“I LOVE this place!”

Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Savannah, Georgia
“I LOVE this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2007

My family and I spent a long weekend at New Years at C.I. Palm Desert and fell in love. In fact, we booked our week-long summer vacation there within two days of getting home from that trip. Let me say first that we are Club Intrawest Members. Yes, we have an ownership stake in the property. but that doesn't mean we have to like everything about it...but we most definitely do. The property is impeccably manicured. There are always workers making sure that it looks perfect all the time. The units (last time we had a ground floor one bedroom, this time the 1BR Terrace). Both are of adequate size for us and our 5 year old. The 1BR terrace doesn't have an indoor dining room. Instead it is outside (which can make having lunch in 100 degree temps a pain) but at night, its nice to sit out there. The decor is classic Club Intrawest. What you see in the pics is what it is. Classic desert adobe splashed with color EVERYWHERE. We happen to love the decor. Those who dont....well...won't.
Since we had a 5 year old, they put us in a building near the "Family Pool" which was nice. There were other kids in the pool on any given day for our daughter to play with. At the same time, I liked the fact that if we were to return without our daughter, an effort would be made to book us a room near the "adult pool". A little more peace and quiet for couples.
Things to do? I think this is my BIGGEST attraction to this resort. While the Palm Springs/Palm Desert/Rancho Mirage area will leave you desperate for "hardcore" nightlife, there is still plenty to do. about a 10 minute drive from C.I. is a place called "The River" its an outdoor shopping pavillion similar to The Grove in Los Angeles. Theres a Cheesecake Factory, Flemings Steakhouse, Movie Theatre, Johnny Rockets, Borders books and the Yardhouse. An upscale, plasma TV everywhere, sportsbar. Great for a nice dinner or beers and apps for a game. Also within 1 mile of that Mall is practically all of the restaurants you'll ever need. PF changs, Roys, etc.....
This time around I played golf at Desert Willow. Perfect, beautifully maintained and a joy. I can't wait to play it again.
Overall, I thought that area of California was going to be a sleepy, retiree laden area with nothing to do but swim in a pool and sleep. While you can certainly do that if you so choose, there are several very, very nice spas very close by, dozens of golf courses and enough nightlife to keep me happy (especially when you've got a 7am tee time). We cant wait to go back.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — nothing really
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank tvcane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Richmond,Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2007

We just returned from a week at Club Intrawest Palm Desert. My husband and I traded our timeshare week for this stay and were dissappointed to say the least. We grabbed the studio size room since it looked so nice on the website and told how difficult to get to stay here, but were shocked to see how tiny the living area was and how much we felt we were in a cave after a day or two. There were only two wicker chairs for seating and these were uncomfortable so we ended up sitting on the bed. The only closet had a child size dresser with three small drawers,not enough for half of one person"s clothes so we left our clothes in the suitcases and rummaged for them each day.(what a pain) The decor could be nice,but the concrete floor stamped to look like tile gets old after awhile,and the lone 2'x4'rug was extremely soiled. The only place to eat or put a glass on was a small bistro table for the wicker chairs. I could stand all of this if need be,but the thing that made it worse were the paper thin walls-we heard every door close,slam, on one side and iron chairs dragging across the floor and every step and stomp made over us. A cricket behind the college refrigerator chirped constanly everynight trying to drown out the noises from the neighbors.The pools were nice,the golf course ,Desert Willow next to ,but separate,wonderful and scenic, and staff helpful and friendly, There is a spa we didn"t use and the contact recommended in tour guide there never called me back to set up trip after stating he would . The final bad news was not getting a wake-up call from reception to leave early on final day. Thankfully we spent our last 3 days at Marriott Shadow Ridge,which is like going from the basement to the Penthouse. We felt that we spent considerable time and money to fly from the east coast to be treated this way,especilly staying at a resort classified as Gold Crown. I don't think so.. I spoke to others residents who said they had paper thin walls on first floor too,so be warned.

• Liked — The golf course and views of it,the mallard ducks coming up to patios and hummingbirds,the friendly staff
  • Disliked — The room size and lack of space for clothing and comfortablefurniture dirty rug and noise
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank doodietogo
Laguna Niguel, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2007

My husband and I were at Club Intrawest June 10th - 17th, 2007. The warmest temperature during our stay was 110. We had a one bedroom, end unit patio villa and out door shower. This was our 5th trip to Palm Desert, but our 4th stay at Club Intrawest. This is by far our favorite place to stay and our favorite unit so far.

The décor includes painted concrete floors throughout (no carpeting – it’s a good thing in desert), bright colors and rustic furniture. The kitchen features a refrigerator, freezer and separate ice maker (in the summer we go thru a lot of ice) and the unit is well stocked with utensils, pots and pans.

Regarding the décor, I recall, on my first visit to this resort, it took me a few days to get acclimated to the décor, I wasn’t quite sure I liked it. The décor has since grown on me and we both prefer Club Intrawest to the Marriott next door.

We’ve experienced friendly and prompt service at the reception and when we’ve called for minor service. Reception calls after a service call to follow up on the service call and confirm that we were satisfied. That’s a nice touch.

Club Intrawest does offer free wireless internet service, signal was good in the morning and early afternoon and very weak by 5 p.m. Ask reception for the logon information when you check-in.

The pool located near our unit was adult only. We had the pool to ourselves in the evening.

We’re not golfers, but we enjoy having breakfast on the patio at the Desert Willow Golf Resort located adjacent to the resort. The Grill at Desert Willow is open daily for breakfast and lunch ~ June-September Fri-Sun. The bar is inviting too

One evening we had dinner at Haleiwa Joes (a former Charthouse Restaurant) off of 111 between Frank Sinatra Drive and Country Club. Happy hour menu includes half price pupus, try the coconut shrimp, and live Hawaiian music on Friday and Saturday.

We visit Palm Desert once or twice a year for a low key get away.

• Liked — The out door shower
  • Disliked — Not a major issue, but paid for an additional towels - $8
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LagunaLizzy
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2007

We are lucky to own timeshare at Club Intrawest and this was our 2nd visit to Palm Desert. I have owned timeshare for over 25 years and been lucky enough to travel around the world quite a bit during that time and Intrawest Palm Desert is truly my favourite place on Earth. The Staff are friendly and eager to help, the units are fabulous and very well maintained and the grounds are beautiful with the most amazing Sunsets (second only to African ones) I have never know a more tranquil spot. I dont think its a great place if you like lots of organised activities, there are none. Its perfectly situated for everything that happens in the area and its really easy to get around. Ralphs on the corner of Cook and Country Club is the best Supermarket in the World. One stop shopping and really friendly staff.

• Liked — Views
  • Disliked — my short stay
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
4 Thank superstyler
Mission Viejo,CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2007

We have been Club Intrawest members for three years and the Palm Desert Club is one of the reasons we joined.

We are fortunate to go about four times a year and we absolutely love the resort. Sure, there are times we are looking for a ritzy atmosphere on vacation (and the Marriott across the street would fit that bill) but we love this resort in the desert specifically for its low-key and relaxing feel.

Our favorite room is the 1 bedroom terrace with its expansive balcony with fireplace, and table and chairs. If we are bringing guests, the downstairs 2 bedroom suites (a 1 bedroom unit plus a studio) are gorgeous with their own patios-again with fireplace and table and chairs. Every room looks toward the pool and spa and the golf course. There are separate family and adult areas/pools. Each 1 and 2 bedroom unit has a full kitchen and almost everything you could think of is included. There is also a BBQ by the pool areas. There is a Ralph's shopping center within walking distance. For a fee, the Club will stock your room ahead of time; just email your grocery list.

The resort has its own theatre (for DVD's) and video game room.
The nearby golf course has great breakfasts and lunches, while the shopping/restaurant area of El Paseo is nearby.

If you are young and/or looking to party, then I would suggest the Marriott or rather, Palm Spings, which has much more nightlife.

If you're looking for a place to swim or golf and relax with your family or friends or even a romantic getaway, then I heartily recommend Club Intrawest.

• Liked — Beautiful location;full kitchens
  • Disliked — no nightlife
  • Tips/Secrets — bring your own DVD's for the theater
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
8 Thank jwthere4u
Southern Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2006

We stayed in a one bedroom, fairly large condo that thankfully had good air conditioning. Not all of the guests were as lucky. Few guests the week we were there. It was 112-119 the entire week. The water in the pool was very warm and by evening attracted lots of bugs and hummingbirds.

There are tennis courts and golf on the property but it was so hot! There were no activities going on at the resort. Very boring. We left during the middle of the week to visit San Diego and get a break from the heat.

This might be a good place to visit if the weather is good for swimming. Pricey for a bed and a refrigerator. You need to leave the property to find any activities.

2 Thank Bingo47
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2005

Our family spent the week of the July 4th at Club Intrawest, and had a very pleasant experience. The rooms and grounds were very clean and the staff was very helpful. The rooms included an outdoor shower and fireplace, a large living area with queen sized sofa bed, 2 TV's, and top notch appliances.
We enjoyed the on-site movie theatre, work-out facility, free game room and pools during our stay. I would highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed July 2005
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

Been to Embarc Palm Desert? Share your experiences!