“it's a special favorite for over 13 years” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Korakia Pensione

Korakia Pensione
Ranked #30 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
San Diego, California
“it's a special favorite for over 13 years”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

this place has held a special place in my heart for many years. I keep going back despite the fact that it has lost it's luster in many regards. For the past couple of years it has been run by a larger corporation taking over small boutique hotels but I am impressed that they have kept its charm, however with the larger $ pockets, they should be able to clean up the place and fix things that have aged over time from original owners. It's the ambiance that keeps me coming back & the wonderful staff that are like family. I've been here so many times and almost every room, I've lost count. Sexy, romantic & sweet are some of the words I would use to describe. Every guest who comes here learns from word of mouth & are thus exceptional quality people in my book! Never met a bad person here YET!

Room Tip: look at their website & photo's..also call ahead & describe what kind of experience you...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KGB1023
korakiapen, General Manager at Korakia Pensione, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thank you for your review! My name is Paulette Monarrez and I have been the General Manager of Korakia for almost 10 years. I worked with the original owner for 4 years and the new owners for almost 6 years. I am afraid you are mistaken about our ownership, Korakia is owned by an individual and not a company. During the time that I have been here I have seen a positive improvement in the hotel all while being incredibly careful as to not damage the "sweetness" of this very special place. We apprciate your business and we look forward to seeing you again soon!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Southern California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

This little gem is the absolute perfect place to rekindle a special romance, cleanse your soul, or just relax and let the pressures of life slip away. It's intimate, and has this magical quality that makes you feel like you belong there. No kids, no tv, no phones. You can curl up on one of the moroccan day beds and read a book. Imagine that, reading a book. My husband and I spent hours floating together in the sparkling pool talking. That's right, talking. What better way to spend a warm desert night, then sitting under a million stars, sharing a bottle of wine, and watching an old movie with your special someone. You can do that at Korakia. At night, the grounds are lit by candles and fires. Very romantic!

I can't say enough good things about the staff. The lovely ladies at Korakia did everything to make our stay wonderful. Each and every one of them truly is lovely. Upon arrival, we were greeted at the gate by one of the ladies. What a great first impression. Under a pink bougainvillea, next to the pool, they served us delicious pancakes with bananas for breakfast, and paninis and salad for lunch. They made sure there was always plenty of ice water with orange slices near the pool (it was about 104 deg). Really, I can't say enough, so I'll say this, ladies, you're fabulous.

As the previous reviewer, we also stayed in the Atlas room. We found it to be charming. The bed was soft and cozy, and the linens were clean, and white, and crips. No, the curtains weren't black out, but I guess I like waking up to the morning sun filtering through the linen and across my pillow.

When it was finally time to leave, we lingered, we took our time, one last dip in the pool. I know heaven on earth exists, we found it at Korakia. Listen up ladies, my husband was the first to say, "when are we going back?"

Room Tip: Look at the room map on their website. You can see pictures of each room and it's location. Th...
Tustin, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

We planned a long weekend in Palm Desert. We usually stay at a Marriott property but decided to try something different. So my friend found the Korakia, her brother said it was amazing and he wouldn't want to stay elsewhere. So we were sold. We were going to stay Thurs-Sun until I was told they are only open Fri-Sun during the summer. So we stayed at the JW Marriott in Palm Desert on Thursday and changed hotels to the Korkoria. The rooms are all different and we had the Atlas room. We were disappointed in the room that it wasn't big enough to have any type of sitting area except for one chair in the corner. Also the shower head barely dripped water out of it so little to no water pressure. Also the shower was so small you couldn't turn around without the shower curtain touching you which I feel is really gross considering it would be touching everyone else too EW! Last but not least the window coverings are not black out curtains so there is no sleeping in. We even hung towels over the curtains but it didn't help much. Their breakfast and lunch was acceptable but there was no selection you get what they are making or nothing. Also it could have been the other patrons that was there with us at the time but they all seemed rather stuck up.

Room Tip: All the rooms are different so definitely check to map to see where you want to be. One have of the...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank gossimer02
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

I almost don't want to review this Hotel, because it's such a special place i just want to keep it all to myself. But, thats not fair to the lovely people at Korakia, so...

This is the most amazing hotel i have ever stayed at. There's actually not one thing that could possibly be suggested to do better or have more of or anything. Every detail is thought of, the beds are perfect, the staff are like magical fairy's granting all your wishes but rarely seen, the grounds are like something out of a dream, i mean, this place is gorgeous. I wish i could afford to live in the Bedoin Suite. Like, live, everyday. How do you keep your pool cool and refreshing in the middle of summer? But yet, it feels warm and cozy on cool nights for midnight swims?? I don't get it! You bring me fruit while i'm laying at the pool, thinking "oh i wish I had some fruit right now", BAM, there it is. I have a bottle of wine and i'm staring at it wondering how i will drink it, BAM a corkscrew, glass and ice bucket appear! This place is unreal. perfect. never change. i love you.

Room Tip: Stay away, it's MINE.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank esheld01
korakiapen, General Manager at Korakia Pensione, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
We appreciate YOU so much!!!! THANK YOU!!!
Orange County, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

I got the Syros room at the last minute for $129, I will base my review on the price. But first, let me begin with some pointers since people are a bit confused and skeptical of this property.

1) This is a SMALL hotel which is closer to being a B & B which means, it has no frills, while equipped with facilities it offers NO extra ammenities or the pampering you would expect at a boutique spa resort because its NOT.

2) While it has bigger grounds and ammenities than my favorite Andalusian Court down the street, again its a group of rooms/mini villas you rent.

3) It is TWO different and SEPARATE properties, meaning, you have to across the street to the Mediterranean villa away from the Moroccan villa which also is the check in. Yes parking sucks, but now you know so work that out with the hotel if its a deal breaker.

4) While I would rate this a true 4 star property, its based on the fact that its a Moroccan/Mediterranean design-white washed walls, understated elegance, attention to detail. So if you are expecting 4-5 star HOTEL ammenities, well, you aren't going to get it.

5) Entire facility is much smaller than advertised, but the grounds are big enough and designed well to give you enough space. But then again, we went during off season and were the only ones at the pool. Obviously, if you are going during peak season know that you will hit a crowd because while designed well its not a very large hotel.

6) They have no TV, no phones, so please, this isn't the place for you if you want the frills of a larger and more luxurious and modern hotel because it isn't. Its a boutique B&B with attention to detail TRULY meant for eclectic artistic souls who want to unwind.

So the pros & cons...

Probably the overall ambiance is its strongest characteristic. Moroccan and Mediterranean architecture and finishes are lovely. Syros room is a regular room that is also its biggest in the group so it didn't feel small but also its not a suite. I enjoyed its patio while not enclosed, I enjoyed the open indoor/outdoor concept, my AC worked great, there is a safe in the room, there is a mini fridge with brita water & cream (honestly in LA, its not as common to get free bottled water so I'm used to it) all my linens were clean, Syros room is simply a simple room and for $129 I thought it was great.

The grounds, lovely. It was clean, no broken glass, again its not a huge property but had enough nooks for you to explore and find your own private spot. Sand and bugs, yes they have them because most of these rooms/villas are designed to be indoor/outdoor space. You can rent bikes for free (all of this is listed in your welcome package) loved the black/white movie at the outdoor theatre. They give you Moroccan tea at one point and yoga class on designated days.

Pool at the Mediterranean villa, LOVED it. You swim by the fire 24 hrs in heated salted slate pool, very exotic.

Breakfast at the courtyard, its free, I don't know what people expected honestly. I was served huevos rancheros and it was very fresh and clean, truly homemade. Plenty to drink, tea, coffee, juice, water, fresh oranges. Maybe because I'm used to hotels, unless you are staying at a business hotel or B&B breakfast is rarely included. For what it was I thought it was sufficient.

We checked in late and were taken to our room right away. I did feel the front desk (oh about that, there isn't one, so now you know. When you walk up the area past the keyhole is it) could've introduced and explained the facility better especially when I introduced ourselves as first timers. I say this because at times we were a bit confused in our room until we eventually figured out some things.

Look, this is a rather small semi-serviced boutique hotel that while it has spa services its not a spa destination. So if that's not what you are looking for, skip this place. But if you are simply wanting to shut off your blackberry and just go for a swim at midnight, read, sleep, unwind, drink at your patio, and ride your freely rented bike along the San Jacinto mountain, for the short time you'll be here you might just think you've transported back to Morocco or the Mediterranean.

Do I recommend it? Absolutely. I think its very romantic and serene and perfect for couples or singles just wanting some sanity. But I think its for a specific crowd and I wouldn't stay during peak-season because its a bit overpriced.

Room Tip: Review all the rooms on the website as they are individually unique. Moroccan villa is closer togeth...
5 Thank cheaptravelbug
Thank you for your review. I am saddened that you did not get to enjoy our added amenities such as; fruit cabobs, ice lavender towels, watermelon smoothies etc. At korakia we believe it is better to surprise our guests then to have every added touch written out.. but because you mention that there are no extra amenities perhaps we should mention the extras.. We have an inroom menu from LeVallauris made exclusively for Korakia for your inroom dining option. For lunch we offer a number of different things such as paninis, salad, hummus plate, cheese plate with fruit that you can get anytime of day. We have complimentary yoga on sundays and complimentary bikes daily. We also offer massages along with a number of different treatments. The number of extra amenities UNIQUE to korakia go on... We truly hope that you come back again and we can show you personally ALL that makes Korakia special!
los angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

I stayed here on business.It was quiet and very relaxing. I thought the staff was excellent.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Ojai, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012

My boyfriend and I were getting out of town for a quiet weekend and were planning to spend our two nights at our usual resort in Palm Desert. After one night of not so quiet we decided to leave town when I remembered Korakia from years past. When we pulled up we were immediately transported to another time and place. The grounds are gorgeous, no kids, and everything was in bloom. We chose our room which was very private, so much in fact that we slept with doors wide open all night and never felt unsafe. We watched an old movie on the yoga platform and walked into town for dinner. We were in heaven!! The next morning we came over to the Moroccan side and had breakfast out on the patio. It was just enough food with really fresh fruit and teas and a cooked plate. The staff is very non intrusive and in fact we never really saw them except by the main office. I love the turn down service as well. Now I'm planning our next stay and will only be coming back to Korakia in the future.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple