“Disappointed. Again.”

Ranked #36 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Bozeman, Montana
“Disappointed. Again.”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This was my second stay at a Hyatt hotel in the last year. I was disappointed the first time, and now, disappointed again. For some reason I expect a little more from Hyatt hotels and, in all fairness, I may have just picked two poor ones out of an otherwise excellent chain.
The location of this hotel is its strong point. I booked it primarily because it was within walking distance of an event I was attending. It is on Palm Springs' "main" street and thus has a good variety of shopping and dining opportunities.
Other than that, I have nothing positive to say. The building is obviously a leftover design from the early 70's and Hyatt has tossed in some decor and furnishings in order to try to make it more contemporary. Their efforts were wasted. I believe that the housekeeping and maintenance staff are leftover from the 70's as well. In my 4 day stay, I never saw the carpets outside of the slow elevators vacuumed. I noticed the grunge on the first day and figured they'd get to it, but it never happened. My room, although a large suite, was in need of serious maintenance. The caulk around the sink and shower was disgusting and beginning to mold, it may have been original. The refrigerator hummed loudly and hiccuped throughout my stay. (70's vintage?) And although there was a newer HD flat screen tv in the room, the reception was horrible, far below HD and likely below standard definition.
With a Starbucks just down the street (turn right out the door until the first intersection), I never ate breakfast at the property. Until the last morning. I stopped into the "lounge" for what appeared to be a typical continental breakfast. Based on their offering, I assumed (my bad) that it was complimentary. Then I was handed a check for $17.00.
I'll likely be back in Palm Springs later this year but obviously won't be staying at the Hyatt.

Room Tip: Choose a room at another hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank TrekTeam
hyattpalmspringsGM, General Manager at Hyatt Palm Springs, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Your effort and time in sharing your comments surrounding your experiences with the Hyatt Palm Springs is most appreciated and something we take very seriously. Please accept my sincere apologies for any aggravation or inconvenience you may have experienced during your visit. We want to make this right for you, please let me know what can be done to turn this into a positive experience.

Please contact me directly if there is something I can do to assist you.

David Rijos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Great location right downtown near all the nightlife and restaurants. Excellent suites with modern conveniences, although the hotel itself is a little dated. The elevators aren't the greatest, but the pool and hot tub area is nothing short of excellent. I would definitely book again should I return to Palm Springs. Also take in the Village Pub if you want a snack and a couple beers, I was there for a rather entertaining karaoke night.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Modern_Day_Drifter36
hyattpalmspringsGM, General Manager at Hyatt Palm Springs, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
I wanted to take a moment to THANK YOU for your business! We know that you have many choices in lodging accommodations and we really appreciate the fact that you chose to stay at the Hyatt Palm Springs. We hope that your stay with us was EXCELLENT!!!! If you have any comments regarding associates that provided you with TOP-NOTCH service or ways that we could make your next visit with us more enjoyable, please do not hesitate to reply to this email or to contact me directly.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Palm Springs very soon.

Glendale, California
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Cons - our cards never worked right (we had to stand at the door, pushing in and pulling out our key card, poised to attack the handle when and if it ever turned green), the front of our room faced the outdoor bar/entertainment area which is quite loud at night (ask for an interior room if you like it quiet), the bathroom was nicely renovated but they left the old tub in there (?), $15 to park and $15 resort fee PER NIGHT (the below-ground parking was dark, a bit scary, and super confusing to navigate (twice we pulled in to a dead end and had to back out - and so did the other cars behind us), almost every single time we got on the elevator by the outside rooms we rode with (very, very nice) staff rolling stuffed bins of dirty towels, sheets, or garbage (often we couldn't fit and would have to wait for the next one - is there no service elevator in this place?? And it was excruciatingly slow - we were told that the elevator was built in the early 80's!). Pros - the location is great (walkig distance to everything), the pool area has fires in the firepits at night, the view from the outdoor balconies is gorgeous, the staff was very friendly, and the included breakfast was absolutely delicious (tons of variety of hot foods, bakery, fresh fruit).

Room Tip: Rooms in which the living room area faces the interior (instead of the outdoor bar area near the fro...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Melissa B

In our mission to be the first choice of the world’s travelers, it is the feedback from our guests that allows us to better tailor the hotel and experiences to our guests’ needs. We obviously fell short during your stay. You can be confident that we will follow-up on the points you have outlined to ensure staff awareness and additional staff training where needed.

Hyatt Palm Springs values your patronage – we want you as our guest! Again, we extend our apologies, and hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve you again in the near future to show you this was an exception and not the rule.

washington
Reviewed February 27, 2013

The good part: very large suite, nice bathroom finishes, good bath products, location in center downtown Palm Springs area (good for some people/maybe not for others).
The not so good started with the self-parking charge of $15 daily - excessive given the cost of the room to begin with. They wouldn't let me use the luggage cart for self park - said it would be their liability if I hurt myself with it, so I carried all my luggage. I had the "do no disturb" sign on my door until 9am when I removed it and left my room. They didn't clean my room - said I was supposed to call to tell them I had left. In every other hotel I have stayed in the housekeeping staff checks back a little later in the day, the responsibility doesn't rest with the guest. Internet connection instructions in guest book in the room were wrong - I was told they hadn't done it that way for a year or two but haven't updated the book - wasted about an hour of my time. The bed was a pillow top but the pillow top part was so compressed from wear that the bed was hard and uncomfortable. The pillows were stuffed into cases that were one size too small so they were hard. The TV was snowy - maintenance had to come up to fix.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Hotel check in is at 4pm. Did not have our room ready until 7pm. We went to their restaurant to wait and have dinner. Wait we did! Took 40 minutes to get our salad. Meal was fair but mixed up the order. Asked for lower floor as my husband was not well and we have a small service dog. We were put on the top floor. I will say that the staff was compassionate and tried their best but most were new to the hotel. Needs some updating as well in the rooms. Breakfast buffet on Monday morning was good. We left 2 days early as we were not comfortable. They did discount our stay due to inconveniences.

• Stayed February 2013
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 25, 2013

very surprised and happy with how big this room was.... didn't realize they are suites. very well kept hotel. very nice service. very comfortable stay overall. good location. only negative was i didn't like the room service menu choices, but just my personal take on it. i would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank travelgal018
Jasmin E, Manager at Hyatt Palm Springs, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
A special Thank You for your review! Anything you shared is valuable to our hotel as this will make us meet guests satisfaction. As per in-room dining, We will re-revist our menu to continuously meet your preferences. Again, THANK YOU for staying with us and please come back and see us again. Have an Excellent Day!

Jasmin Enriquez
Rooms Division Manager
Hyatt Regency Suites Palm Spring
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The skinny:

Parking: Valet ($20), self park ($15) - garage is scary
Service: mediocre
Decor: some updating but its coming apart
Location: Central on North Palm Cyn Rd
Price: very expensive ($300/night on a Saturday)
Room Size: huge!
Towels: white, not soft, kind of scratchy
Sheets: not cool and crisp, more like thick and heavy
Bed Comfort: good, firm
Cleanliness: eh

I am a Hyatt Passport member and I have stayed at a few Hyatt Properties around the US and overseas. I am surprised this hotel is rated 4 stars. The huge brown monolith rises over the center of North Palm Canyon Drive, the main drag with all the shops and restaurants. You can not beat the location, very Central! As you walk into the lobby, you will walk through a gauntlet of smokers as the ash trays are located right outside of the front doors. I particularly don't care for cigarette smoke and its too bad they (smokers) are all right by the front door where a breeze can push the smoke into the lobby. The decor is orange, brown and gold. You can tell what they did in the 2009 renovation but sadly, the 70's vibe still peeks through. Simple things like wrapping the handles of the glass elevator bars in faux leather is a nice touch, but the material is coming apart. In another elevator, they wrapped the panels on the walls in the faux leather and the material buckles and looks shoddy. Poorly done and cheap looking. The walls and doors around the lobby are heavily scuffed and nicked. Everything looks very run down.

I was checked in by Esther (?) and she was super nice. It took a little while since she has to answer the phone as well and has to stop the check-in process to help the people on the phone. She was apologetic and I understood. Where was her help? At $300 a night on a Saturday surely they can get more help?

We were given a room on the third floor. It was huge and I loved the size. Two double Beds in one room and a huge living room with another TV, a balcony over looking the street, and a large outdated bathroom. Free wifi and complimentary waters (Aquafina). With all the money they spent in the renovation, its strange that they didn't get rid of the popcorn ceilings in the room. Also, where they slapped on the fancy wallpaper and the ceiling met it was dirty, peeling and you could see the glue. Not so great. I called the front desk but no one ever answered.

Later that evening when we returned from our adventures, my friend took her shower, then I took mine. The very dark shower curtain (which makes the shower area very dark and hard to see) did not completely close so with the gap, a large amount of water flew out onto the floor creating a lake all the way to the toilet. No worries I thought, I ordered extra towels on the e-concierge. But alas they never brought the towels. So I used every available small towel to sop up the lake. The faucet was also broken and kept creeping south turning the water scalding hot. After sopping up the lake, I noticed that they dont clean the corners of the floor as there was pubic hair and dirt and grit that had obviously built up. Disgusting. I washed my hands and when I leaned on the counter, my arms got wet Because the fan doesnt work and the humidity of the scalding shower left moisture everywhere. At this point I went down to the desk. I told the gal at the desk what happened. She was apologetic and said they would fix the faucet and send more towels up. I asked for the towels to be put in a bag and hung on the door knob as my friend was already sleeping. She said ok and I went back to my room with 2 breakfast coupons she offered. Three minutes later there was a knock at the door. So much for that. I opened the door and there were 3 towels NOT in bag but thrown on the carpet in the hall. So very frustrating.

My friend had to leave early so we had breakfast at 630am. Despite being the only 2 people for a half hour the servers were not friendly. When my friend spoke to them in Spanish, they were a bit friendlier. The food was ok, nothing to write home about. Most entrees are $12 and up so if you have a choice, go elsewhere.

My friend took off and I tried to go back to sleep. Alas, by 8am the lobby was in full swing with breakfast going on and you can hear it all. Then at 10am the vacuuming in other rooms begin and you can totally here that.

And lastly, if you self park, the garage was not renovated at all. It is super creepy down there and if you are a single woman try and park as close to the elevator as possible.

I was very disappointed in my stay with the mediocre service, the shoddy decor, and unclean and broken bathroom. I expect a lot more for $300.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends