“A little dizzy”

and up
Palm Springs and Outlet Shopping Day Trip from Los Angeles
Ranked #1 of 120 things to do in Palm Springs
More attraction details
Owner description: Climb 8,000 feet from the desert to the San Jacinto Mountains, in less than 15 minutes, by tram.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed February 25, 2013

It snowed in the mountains, so when I arrived on the mountaintop, it was 10 degrees, with 8 inches of snow. The tram goes around and around, and it rocks back and forth. So I got motion sickness, and altitude sickness on top of that. It is ok to do this one time, but I would not do it again.

3  Thank CityGirl405
Write a ReviewReviews (7,456)

Reviewed February 25, 2013

What a unique attraction! It's a great way to get a different perspective on the desert and get an appreciation of the topography.

Two hints: go early and bundle up! It was cold at the top in February.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Worlds largest rotating aerial tram - truly unique. Buy your tickets online and aim for the early departures (first is at 10) to avoid the crowds. Really excellent hiking at top. Remember it will be much cooler at the top so dress accordingly.

1  Thank SFtravelbuffs
Reviewed February 25, 2013

It isn't often that you are whisked 8500 feet to the top of a mountain in 10 minutes flat in a swaying cable car with a bunch of strangers. But do it - the views are stunning. Take some warm clothing with you - it is cold up there :) We didn't stay up there for very long - it was more for the experience and for me to challenge my fear of heights :)

1  Thank Rob5252
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We rode the Tram in February 2013. The first day we went there was a cloud cover so we came back another day during our visit to Palm Springs. The parking lot was packed but the wait was only 40 minutes or so. It's a 10 minutes ride with breathtaking views no matter the season. The car slowly spins 2 revolutions during the 10 minutes to give everyone in the car a chance to see everything. There are 5 towers that the car passes over on the way to the top and the car swings a bit over each tower. Otherwise it is smooth. My husband felt nausea from the swinging but since I get carsick pretty easily I already had a scopalomine patch on from the flight to Palm Springs. Glad I did! Everyone in the car had fun making roller coaster gasps over each tower which didn't help my husband's uneasiness. There is a sit-down restaurant and a cafeteria deli at the top, as well as a gift shop. Gift shop items are considerably cheaper at the bottom of the ride than at the top! There is a 30 degree tempurature difference from the bottom to the top so dress accordingly. There was snow on the ground but no wind the day we were there in February. Trails were packed snow that were slick but we maneuvered them in tennis shoes unless you stepped off to the side where it was easily 3"-4" deep! Lots of photo opps. Didn't see any wildlife this time of year. Some people brought snow saucers to slide down the hills and one couple packed a picnic lunch to enjoy on one of the rock overlooks. I did not see any picnic tables or bathrooms once we started the hike.

3  Thank Hot4Playa