“Magical”

Ranked #33 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Sacramento, California
“Magical”
Reviewed September 10, 2011

This place is really cool. I don't really understand the lower ratings and reviews on this place as it really is quite special. It seemed that most places in Palm Springs had a '60's retro feel to them, and this place certainly does not. We stayed in the Thessaly room, which was a good value with a comfy king bed and a good size. We arrived at night and were the only ones on the Greek side for the first night we were there, which made for a magical experience with all the candles and lights and the pool to ourselves in the middle of the night. The staff was all very friendly and helpful. It was very hot while we were there (I think it got up to 113) and the poor little air conditioner had a little trouble keeping up, but we made her work hard. Breakfast was good and fresh. The oranges from the property were so yummy! We would definitely come back here!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.
Reviewed July 17, 2011

The Korakia just about rendered me speechless, which is uncommon. It was that good.

We just returned from a quick overnighter to Korakia, which turned out to be spontaneous and last-minute when it appeared L.A.'s so-called carmageddon would not keep us trapped at home during the weekend of my birthday after all. For a bit of background, I'd had a very taxing and stressful week and I was looking for some serious peace and quiet.

In two hours from home, we got to Korakia, which basically felt like another country for how serene and removed it all was, although it's just off the main drag and walking distance to restaurants and shops on Palm Canyon Drive.

We paid $129 for Atlas, but got an upgrade to Tangier, and it was a complete bargain (though here I guess I should mention that, if I had paid more than $200 for a larger room in the high season, I might have had a different perception of the value). That included two breakfasts the next day, plus Moroccan tea with gingersnaps at 6 pm, and oranges in a bowl. A staffer came to the pool with a tray of popsicles as a nice treat. Also included are bike rentals, games and books in the rooms, and a yoga class in the morning, which I wish I had known about in time to attend. It looked super relaxing.

Also! The Korakia shows classic movies on a wall outside, set in in front of a deck strewn with Moroccan-style candles, decor, and pillows. On an 80-degree starry night, this was such a memorable treat. We watched Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, and my husband and I were mostly alone, except for one couple who joined us partway through. Such serenity.

Walking back from the property where we watched the movie to the other (there are two Korakia properties, one right across the street from the other), we were charmed by the candles, string lights, and fire pits that glowed all around. People sat quietly in small groups drinking beers or playing dominoes. It was cozy and casual like summer camp, only with a chic, upscale (but not fancy or precious) feel. I'm in love and can't wait to go back.

One thing to note: Our room, Tangier, was in the smaller of the two properties. For me this was perfect, as I was looking for restorative quiet. But the other property had a larger pool and more guests, and I think a bocce court—probably the better choice for people looking for a more social environment (though both areas are accessible to all guests, and are so close to one another).

What else can I say? The Korakia had the same ineffable qualities of one of my other most favorite hotels in the whole world: Jake's at Treasure Beach, Jamaica. Colorful, sweet, understated, insider-y, considerate and mindful of its natural surroundings, magical at all times of day.

Room Tip: Atlas is the lowest priced room.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 26, 2011

This is a beautiful place we just happened upon! This hotel has a unique, eclectic vibe which felt artsy, and dream-like. We stayed mid-week -- maybe that was part of it -- but the place seemed completely serene; we felt as though we were going back in time to earlier days in desert. Part of this was not having telephone and television, just marvelous old books to page through while lounging by the salt water pools. I would recommend this spot for artists, poets and anyone else with an aesthetic sensibility. On the evening we were there an artist held a small reception featuring lovely desert landscapes -- we enjoyed having wine and chatting well into the night.

Room Tip: All the rooms looked lovely- recommend Nomad Suite
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BaileyBay
Seattle, Wa
Reviewed February 27, 2011

Kudos to a wonderful staff and beautiful, relaxing place. From the coffee that was ready for consumption by 7:30 to the nice towels awaiting me by the warm, salt water pool, this place is a gem in Palm Springs. Try the Casa Blanca salon if you want a quiet upstairs room. Not that there was any noise to speak of at all during my 3 day stay. The bicycles were so nice to have to explore in the early morning sun. Parking is not a problem, snacks and ice water offered throughout the day. You can enjoy breakfast on the front patio in the warm morning sun and walk to town for dinner. The staff can fill you in on which canyon hikes to take, how to get there and what is happening in town.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
korakiapen, Manager at Korakia Pensione, responded to this review, March 4, 2011
Thank you so much for your great post. We really are greatful that you liked all of the little touches Korakia offers. We look forward to seeing you again soon! In the mean time, follow us on facebook and twitter!
Los Angeles
Reviewed February 11, 2011

Let me start with the positives first- The place does have an easy atmosphere, very relaxing. and quiet. The shower/tub in our room was really unique and I could see in the summer or hotter days/nights where it would be really nice to use. But the negatives far outweighed the positives. First of all they called me that day to make sure we would be arriving. So when we did finally arrive around 3pm the room was bitterly cold. You would think that if they called to confirm, that someone would have checked the room to see if it was warm. The heating system took a few hours for it to warm up the room and is not really one that the directions to use are user friendly. Parking- no designated space for each unit so if you come back late you would find yourself without a parking spot. This is really unbelievable for the amount of money spent per night for a room. Were supposed to have snacks and tea service in the afternoon but never saw them. Overall I would say that for the amount of money per night spent for a place like the Korakia, the service is not in line with the price. The staff was pleasant and nice but I felt did not know the area well enough to recommend the local restaurants or places to go. The only response we got was that restaurant is really expensive, duh, we were paying $359 per night for a room why would we worry about paying lots of money for a nice meal? Perhaps the management could have a simple card with some instructions listing the parking situation, how to operate the air/heating system or better yet since they call you before you arrive ask the client how they would like the room temperature set, hot or cold, know the local restaurants with their menus and also go there to sample the food. Again, not in line with what you pay per night for the level of service you receive. So nice place but the place is not a five star more like a 1 ½ to 2.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank adfproductions
korakiapen, Manager at Korakia Pensione, responded to this review, February 21, 2011
Thank you for your feedback about your stay. We appreciate that you acknowledged our great reviews and we are disappointed that you did not feel the same level of excellent service. Korakia is special and one of the special ingredients about the property is the staff. We recently hired new employees that we are training and perhaps your were caught in between. Please be assured that we have addressed any concerns with the staff and we will continue to better Korakia and the experience that we offer to the guest.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 30, 2010

Just spent two nights in the Bedouin Suite. Korakia was running a December special with discounted rates which made the value of the place even better. Suite was gorgeous and I'd highly recommend booking it: great fireplace, AMAZING stone tub, very comfortable bed, private patio, full kitchen, light and sun-filled. Pool was as hot as a jacuzzi which was perfect given the desert winter chill. Breakfast and daily tea service were delicious and staff was incredibly warm.

We barely left the beautiful compound: played scrabble and drank wine by the fountains and fire pit, lounged in the pool, soaked in our tub and basked in the sun. No phones, no tv(there is wifi) made it a truly different kind of getaway. One we very much appreciated. You can feel totally unplugged.

That said, the Korakia isn't for everyone. It certainly has a laid back, bohemian vibe. So if you're looking for a hands-on, Four Seasons environment & service, look elsewhere. But if you enjoy a Moroccan/Mediterranean, old word feel and an unconventional, free spirit escape, then book a room/suite and enjoy the experience.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Hi,
We really enjoyed having you guys stay with us! We hope that you make it a tradition! Have a great 2011!
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 12, 2010

From the moment I arrived, on a dark December evening, having just got off a flight from rainy, cold Vancover, BC, I loved everything about Korakia. What made it so special? How about swimming in the warm, warm pool at 3:00 in the morning under a clear desert sky filled with stars . . . . having the place virtually to myself . . . . sitting in the sun, eating breakfast and listening to the birds . . . loving the way the buildings, decor and landscaping all fitted perfectly together in a beautiful, rustic, naturally understated way . . . oh yes and the lovely bathroom amenities. For me the ambiance at Korakia made me feel a million miles from the glitz and flash of Palm Spring and the other mall filled desert communities nearby. I'm definitely planning on returning.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
You really painted a great picture! You really get it! Thank you so much for enjoying our sweet little hotel. We hope we see you again soon!