious and is furnished very well. The location is great. When staying you are in walking distance to restaurants, bars, boutiques and coffee shops. I would highly recommend this hotel. Oh and they also serve a complimentary buffet in the morning. Great hotel and an outstanding value.

• Stayed: July 2014

Doggymama1020,
Thank for a wonderful review. We could not say it better ourselves! We are in a great location, we have large suites for our guests to lounge about and we are very pet friendly. Unfortunately, our buffet is only complementary for our diamond and platinum Hyatt Gold Passport guests. If you are not yet a Hyatt Gold Passport member, or just not a diamond or platinum level, we would be more than happy to have you stay with us again and accrue more points to achieve those levels!

Reviewed July 5, 2014

I have written 160 reviews and though I have often lauded people who provide particularly good service, I have never mentioned someone in the title of a review. Jasmine S., the front desk manager, deserves recognition for her phenomenal customer service.
We stayed at the Hyatt from June 21 to 23. I had booked the room two months earlier. When we arrived, I asked for a pool view and was told that one was not available because the hotel was "overbooked". We proceeded to our room.
I can not express the disappointment and dismay that I felt when I saw the room. All of the furniture was stained; the ottoman had a six inch tear in it. The wallpaper was patched (badly) throughout. The balcony looked as though it had been through a disaster. The grout in the bathroom was yellow or missing altogether. A sawed off rusty pipe jutted in the shower.
I had planned our trip to Palm Springs to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday and graduation from university (in fairness, the hotel did not know this). I am a Platinum member, but regardless of my status, the room was nothing that one would expect from the Hyatt brand.
I went to the front desk and was passed over to Jasmine S., the front desk manager. From the moment that she first spoke with me, she made me feel that she genuinely cared about my concerns. She listened to me, accompanied me to the room, and told me that she could understand my disappointment. That evening, when we returned to the room, we found a hand-written note from her. She provided us with a bottle of sparkling wine and for the next two nights gave us a large suite for the same rate that we would have paid for the smaller room.
Truth be told, this Hyatt is very "average"; it is an older hotel and even in the suite the air conditioning struggled to keep the room cool. The pool area is lovely, albeit small. The location, however, is excellent for those who want to be an easy walk from restaurants, bars and shops.
What began as an awful experience turned out wonderfully, not because we were moved to a suite, but because Jasmine made us feel that we are important. And I will continue to frequent Hyatt hotels in the hope that service will be at least nearly as good as that provided by Jasmine.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mr_Weston
David Y, General Manager at Hyatt Palm Springs, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2014

Mr_Weston,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with detailed and honest feedback. I apologize for the substandard room you all were originally placed into. We will address the deficiencies in that room.

Jasmin is an excellent addition to our team. She regularly goes the extra mile to ensure our guests have an excellent time at our hotel. We would love to have you stay with us again soon. We would like to prove to you the troubles you encountered are not the norm at the Hyatt Palms Springs. The excellent service provided by Jasmin...that will continue!

Reviewed July 4, 2014

Really relaxing and stunning rooms. We really got to enjoy just sitting in the room. It was clean and the staff had done everything to go the extra mile. We will be coming back and just hope there is a room available.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Celia,
Thank you for such an excellent review! We will always have a clean and relaxing room ready for you! We can't wait to have you stay with us again. Our staff will continue to go the extra mile for you. Have an excellent day!