“Beautiful resort”

GreenLeadersGold level
Denver
“Beautiful resort”
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Wow, can't say how much we enjoyed Desert Sun Resort. Grounds and amenities were nothing short of spectacular. Staff was amazing, we will absolutely be back. This is the first "adults only" Nudist resort that we've visited and it was fantastic... no awkward teenage boys gawking at you! We wish all clothing optionals would adopt this policy.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Willie d

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
florida
Reviewed April 7, 2012

We stayed in the 2 Bedroom condo with friends we met on prior nude cruises.The resort is immaculate in every area and very well landscaped.A real plus are the comfortable lounges with excellent large shade umbrellas.We never had to scramble every morning to reserve a spot like the nude cruises.The pools were heated to a wonderful temperature and the hot tubs were perfect as well.The larger bedroom is open to the living room below so that "noisy" people be aware.That bedroom has a superb bathroom with a 2 small person jacuzzi tub. We did enjoy 2 meals at the resort.I would suggest they add breakfast.We also enjoyed 2 great dinners at Trio...even a great early bird. We look forward to many return trips.

Room Tip: Suggest the condo
8 Thank randytravel
Verona NJ
Reviewed March 29, 2012

We enjoyed our trip to Desert Sun resort in mid-March. We are experienced nudists and NOT lifestylers. As others have said the grounds are immaculate and beautiful and the pools are heated. The staff - at all levels - are friendly and helpful. The week we were there it was cooler that usual and the weekend was rainy and unusally cool. So we took advantage of the hot tub - which was a popular place to be. On a couple of evenings we sat by one of the fire pits and enjoyed a glass of wine - again with other guests.

There was a nice crowd while we were there and we talked with many other guests - frequently about other places we had visited and where we had gone the previous day (golf, tennis) or evening (shows, restaurants.) We never saw the slightest bit of any inappropriate behavior while we were there. We stayed in a Villa - which are on one floor and smaller than a condo. They are very nice and comfortable. The have a full kitchen area, table and chairs - near glass doors looking outside - living room area and bedroom. A gas fireplace opens onto the living room and bedroom.

DSR does not allow kids. It has a "couples want a relaxing vacation" crowd. It may be nudist but it is not the place for you if you are looking for "sexy." It has a natural atmosphere - relaxed, casual, friendly - not sexy. There are not many single people. It is not a good place to meet single people. It has a good age distribution from people in their 20s to the retired/"I live here in the winter" crowd.

Room Tip: If you will be there for more than a weekend, consider getting a villa.
12 Thank VeronaNJtraveler
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Wow, what an awesome experience for both my wife and I. This was our first time to visit DSR and our first experience at a nude resort. Our experience was one where we were nervous but really looking forward to a relaxing time in the sun without clothes. My wife and I scheduled a couples massage the first morning and this was a great way to transition to the resort without clothes. The massage was great and we really did not care after that experience. We spent most of our time around the quiet pool since that was why we were there. A few interesting observations, the men walked around freely totally nude and most of the women wore a coverup until they got to there lounge chairs. After the women layed in the sun for a while they were more likely to walk around without the coverups. When we walked around, people would speak but we never felt like people were gaulking or making us feel uncomfortable. The hot tub and fire pit areas were nice to enjoy the evening looking at the stars and visiting with some really nice people.
There were all shapes and sizes of body types and most were closely trimmed or shaved. We stayed three days and each day we were more comfortable without clothes. By the last day my wife bought a sarong in the gift shop and walked around topless to and from the pool. This should speak loudly to those who are considering this location as first timers. Everyone made us feel comfortable without our clothes and we will be back.

16 Thank lovincali
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed March 17, 2012

My wife and i enjoyed our first nudist experience at Desert Sun Resort. Being it was our first time, we were very nervous and did not know what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised! The resort is absolutely beautiful and any fears we had were quickly dissolved by the friendly guests and warm and accommodating staff. This venue is a great place to have your first nudist experience. We met four other couples that were also on their first nude vacation. We enjoyed the non sexual and relaxing atmosphere. There was discussion around the fire pit one evening about the different types of resorts, and all of us agreed that we love this resort because they do not allow kids. I know that my wife would have never come here if there was any chance that she would see a nude child that was not ours. We are purely nudists and enjoy conversing with other adult nudists.

The pools were all heated. We were able to enjoy all three of them. We are not jacuzzi people, so we did not use the Jacuzzies, although they looked very inviting. The resort gave us nice plush towels to use. We were able to exchange them anytime we wanted to .

The room that we had was very comfortable. We rented the smallest room and it was clean and had everything we needed. It was nice to stay at a place where everything seemed to be brand new.

We did use the restaurant for a few meals. The prime rib on Saturday night was excellent and a great value. The food was always delicious. The service could have been a little faster, as they did not look like they were prepared for the big crowd. The resort was very full and we had heard that this place sells out almost every weekend during the spring and summer.

We did not take advantage of the resort's limo service, but we talked to a guest,that had. They said that the limo driver, Jack, was very knowledgeable about the resort and Palm Springs area.

We cannot wait to get back to Desert Sun Resort. We would recommend this for anybody that wants to have a great experience.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Michael S
Texas
Reviewed February 29, 2012

We are first timers, did the day pass thing rather than stay. What an incredible time! More fun than I’ve had in a while.

Plenty has already been said about the beautiful grounds, great staff, etc so I might comment about the gritty stuff I would want to know from a first-timer perspective.

First, my word these people are tan. I have never seen darker Caucasian people. I am fairly pasty-white from setting behind a desk to pay for these vacations. Not a problem, saw several others that were obviously office dwellers also. Most everyone was shaved or closely trimmed. Us too. All shapes and sizes, which was a comfort in that I personally am, well… a “little rotund”. Felt fine with that. My wife had planned on doing the “clothing” part of clothing optional (a thong) but once she saw that everyone else was totally naked she decided she would stand out more with something on than nothing, so off it all went. She was completely comfortable. Seems obvious in retrospect, but when people are setting down you can’t really see much unless you make an effort.

The few people we met were great. We had an enjoyable time conversing about other destinations we had been to. You can engage in as much or as little interaction with others as you wish. I did my homework beforehand and knew that the “lifestyle” deal wasn’t right for us and none of that business was present whatsoever at DSR. In fact, there was another couple that were doing a little horseplay in the pool (nothing sexual) and I noticed them getting a couple dirty looks from the regulars. Point is, you almost don’t want to even touch your spouse for the remote appearance of impropriety. I read a few negative reviews about people wanting kids to be able to come – that would have ruined it for us. I don’t think we would have even gone.

There are The Rules (sit on towels, no gawking, etc) but there also seemed to be some unwritten etiquette also. I would like someone to explain this to me further, but I got the sense you could step out of line as a result of ignorance. I just don’t want to impair anyone else’s enjoyment. I guess everyone has different reasons for wanting to do this sort of thing. One of the fun parts for me was a little of the “I’ll show you mine if you show me yours” aspect. Maybe that reflects the novelty of the first time experience and I’m juvenile in that regard. Anyway, there is looking, as in a glance lasting a second or two – which I assume is acceptable – and then there is gawking as in a protracted stare. The dividing line is pretty clear in my mind, I just don’t know if everyone has the same standard. You can’t help but notice, but maybe you are supposed to quickly look away. I don’t know, I just don’t want to offend anyone.

All considered, excellent day and we would definitely go to DSR again. I’m really thankful that our first experience went so well.

Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
29 Thank Offbottom
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Last weekend my wife and I stayed in a condo at Desert Sun Resort. It was one of the BEST weekends we have ever had there and we have been going there for a few years now (through three ownerships). The Resort is looking better than ever and the facilities and activities were fabulous. We are Nudists, NOT Lifestylers and we find the atmoshpere at DS to be exactly what we are looking for. We are definitely not campers and and like having the amenities. We are pleased that thjere is a no children rule now, as it allows a much better atmosphere for relaxing by the pool or on the lawn reading a book. We are not agains children, in fact we have some of our own, but when we do a weekend get away, we are looking to relax. A few people have voiced concern that "no children" means "swingers". Absolutely NOT, at least not that we have observed in our many weekend stays there. There are plenty of places for swingers to go all over the country, and the rules of conduct at DSR are not conducicve to that lifestyle. There are also plenty of nude/naturist resorts for children to enjoy a naturist vacation all over the country, including several in Southern California.

We find Desert Sun to be the perfect weekend getaway, and a chace to enjoy the weekend "naturally" with excellent facilities, a Resturant with a wonderful chef and super-friendly staff, really fun karaoke nights and dances; this weekend was Mardi Gras theme for both events and it was a great time had by all for both of the nights

There are a lot of different areas on the property to relax quietly, socialize with friends, and if you are so inclined, jump in for a game of naked vollyball. Everyone is always welcome in vollyball and fortunately, no one cares if you are any good:-)! My wife and I have been to many other nudist/naturist/clothing optional places, and some just for a change of pace to compare, but we always keep coming back to DSR. We are both of the opinion that the resort is classier than ever and our weekend experiences are priceless! The owners, the management and the staff are all to be commended on creating such a wonderful experience for guests.

Room Tip: We have stayed in the condos most of the time, because we enjoy having room and sometimes entertaini...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple