“Worth a Visit. Even on a Hot Day”
Review of Palm Canyon

Palm Canyon
Ranked #20 of 120 things to do in Palm Springs
Reviewed July 12, 2011

Hiking in July in the Indian Canyons?! It is well worth it at Palm Canyon. Even if you just walk a mile or so up the canyon, you will be mostly in shade and in awe of the giant palms. During the summer there is only a trickle of water in the canyon, but the setting will not disappoint. The rock formations, the butterflies, dragon flies and frogs are delightful. Bring some water or at least some cash to buy a popsicle or two at the trading post.

2  Thank expat326

Reviewed May 9, 2011

Andreas Canyon, Murray Canyon, and Palm Canyon are all in the same place just a couple of miles south of Palm Springs. You pay $9 per adult and have access to all three canyons (and you have in and out privileges for the day).

Palm is the biggest at 15 miles long. After you pass the toll gate, you drive 3 more miles to get to the top of Palm Canyon. At one point the road narrows and you drive between two huge rocks. From the Trading Post you have a beautiful view of the canyon about 200 feet below. Of course, it's much further to walk down on the switchback trail. I'm recovering from a broken ankle so I admired it from above. We parked near the restrooms (about 100 feet past the Trading Post). From there it's a 350 feet walk up to the little waterfall. I stopped after about 100 feet to wade in the creek.

We went home for lunch then came back to Andreas. At Andreas you can park on either side of the stream and sit in the shade of the palm trees. There is a one-mile loop that is shady half the way and sunny the other half. We didn't see Murray Canyon because you have to hike there from the Andreas parking lot.

Tahquitz Canyon is near downtown Palm Springs and has a separate entrance fee ($13). We didn't visit it, but I heard that it has a nice Visitor Center.

I loved visiting the canyons and there's plenty of shade if you stay near the creek. We didn't see a single piece of litter in the entire park. I credit the Trading Post for not selling junk food. They do have a covered area with picnic tables and a television showing the history of the area.

10  Thank JuliJon2
Reviewed April 10, 2011

On March 8 of this year my two daughters, my Sister and Myself spent the afternoon hiking this breathtaking canyon. About 4:45 PM we walked to our vehicles and were packing up to leave when a young Indian fellow (about twenty-something) slowly rode by us on his ATV. He said something to us that we couldn't make out. As far as we could tell we were the only ones left in the Park. He continued to drive by us leering at us really strangely. We proceeded to get into our cars and about that same time we noticed him at the bottom of the parking lot rearing his engine and spinning his ATV uncontrollably, kicking up a lot of sand and dust. We weren't sure why he was putting on this display but were totally spooked by this time and quickly made our way down the mountain to the gate. Apparently he had gone ahead of us as when we arrived we were treated to the most horrifying terror any of us had ever experienced. He was waiting for us down by the coral where a white horse or donkey/horse was standing. This time he was not alone but had another fellow in a whitish pickup truck with him. They blocked our passage out and began spinning their vehicles in the sand in front and all around us kicking up huge amounts of sand, dust and rocks which were now hitting our vehicles. My Daughter was in her brand new Mercedes Suv and the rocks scratched and dented her vehicle all over. We could not see anything as they kept us encircled in huge clouds of dust. They were at this time yelling and screaming at us in a very threatening manner and continually ran at us with their vehicles stopping at the last moment before hitting us. This terrifying ritual went on for almost 30 minutes and we were all scared out of our wits. It seemed as though these two men wanted to physically harm or kill us. My daughter stepped on the gas and took off down the road and we tried to stay close behind. These men followed us trying to run us down and screaming out their windows the entire time. We were all so shook up when it was over we abandoned our plans to eat and went straight to the safety of home.

We absolutely cannot believe this was an isolated incident and how something like this could be allowed to go on in a National Park. The park was beautiful but we are now absolutely terrified to return. Why were these fellows in the park this late and who were they? The younger man acted as though he might work there. At one point when he was spinning uncontrollably by the parking lot, a park ranger actually walked out to his vehicle, witnessed what was going on, and said nothing!!!!!!!!!!!

We are afraid they are going to kill someone and then the park will have a huge problem continuing to attract tourists and hikers. Something needs to be done about this. I hope by now these men are behind bars or, at the very least, have been banned from this Park. This was an atrocious experience. I am in my 60's, my Sister is in her 50's and my two daughters are in their 40's. None of us would have been a match for these men.

Please do something about this. We had to ldave the State the following morning otherwise would have gone to the Police. We will be following up on this incident but will not be back to the Park unless we can be assured these men are banned from the area. I can't even imagine if they would have approached us in the Park itself while we were on foot. Terrifying, absolutely terrifying!!!!!!!

This report is 100% factual and it is our hope it might save someone's life. Please feel free to contact me about this incident if you have any more questions.

50  Thank sandykay999
Reviewed March 18, 2011

My husband and I did an hour hike in Palm Canyon and were amazed at how lovely it was in the middle of the desert. With the rains, the creek was really flowing, and everything was so green. We also went to the Living Desert which is enjoyable also.

1  Thank dcoak
Reviewed December 27, 2010

We spent 5 hours at the Living Desert Museum. It had beautiful plants that were labeled and lots of birds and butterflies. The African wildlife and bird show were so interesting. We don't normally like these "touristy places" but it was so informative and stunningly beautiful.

1  Thank getonthebusgus