“Friendly staff - poor building”

Courtyard Palm Desert
Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I don't usually post reviews this low. And, if I would only be rating the employees I would give this hotel a 4. But, it is the quality of the hotel itself that is the problem. I noticed that other reviewers have said that the AC was noisy, etc. What an understatement! This hotel has antiquated HVAC systems. When I checked in on a Monday evening the fan in my room was very noisy and the room temperature was 75. I assumed that if I turned down the temperature, went to dinner and came back, the room would be at the temperature I set. Not the case. The fan blew all night without shutting off and the lowest the temperature achieved was 73. I complained in the morning and asked for the problem to be fixed. That next night I returned to the hotel and it sounded like a jet engine was blowing in my room. The room was cool but it was impossible to sleep, watch TV, work, etc. I ended up turning off the HVAC and once again it was 73 degrees in the room in short order. I asked again in the morning for the cooling to be fixed. This time they switched out the entire window unit and it did work better, but still noisy. I spoke with management and understand that the decision has been made to not invest the dollars required to bring the rooms up to speed. If you stay at this hotel, I would recommend you go to your room immediately at check in and determine the coolness and sound level of the HVAC in your room. Some of the rooms are more tolerable than others. As I mentioned, the staff is very nice and will try to accommodate you. They are simply working with systems that are under the expected standards of business or leisure travelers.
Also to note, wireless internet is not available in the rooms. The website says there is wireless internet but wireless is only available in the lobby.
You should also note that cell phone signals are poor here. That is not the fault of the hotel, but it adds to the problems you will experience.

Room Tip: Go to your room immediately at check in and determine if the HVAC system is working and what the noi...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank japdx
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Dear Japdx, first allow me to apologize for your recent experience at our Courtyard with our A/C and thank you for your comments about our staff. Since your stay in May we have outfitted another 53 rooms with brand new A/C units which certainly cool the rooms much better than 75 degrees and puts the hotel at 2/3rds complete. More good news is we will be installing wireless internet in all of our guestrooms this month so you will be able to use your IPAD everywhere. You may even want to use it in our brand new lobby where this summer we will be transforming our lobby and restaurant into an exciting Bistro called Courtyards Refreshing Business Experience, with a grand reopening in November offering a wonderful new food and Starbucks menu. Your cell service comment continues to be a challenging objection for our corner in North Palm Desert and I wish I had an answer, stay tuned on that one. Again, thank you so much for choosing our hotel and trust you will give us another opportunity to serve you after our make over.

Keep your comments coming,

Jim Zeltner, General Manager

Jim Zeltner, General Manager

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Palm Desert

Reviewed April 5, 2012

hotel was clean and quite. Had an on site resturant. Close to many things. Room was good , but could use a little updating. Staff was friendly and helpful.A/C fan ran all the time couldn't shut it off, noisy.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cris8143
ctdcygm, General Manager at Courtyard Palm Desert, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Dear Cris8143, thank you for taking the time to share your experience about our hotel and thank you your nice comments about our staff. I would like to address the A/C and to let you know we have since replaced 53 of our old units with new LG units which keep up with your personal conditioned needs and are as quiet as you can get a wall unit. We are also preparing for a lobby renovation and installing wireless in every guestroom. We hope to see you again when you travels bring you to our desert or just passing through.

Thank you again for your posting.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

We headed to Palm Desert for a long weekend to escape the Pacific Northwest weather for a few days and stayed at the Marriott Courtyard in Palm Desert. It's a satisfactory hotel, but I think a bit expensive for what you get. It's a very basic room, no views to speak of and you have to have a car. The plus side, it's close to I-10. The hotel is not walking distance to anything except an Applebees Restaurant. As with most Marriott's, the staff is very helpful and customer service friendly. The buffet breakfast is better than average, but kind of expensive unless it's included in your room cost. I was disappointed with the "mini-store" in the lobby. Since there is nothing nearby it would be nice to see a greater variety of choices. They only had one computer station in the business area and I had to check back a couple times to find it free. The outdoor pool and hot tub looked nice, but it was a bit too chilly for me to use the pool this trip. I usually stay at Marriott hotels and found this one just ok for the cost.

Room Tip: We had a corner room, facing south east, which was nice for getting fresh air and sunshine into the...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 18, 2012

My visit to this hotel was the last week of January and the first week of February 2012. Room was clean, front desk was efficient, helpful, friendly, and the spa was clean and relaxing. What more can you ask for when you are on business? The hotel is also very close to the 10 freeway! The mountains in the morning are gorgeous!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 14, 2012

Cell phones do not work AT ALL within the hotel. SLOW SLOW SLOW wired internet only in rooms. Hardly any electrical outlets in the room.

Broken, uncomfortable desk chair in room. I checked out after one night and went to a competitor.

Room Tip: Connectivity is important to me. I don't like my cell phone not working in the hotel when I trav...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank mtmurat

Dear mtmurat, your posting resonates many views out there about our internet service and I can't agree more. As of today, 7/24 we have our in room WiFi up and running so you will be able to stay connected in the comfort of your guestroom and continue to do business. Its comments like yours which help us prioritize the needs of our hotel and hope you will come back when your travels bring you back to our desert.

Thank you again for your posting.

Reviewed February 13, 2012

I stayed here for my best friend's wedding. I did not want to leave. As a first timer to California, this was the best way to visit. Beautiful hotel, amazing view when you wake up in the morning. Staff was great and there are a lot of stores and restaurants within short driving distance. Applebee's right next door.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 7, 2012

i have stayed at this property since it was new.it is still very clean and has been updated.excellent service and good location

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo