“I spent almost a month here.”
Review of Villa Royale Inn

Villa Royale Inn
Ranked #46 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
North Hampton, New Hampshire
“I spent almost a month here.”
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Had a family issue in the desert and needed a nice place to rest. This is it. What a great place, kind people, fantastic food and liquor, walking distance to other great places. I had the chance to stay in 3 rooms as they had to juggle me during peak season. All were charming and I can't say enough kind things about the management and help. Clean. Not overpriced. Well managed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a fireplace. Really sweet.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed February 28, 2012

I stayed here for one night recently and found a dead, recently fed bedbug under the mattress in our suite. I spoke to a staff member who was sweet and apologetic, but really did nothing about it. I was grossed out. I waited for the new owner to a drive and spoke with him about this situation. I was assured that they sprayed once a month for bedbugs. He apologized, offered to buy me a drink at the bar (which I declined - I had other plans), and asked if there was anything i needed. I wanted another room, but they were booked. i refused to sleep on that mattress - so he sent over a pillow, a sheet and a thin blanket that i requested as I informed him I would sleep on the couch. He didn't seem to care one bit. I was hoping he would do the right thing and offer a discount. Not at all. What a shame. Quaint place but needs work. Hardly AAA 4 star.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Silverado, California
Reviewed February 21, 2012

My husband and I were celebrating Valentines the weekend after. Many places right in town were booked, but finally came upon the Villa Royale. After speaking w/Jack, he actually upgraded us to a small Villa (103). It was perfect, though each room is decorated differently. Originally built as a private residence in 1948 it has 2 pools, jacuzzi and fountains and gardens throughout. It is a bit off the main drag, but quiet and peaceful, exactly what I what I had invisioned. I actually stopped by prior to our visit to check it out. The staff were pleasant and even showed me the room ahead of time. There is a restuarant and bar on grounds, so you could actually stay and never have a reason for leaving. Thank you Jack for making it a truly Happy Valentines Day

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
southern california
Reviewed February 17, 2012

I recently spent a weekend with several other friends at the Villa Royale Inn. This was my 4th. visity to the Inn and I was not disappointed; my friends were also delighted with the Inn.. Both Jacob and Jack were extremely helpful in booking our rooms and in helping to keep track of our group. As previous reviewers have stated, the rooms in this boutique hotel are all configured and furnished differently. I enjoyed staying in the courtyard with its own pool which was nicely heated. Since many of us were leaving early for various activities, many in our group requested early breakfast trays and there was no trouble getting those. (Of course we then missed out on the breakfast for that day). We all opted to have a celebratory dinner at Europa and Mark was wonderful in giving us menu choices that suited all. We enjoyed a delicious dinner and had good service. It seemed that the restaurant, the next morning, was full with most guests arriving right at the opening time. As a result, service was a little slow, but it was apparent that the wait staff was working as quickly and efficiently as possible. All in all, I recommend this hotel highly for its ambiance and helpful staff.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank hawk46
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We recently spent four nights at the Villa Royale Inn in Palm Springs. It had always been one of my favorite get-away destinations, when I lived in La Jolla, but we now reside in Kuwait, and we were just visiting. We were able to check in a night early, at 10:30PM, which was lovely, and also able to have the same room we were to have the following night. Room 117 is tucked away in a corner, with it's own wooden gate to it's own small courtyard, which was nice and quiet, and exactly as we had hoped for. Some of the rooms face a larger couryard and/or pool area, and can be a bit noisier. We had a queen bed, with a gas fireplace and a small bathroom, but the room was exactly what we knew it would be. Our friends chose a larger room, king bed, larger courtyard, however, they had a babbling brook outside their window, which they enjoyed, but would have driven me crazy. All-in-all, the lodging was exactly the same as it always was with no disappointment! Maid service very good!

The restaurant, Europa, however, seems to have gone downhill since the sale of the property to a hotel chain. It had formerly been owned by a group of older Hollywood actors, and it was run beautifully. The food in Europa was also first-class, with never a complaint, with a nice group of men waiting tables. This time, however, it appeared that the older, friendlier staff had left and been replaced by younger staff, who either hadn't been trained properly, or just hadn't had any restaurant experience. Not good at all!

Breakfast is included with the price of your room, however, the service was horrible. Once served your cup of coffee, they never seemed to return again to offer a second cup, and never to be seen again.

There is still time to change this back to the way it once was, and we hope that is done before we decide to return again.

The pool looked inviting, however, we didn't have bathing suits with us, but there were some people enjoying it, despite the chill in the air!

Room Tip: 171 for a queen room is nice and secluded and quiet!
1 Thank SaminQ8
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 29, 2012

This place is exactly as advertised: a historic, charming and unique facility just off the beaten path. Each room is different. We stayed in a basic, least-expensive room (303), but even that "basic" room had a spacious, private walled patio. The rooms are clustered around a series of courtyards. Two have pools, one has a fountain, one has a hot tub. It is just a bit outside the center of Palm Springs, but if you don't want to drive you can walk (35 minutes), take a cab (about $10 with tip), or take the frequent and cheap 111 bus. There are dining options within a 5 minute walk, and we thought the on-site Europa restaurant was very good. The decor is reflective of the period, and even our low-end room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The service is the best; Jacob's dining and entertainment suggestions were perfect, and he seemed happy to share them with us. When he didn't have all the information (like about hiking trails), he knew exactly where to get it. We stayed here because our usual hotel was full, but we wouldn't hesitate to come back to this charming, friendly place.

Room Tip: Check them all out--each one is unique.
1 Thank Diane102_12
Southern California
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Villa Royale is just a few hundred yards off of South Palm Canyon (hwy 111) but when you walk in you enter another world. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the large hotels but it is so calming and comfortable. It was just what we were looking for. After we settled into our room (105 highly recommend) we headed out to the pool. Great pool area with a full indoor/outdoor bar that opens directly onto the pool area. The front desk staff, Jack and Jacob, could not have been nicer or more accomodating to our every need. One of the extras you can order is to have rose pedals scattered over the bed before check in. But I talked with Jack and he said he could make it happen while we were at dinner at Europa. When we came back to our room he had the bed folded down, chocolates, and rose pedals scattered. Great service. We stayed there and never left the property. A great place to relax and unwind. We had dinner both nights at the Europa restaurant. It is expensive, but they offer a prix fixed three course dinner. The wait staff was wonderful. I've had better food but it was very very good. Well worth a visit to Europa. The ambience is dynamite. The inn does attract an older group and I wouldn't recommend it for children. Teenages would not care for it. If you're looking for a quiet, charming, European feel, boutique hotel; this place is for you.

Room Tip: Room 105 is poolside and is a very popular room. Specifically request that room. Also, Room 122 is...
1 Thank rainshadowsierra