“Worst breakfast in the US”

Courtyard Palm Desert
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Palm Desert
Reviewed December 27, 2010

We have stayed here on a few occasions but this time Marriott seem to be trying to cut corners to save money..hardly any staff...one bar of soap for a room with a spa bath wash basin and shower
The breakfast has to the worst w have had in the U S...come on Marriott if you want return business don't skimp

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank Davidgolfer

Reviewed December 6, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times over the past 5-years and it is ALWAYS great...Service, location, cleanliness...If I have to go to Palm Desert whether for business or leisure, this hotel is my first choice.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank DK4Tennis
Reviewed December 1, 2010

This hotel is so far off the mark for a Marriott Courtyard I can't believe it.

The pillows and linens seem like they were ridden hard and put up wet. I meant to send one of the pillow cases to Marriott corporate but I forgot to set it aside and they changed it out before I got back. It had pills all over it. I didn't want to let my head touch it. I haven't had such a bad room since I stayed at a motel 6 about 15 years back. It's too bad as I stay at Marriott Courtyard properties with some frequency.

No wireless in the room.

Noisy on Frank Sinatra Drive frontage (side rooms also).

Shame on this property. I can't believe that others gave this such a good review.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank h20skiguy
Reviewed November 4, 2010

Bidded on priceline for 1 night and ended up here, liked it so much that I decided to stay another night.

The location was excellent and easy to find. The staff at the front was very nice and professional. Wasn't expecting too much since I got the room through Priceline, but I was pretty much given any and all preferences I wanted (floor, king or queen, etc) and was given and excellent corner suite on the 3rd floor.

The room itself was very clean, pretty good in terms of size and had a balcony with a very nice view of the mountains! Only little thing I didn't like was that the sink was outside the actual bathroom. I was told that wireless internet was only available in the lobby but I was able to pick it up from my room, didn't mind using my laptop from the desk in the room so I was fine using the wired internet, the speed of it was pretty good, easily the fastest internet speed I've ever gotten from a property where it was free.

The only reasons I'm not giving this a review a full 5 outta 5 is because there is no microwaves or mini fridges in the room and at one point my room keys stopped working altho I was able to go downstairs and get this resolved in under a minute.

Excellent property and excellent stay and I will definitely return when the chance comes!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed September 21, 2010

My husband and I came to your hotel in 2009 for our first weekend away together. Almost a year from our visit, we returned to your hotel for our pre-honeymoon! When we came in 2009, our first room had a cricket and when we asked to be relocated you graciously moved us to a new room - which had a broken air conditioner. We didn't complain about it at the time because we really wanted to get to sleep. Needless to say, we didn't return to your hotel because of past experiences, but because it was sentimental to us. This time I booked us the whirlpool room for the additional charge, hoping that it would be big enough for the two of us to share, but knowing that past experience with hotels in general has shown that "Whirlpool Tub" usually means a standard tub with jets. You never know how your room is actually going to turn out based on the hotel descriptions... However, as soon as I saw our GIANT whirlpool tub I jumped into the air with excitement. It was beyond my expectations. Other room details that surpassed expectations: Bed Comfort, Bed Linens and Pillows, free easy to use in-room internet, towels at the pool & enough pool chairs and lounges for all guests even with an entire wedding party attempting to take over...

In addition, I would like you to know that your staff is amazing! The young woman working the desk when we arrived late on Friday night was very friendly. She checked us in smoothly, congratulated us (based on the honeymoon note I made when booking), and informed us of the shift change that would be happening shortly should we need anything. The next morning we went to breakfast in the hotel since it was free and we were overwhelmed by the service and food options. It really felt like we were in a restaurant by the way we were taken care of by the young woman on staff there. She informed us of an open table, but since we were in our little romance bubble we asked if it would be ok to sit away from the rest of the guest at a table by the window. She said that would be perfectly fine and set us up with coffee at the table we wanted. On the way back to the room after breakfast, we were greeted by 3 different hotel personnel. We prefer not to have room service when ever we stay for a weekend, so although our room had the do-not-disturb tag on the handle, the woman cleaning the room across the way saw us in the hall and asked if we would like a couple of clean towels.

I probably would have chosen a different room location, had I been the one planning a room for honeymooners. We were placed right next to a room of small children - we could hear them playing. Lucky for us, we don't mind kids. In addition, the walls must have been pretty well insulated because we could only vaguely hear them. But in general, it's probably not a good idea to book a honeymooning couple and a family with kids in adjacent rooms.

Really, the room location was my only complaint - and it's only a half complaint because I'm saying something on behalf of other guest that might be more sensitive to kids than we were. I have seen other online reviews where people mentioned the lack of a microwave and refrigerator, which I guess could be a problem for long term stays. In addition, I've seen some things about the hotel being "old", "rundown", or "dirty" - SO NOT TRUE. I didn't walk around with a white glove or anything, but it felt very clean to me and it's wasn't out of date in 2009 or this last trip.

Honestly, the hotel is a fair distance away from the nightlife, and without a transportation option (other than expensive taxies) we have talked about staying in a hotel closer to other activities when we return next year. But then again, we had such a great experience this time it might be ok to spend the money we save by staying with you on a taxi to get to the nightlife. After all, the Palm Dessert Courtyard Marriott is more than a hotel to us now - it's where our relationship started, and where we celebrated our first weekend as a married couple.

(and that whirlpool tub really is amazing!)

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2010

We stayed one night at Courtyard Palm Desert on our way between Las Vegas to San Diego. We arrived in the middle of a sand storm. So we were glad that the hotel was situated right next to Applebees! It was a nice welcome since we didn't need to find dinner in a sand storm.

The rooms were a little tight but good comfortable beds, nice big tv and free cabled broadband internet. There was no microwave but we could use the one at the front desk - which was actually in the staff's office.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 4, 2010

We were more than satisfied with this hotel. Although we booked through priceline at a very attractive rate, we were greeted friendly and were given a spacious double/double with mountain-view. The room was super clean, almost brand-new with comfortable beds. A huge flat-screen, coffee-maker and free wireless internet were some of the amenities. We travel a lot and Courtyard means for us guaranteed satisfaction! We thank the whole staff at Courtyard Palm Desert and will recommend this hotel to our friends!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family