“Better places to stay!”
Review of Villa Royale Inn

Villa Royale Inn
Ranked #46 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed September 23, 2013

The Travelzoo discount was not even worth staying here for! If you want a "no smoking" atmosphere...this isn't the place!!! Ash trays EVERYWHERE. People smoke on the patio adjoining yours so that you have to stay inside. Although the room was quaint, the "spa shower" body sprays were alll capped off. The iron was also broken. You could not roll luggage into the rooom because the final walkway was gravel with patio stepping stones. Nothing to eat or drink before Thursday unless you leave the property. A bogus $25 voucher that could only be used for an add on to a larger purchase. The disposition of the breakfast wait staff will make you go somewhere else for breakfast if you can stand the smoke for a multiple day stay. No towels at the pool or hot tub when we went for an evening dip. Stay at the La Quinta down the street. We had a MUCH better stay there. Pretty much hated this place. Jack was pleasant on the phone when making the reservation. Too bad the rest of the place doesn't reflect him.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank spencer7259
There are newer reviews for Villa Royale Inn

Reviewed September 19, 2013

This is our send time at the Villa Royale. We normally come out to Palm Springs each fall and have stayed in different hotels each time. This year we came back to the VR. Everyone at the hotel was super nice and accommodating. What ever we needed, they were right there to take care of it. This hotel is close to the shopping district but its nice just to lounge by the pool which is super quiet. We will be back next year.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lorenwebb
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This was our first stay in Palm Springs and we could not have enjoyed it more. We, too, were enticed by a TravelZoo offer -- and will happily stay here again -- discount or not. Finding the hotel located off the beaten path on a side street was at first a bit distressing -- but, we could not have been more wrong. The entire property is charming and feels a bit like a "secret find." We chose a one bedroom villa. It was comfortable, clean and decorated beautifully. Though the menu is limited, the cooked-to-order breakfast was very good. And while my eggs were perfectly cooked, I agree with a previous post that a second piece of toast would have been nice. The restaurant is quite elegant and having breakfast on the patio was very pleasant. We also had dinner one evening in the hotel restaurant - Europa. The food was very good and the portions very large. It proved to be the best meal we had on our visit. The entire staff could not have been more accommodating.

1  Thank Bibliocook
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last June and absolutely loved it- partly because we got engaged here. If you can bare the hot temperature i recommend going at the end of peak season as you ended up having the place pretty much to yourself. We were lucky enough to enjoy solitude for a couple of nights- we stayed here for 4 days on the last leg of our Cali tour. The villa in itself is very charming, not overly close to the centre but that didn't bother us as we had a car. On our 'alone' days staff were happy for us to play our own music,drink champagne and swim in the pool late at night- It felt like we had our own villa. Rooms were clean and wi fi was working perfectly fine in our rooms.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I found a TravelZoo offer for this hotel not long before my trip to Palm Springs and, per my usual, I checked out Trip Advisor reviews before purchasing the voucher. This is the first time I disagreed with Trip Advisor reviews. Don't get me wrong - this is a beautiful property and not at all like cookie-cutter hotel chains. I'll do my best to break down the good - and the bad.
THE GOOD: It's a beautiful property and each villa has a living room and separate bedroom - it feels like home and has really plush, comfortable sofas and armchairs - just like home. Both living room and bedroom have ceiling fans - which I just LOVE. There was a beautiful stone fireplace and a large, comfy four poster bed with wonderful pillows and comfy sheets and comforter. The location is really good - just a few minutes from downtown Palm Springs, restaurants and shopping and SPECTACULAR views of the surrounding mountains. THE NOT-SO-GOOD: The fist problem was lack of connectivity in my room. I stayed in #101 - furthest from the office - which I suspect was the culprit - but this was still an enormous inconvenience. Secondly, the bathroom was good size but had a really tiny corner shower stall. I am only 5' 4" and kept banging my elbows on the shower walls when I washed my hair. There's NO way I could have shaved my legs - and there was no tub. The bathroom also had a pedestal sink. I hate pedestal sinks because there is nowhere to put your toiletries - especially when you are travelling and living out of bags and suitcases. The last thing that was a bit of a turn-off were the pools. They are REALLY small pools and are surrounded by the rooms which cut off any breeze or air flow - so sitting poolside is like sitting in a sauna. I found the fitness room but was unable to see what was inside because it was locked and my room key didn't open the door.
The first morning I had breakfast, two sunny side up eggs were cooked to perfection with sausage, potatoes and (one) piece of toast with orange juice and delicious coffee. The second day I had a different server who did not offer juice and brought out sunny side up eggs. When I pointed out that the whites weren't cooked - which was obvious as soon as you looked at them - she said "Do you want them cooked over easy instead?" I told her no - I wanted them cooked sunny - but with the whites COOKED. She brought back eggs with no sausage and (literally) a couple of pieces of potato and the single slice of toast. I left, exasperated and went in search of a chain hotel to move to.
The bottom line is with a boutique-style property like this, service and consistency are everything. This is a beautiful property but the level of service is inconsistent. I moved to a Hilton property from this hotel because I needed to know that I would get everything promised to me. Villa Royale Inn, unfortunately, failed to live up to what was promised.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are uniquely decorated. If you need good internet service - be sure to mention this...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Lisagmd
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We decided to get away for the Labor Day weekend and found this place online (Trip Advisor). We arrived very late but were greeted by David and with a quick check-in, were shown to our room. Granted, it is an older establishment, but that is part of the charm. Our large room had a private patio and kitchenette. We loved the mature plantings, the privacy, and the ambience. The dinner we had at Europa (on-site restaurant) was fantastic. The staff gave good recommendations for other evening dining as well. A definite stay again!!!!

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We were very excited about our first trip to Palm Springs and staying at the Villa Royale, which we'd discovered online.

We arrived rather late (8:30 pm) for a 2 night stay and were pleasantly greeted by two fellows at the bar. Nancy checked us in and was nice enough, providing a quick overview of the property and showing us to our room (122).

Each room is uniquely decorated and we'd chosen ours from pictures we saw on Facebook and a phone conversation with Jack.

We loved the room, which is more secluded than the others and is a lovely space. There were a couple of minor issues:

1) There seems to be a housekeeping problem with the bathroom - In checking out the room we found a large empty vodka bottle stashed under the bathroom sink (!?); the bottom edge of the tub, where it meets the bathroom floor, was dirty with scuff marks, etc., which should be cleaned off, c) there is mold forming in the ceiling corners over the tub.

2) the patio entrance gate to the room (patio is in front, not back) was hard to open or close - the mechanism is basically broken - we reported it to the front office when we checked out

The property is beautiful and we took advantage of the lovely little pool and the lounge chairs - there were plenty of pool towels available and there was ice water with lime available to drink at the little outdoor lounge area. I went swimming very early the second day and had the pool to myself, while the sun came up...joyous!

We didn't have the complimentary breakfast the first day - just had some of the good Lavazza coffee that was put out in the lounge area near the pool.

The second morning we went to breakfast in the beautiful Europa restaurant, but the service was hugely disappointing, as the waitress was sarcastic and rude. She also basically yelled the orders to the cooks - hardly what one would expect in anything other than a cheap diner. She doesn't seem to like her job. The coffee also wasn't as good, but not sure why...the breakfast is very small and we got the feeling we shouldn't ask for an extra piece of toast or sausage, so we didn't. It was disappointing.

Before leaving, we walked around the property and discovered the back section with its own pool, the lovely rose garden that Jack was tending, as well as where the fitness and spa rooms are - neither were open, so we didn't get to see what they're like.

We came away wanting to go back again and next time we'll stay in one of the villas. We hope that the some of the small repair items around the place will be addressed and some staff training takes place before we return - we'd love to give 5 stars next time!!

Room Tip: check out the room pics on Facebook to find the room you like!