“Uneven experience”

15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 122 helpful votes
“Uneven experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

This review is for the Spa at the Parker Palm Springs . Officially, the spa is called the Palm Springs Yacht Club.

A friend and I came to the Parker to have a girls' day at the Spa. We were not guests of the hotel, but spent the day at the spa.

Overall grade: C
Spa Services: A
Spa Facilities: D-

First Impression:
When you arrive at the hotel, you valet your car and then to get to the spa, you have to walk through the hotel lobby. The lobby was very eclectic and uniquely decorated. Very interesting. The lobby seemed like it would be a cool place to hang out.
The walkway to the spa was a dirt path, but because it had been raining for the better part of 12 hours, the path was very muddy and slippery.
The spa lobby was extremely welcoming, clean and beautiful. We were greeted by the front desk staff and offered a complimentary shot of cucumber-infused vodka.

The good:
I booked an hour long massage and the spa mani/pedi. They were both fantastic. I was totally relaxed during my massage and you can even choose from a music menu for what you'd like to hear during your massage.
The chairs around the indoor saltwater pool were comfortable wooden pool chaises with thick pads on top. The towels provided in the pool area were large, fluffy, and plentiful. The two whirlpools were small, but so warm and nice! The manicure area was small, but it was sufficient for treatment services.

The bad:
I am sad to report that the number of things we were dissatisfied with at the Spa vastly outweighed the number of things we were happy with. If it weren't for the fantastic service I had received, this Spa would have received a 1 or 2 star rating instead of the 3 it ultimately got.

Website - I have to admit, I am absolutely shocked that this Spa has such a poorly designed website for a business that presumably wants to encourage people to come there. The website doesn't have any sort of photo gallery or menu of available services. The only way to find out what services the spa offers is to either call the spa or to attempt to book an online appointment. I chose this spa based on the strength of a personal recommendation. If I had been choosing a spa just based on its website, I wouldn't have ever given this one a thought.

No tour - After we checked in, the front desk staff showed us the changing room and the pool area where the technicians would pick us up for our treatments. We were not shown any other facilities, although apparently there was a steam room and sauna somewhere there. And there is some room directly off the front lobby with floor mats and pillows, but I have no idea what that was because they didn't give us a tour.

Ceiling leak - rainy day meant leaky ceiling on one of the pool chairs. They didn't do anything to catch the water besides putting a towel on the pool chair below the leak. The chair wasn't blocked off and I personally had to stop 2 people from sitting in the chair and getting leaked upon. A second leak dripped water onto a beautiful cabana canopy which then leaked thru onto the hardwood floor. No efforts were made to block off this area of wet floor.

Poorly maintained spa robes - The robe provided for my friend had frayed edges at the sleeve and at the bottom. It also had a large open seam on the inside collar area. She asked the front desk for a replacement robe - and the replacement robe they gave her had a small hole in the robe, frayed edges, and another open seam. The third robe they gave her was fine (for the record my robe was fine from the start - my friend just seemed to have a run of bad luck).

No snacks/drinks - This is the first spa experience I've ever had where the only available complimentary refreshment was water. If we wanted to get something to eat or drink from the on-site hotel restaurant, we had to flag down a staffer or go to the front desk and ask for a server to come to us. Fair warning, if you get your food/drink brought to you in the spa, you have to pay a room service premium. As my friend and I were leaving, we discovered a fruit bowl in the area directly behind the wall at the front desk - something that should have been shown to us during our facility tour when we first arrived.

Shower room - The women's changing room had 2 shower rooms which were of reasonable size, had rain showers, and provided total shower privacy. However, the showers need some work. The rain shower heads in both shower rooms had extensive lime buildup. Additionally, one of the shower room doors had a lot of rust at the base and had chipped paint on the door vent.

Ultimately, the spa services I received were fantastic and I highly recommend them. However, for the price we paid for our services (~$370 for the 3 services I described in this review), the facilities are far below the level I expect. The spa building clearly is in great need of significant repair. This spa gives 5-star service in a 3-star building. I would not recommend this spa solely on the strength on its services unless you don't plan to spend any time relaxing after your treatment.

Visited February 2014
4 Thank tvnewseditor

Vancouver, Canada
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“PSYC Spa underwhelming”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

Did not stay at this hotel, but really wanted to check-out the spa. After an awesome brunch at the hotel's patio bistro, we headed over. Great sense of arrival with a fun nautical theme, but the "experience" kind of ended there. The pre-treatment pool area is indoor and kind of weird. Then the walls in the treatment rooms were not sound-proofed so my massage was noisy from hall traffic. Not-so-relaxing? I mentioned it when paying and the girl sort of stared at me blankly, so I asked to have the spa manager call me. I also wanted to understand why spa patrons can't have access to the outdoor pool area. Most resorts throw that in as a spa value-add...not complicated right? I just found the business card for that spa manager in a desk drawer...reminded me I never did get that call. But it also prompted me to give this review.

2 Thank SusieQpacific
San Francisco/Orange County
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“3.5”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

Liked:
-Molton Brown bath products
-Big comfy robes
-Great deep tissue massage
-Huge music selection for spa treatment
-Access to the PSYC indoor pool is included in the resort fee
-Cucumber vodka was fabulous!

Disliked:
-If you are going to relax, the indoor pool and spa attracted groups of people that were loud and the experience was not at all "spa-like." I generally enjoy relaxation rooms before and after my massage to relax and recharge- the communal pool area shared by hotel guests did not offer that opportunity. There is also a turkish looking room, but it is so dark you can't really read and you can hear everyone entering and exiting the spa as there is only a curtain separating the room from the check-in counter.
-Towels had stains on them
-Only 2 showers in the locker rooms and although I saw staff coming and going, they never seemed to clean the showers between uses

General impression was that I enjoyed by massage, but the overall experinece didn't seem very spa-like.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank TravelGal415
Los Angeles, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Awesome value; great indoor pool to escape the heat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2012

I loved the service & the facilities. The spa also gives discounts on weekdays (please call to double check) and the treatment prices are very reasonable.

I loved the indoor saline water pool, music menu and the option to order food from the indoor pool.

One thing I disliked was the small steam room and hot sauna. Also, it would have been good to have a co-ed area for the hot sauna.

Visited March 2012
2 Thank happy_maggie
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Pure pleasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2011

The Parker Meridien hotel and Spa are one of my favorites. The grounds are beautiful and the staff couldn't be nicer. The Spa is just perfect and the therapists are amazing ( thanks Elizabeth and Aly). Make sure you talk to Mr. John Federbusch, the concierge, he is great and very helpful. Once you are at The Parker you don't want to leave.

2 Thank Edduarte101