“4-yo loved the spa suite and the pool, but super basic to mom for price”

Courtyard Palm Desert
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
San Francisco
“4-yo loved the spa suite and the pool, but super basic to mom for price”
Reviewed November 3, 2009

Stayed here for a weekend because of a concert in Indio. The hotel was quiet, basic. We stayed in one of the spa suites, which has a whirlpool hot tub in your hotel room. My 4 year old loved this and wanted to live in there while watching PBS kids. So it was novel. There are 2 hot tubs outside, which both have the little seat/"train track" that my daughter loved walking around. The pool is small and an odd shape that makes doing laps impossible, but is nice for kids who want to splash around. The breakfast was basic--had the same breakfast a day later at a Fairfield for free, but it was $25 at the Courtyard. Marketplace was fine but basic. Front desk staff were physically present but not particularly helpful or friendly. They were unable to retrieve a forgotten item a few hours after it was left behind in the hotel room and have not contacted me to forward it. The location is really basic, it's in like the equivalent of a business park behind an Applebee's. They have a no-party policy that everyone signs when they arrive, so it did stay really quiet, which was nice. I'll probably never have a reason to visit Palm Desert again in my lifetime, but if I did, I'd try out a different hotel. Not bad, just very very basic, particularly for the price, and everything looks kind of shabby. I would recommend it as a safe and basically fine place to stay, however. But not a "try this place, it's so great" recommendation. Oh yes, and the internet is wired and EXTREMELY slow--like, modem slow--which was annoying because I couldn't work in the bed or at the pool or anyplace, and I kind of expected that here. The internet was SO slow that it did force me to read a magazine, so it was an accidental perk.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
MAGALIA
Reviewed August 15, 2009

The older generation of Marriott's Courtyard hotels is coming close to a point of deterioration that unables them to compete with newer hotels. On this trip we stayed at three different Courtyards in Roseville, Bakersfield and Palm Desert and must say that we were not satisfied with any of them. By far the worst was the Courtyard in Palm Desert which shows signs of neglect everywhere you look. The room furniture is old and chipped, the TV set is still one of the old bulky ones with bad reception and performance. Mattresses need replacement. The A/C unit tried desperately to fight with the outside heat and finally gave up working. After waiting for repair for quite some time, we had to leave the room because it reached outside temperature. While parts of the unit were replaced we waited in the lobby. Cleanliness left much to be desired: There were areas of our room that obviously had not been cleaned for ages.

It is too bad that Marriott allows hotels like this one to decline to a level that makes them totally undesirable. They concentrate on their upscale timeshare developments and don't pay attention to most of their other properties in the desert. Last year we stayed at a Fairfield Inn in Palm Desert that was not much better than this Courtyard.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Buddy-Bear
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed July 27, 2009

A basic stay with a comfortable bed and good service. The swimming pool is nice and there are lots of towels in the cart on the pool deck. The free internet is not wireless and is not the fastest I have seen, but it worked and was easy. Easy to find and convienient to I-10
Seemed like a good value, but it was summer and most places were to be had for a discount.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Temple City, California
Reviewed June 25, 2009

Day 1 – (06.23.09):
Arriving with my girlfriend at the hotel, the Courtyard Marriott, the temperature was well in the mid 90s. The hotel greeted with a welcoming front clerk. Check-in lasted a whole four minutes. After dropping off our stuff in the room, we headed to the Rancho Mirage, which is a shopping center with restaurants such as Cheesecake Factory and P.F. Chang’s. Because of the hot weather, I got a cone of Chunk Monkey from Ben & Jerry’s. Then we found an air conditioned Borders to relax and read in. After getting ready, we headed for my 7pm reservation at Cliffhouse. We had a $100 gift certificate that we won in a basketball shooting contest. We started off with 2 appetizers, crispy Calamari with jalapeño dipping sauce and Corn Fritters “Oscar Style.” The calamari was tender and not like other calamari you would find at places such as Yardhouse. The Corn Fritters, which consisted of blue crab, asparagus, and béarnaise, were small but delicious. I also ordered the Fischerman’s Chowder, which tasted like any other clam chowder but had an extraordinary spice to it. For the entrees, my girlfriend ordered the Filet Mignon, which was cooked to medium rare and was super tender. It came with mashed potatoes as well as green beans. I ordered the special, which was the Halibut. It included rice and green beans. The total bill came out to $92, so I guess we did a pretty good job of getting close to $100 without going over. Also, I do not suggest going to this place unless you are willing to spend a hefty dollar because I know that I will not be going back unless I get another certificate. After dinner, we headed to Ralph’s to get drinks and snacks for the hotel. That pretty much concluded our night as we just lounged in the hotel relaxing.

Day 2 – (06.24.09):
We checked out at noon, and headed towards Goody’s. Goody’s is a diner by the 10 freeway. I got the breakfast burrito, which included eggs, hash browns, sausage, ham, and cheese. It also comes with bacon, but I’m not too much of a bacon lover. It was around five dollars, the burrito itself was huge; so huge that I couldn’t finish it in one sitting. My girlfriend got the taquitos, which included guacamole, cheese, lettuce, and tomatoes. It was around four dollars. Goody’s diner has breakfast food as well as burgers and fries. All the TV’s they had in there were all HDTVs, which is a major bonus if you want to catch in important game. After eating, we headed home from a great one-day-getaway.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Grand Junction, Colorado
Reviewed May 26, 2009

My wife and I spent a long holiday weekend in the Palm Springs/Palm Desert area, and we used this Courtyard as a base(essentially just a place to sleep) In any event, the only problem was walls that allow more sound than the normal Marriott or even Courtyard property.... If you are a light sleeper and have neighbors who play the TV, talk on the phone or just talk loud in the middle of the night(we had all 3) you may have a problem.
Otherwise, all was clean, property was very easy to find from I-10, King suite was spacious and nice.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
California
Reviewed March 20, 2009

After an awful experience at a Best Western, this hotel was a relief! The bed and pillows were clean and fluffy. The airconditioning works and you have the control over the temperature! We have returned to this place several times on business. It's not too far from the freeway, close enough to fast food places, and walking distance to the university. Staff members were great except one at the front desk who said the hotel was booked for the next week. And when I got home, I booked a room for the next week online with no problem. So people like that ought to keep their mouth shut. Other than that, it's a great place!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
VA
Reviewed January 17, 2008

A nice enough place to stay for a couple of days. The room wasn't too big, but it was certainly very clean. The wired Internet access was dependable and made it easy to do business. The location is also convenient -- about 3 minutes from I-10, but without the highway noise.

Unfortunately, there's noise from next door, because the walls are made of tissue paper. Light sleepers will need to keep the fan on to drown out the TV next door, the people in the hall, etc.

A fridge in the room would've been a big plus in the desert. Instead, I kept my water bottles (bought for way less than the $2.50 they want for those warm in-room bottles) in ice.

I'd never been to the Palm Springs area before, and it appears $180 is the norm this time of year. If you have to go for business, as I did, I guess you have to pay. But, really, if you're just looking to go to the desert to golf or lie by the pool, your money will go farther in Vegas, a town which also has much more personality.

• Liked — Very clean rooms.
  • Disliked — Thin walls that allow you to hear everything next door (and they're hearing you, too).
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)