“Good experience overal; key improvemtns needed however to give it a better rating”

Courtyard Palm Desert
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Palm Desert
Reviewed August 20, 2011

Overall, a good experience with a few critical problems listed below; a few key improvements however could make this a flagship Marriott property .

Positives
I stayed 5 nights and the front desk staff during check in could not have been more friendly and helpful with suggestions for dining and local attractions. Hats off to Nicole especially who really was helpful in extending my stay and was also very friendly and courteous
Housekeeping
Responsive, kind, hardworking staff that went the extra mile to clean my room and provide extra towels and pillows (Marriott’s feather pillows are WONDERFUL!!) Flor, Beto, Dahlia and Oliva really made my room stay even more comfortable. Thank you!
Room 334 is a great King size room with an excellent view of the pool and surrounding mountains. Large balcony for relaxing with a cup of tea or wine ! Unfortunately, there are many people who use the balconies for smoking; Marriott prohibits smoking on the property except in a single designated area near the pool; however people still do and it blows into your balcony area while trying to relax outside.
Negatives
Unfortunately, the night shift (auditors) were not very attentive to customer service/answering the phone (I finally gave up Wed night after no one answered after waiting and calling back several times to make a wakeup call. When I called my last day at 6 a.m. and asked for a 1:30 p.m. Late checkout as a Marriott Rewards member benefit. Allisha (sp?) tersely stated “1 o’clock is the latest” and I said fine and hung up. A few minutes later she called back and said the log books would allow it this one time (?) and hung up. (The hotel is not at capacity this time of year due to the hot summer season) I relegated her rudeness to poor customer service skills/training and have written a follow-up as well to Marriott customer relations. Also while checking out, I observed a front desk clerk berating and harassing a guest for making a suggestion about better customer relations. The clerk (Michael) yelled at the guest and told him not to question him and lighten up. When the guest asked for the mgr, the clerk yelled. “He’s not here”!! I advised the gentleman to contact guest relations immediately and report the incident.
Internet bandwidth is completely unacceptable (10 Mb LAN and no wireless access in the rooms!!) in this day and age of media rich websites and VPN access.. Authenticating to my VPN was an complete exercise in futility. As a hotel that caters to business professionals, additional bandwidth in the rooms should be an immediate priority.
Air Conditioning
Palm Desert is very warm this time of year (110 degree temps are normal) and an air conditioned room is not optional. The units in the rooms unfortunately are prone to “icing up” in the air intake vents which shuts down the unit even with the thermostat set at 72. Although maintenance was responsive to “deicing”, it occurred multiple times during my stay and I had to remove the cover of the unit to allow it to “thaw”. Very frustrating as well as difficult to keep the temp at a comfortable level. Hopefully, mgmt will recognize these issues and turn this into a great place to stay again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 16, 2011

I spent three night at the Courtyard Marriott Palm Desert and was very please with quality of the hotel and service provide. My room was of a very nice quality, air conditioning was very good, furniture was of a very nice quality (the bed was great) and I had a huge TV to boot (I'm guessing it's about a 46" model). The employees were very nice and professional and they help me out a couple times on little problems I had.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone stay in the immediate area of Palm Desert.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 14, 2011

This hotel was a superb choice; it was modern, clean, and quiet . . . and I slept well. While I did not use them, the amenities were nice - a large guest laundry room, business center, fitness center, spacious but not overdone lobby, pool with a "desert palm oasis" look and feel. Good value too at $89 booked through the hotel website for a Friday night stay (and that's not the AARP rate or any other special rate), though I imagine it's more expensive during the winter than in the brutally hot month of August.

Minor complaints, but will nonetheless grant a 5-star rating because these really aren't a big deal:
(1) Upon arrival, there was nobody at the front desk. I did the "hello, hello?" thing but nobody within earshot. So I had a seat in the lobby and a few minutes later, someone came. I understand that sometimes there is only one person on duty and he or she may need to answer nature's call, but maybe they could have a "be back in a minute" sign or something . . . or have self-check-in kiosks. But you'd think at 6:30 PM (a time when one might presume a fair amount of check-in activity) there would be at least two people working the front desk.
(2) This may seem a strange complaint, but the TV in the room was too big. TV sets shoudl be properly proportioned for the size of a room. Remember when mom said sitting too close to the TV was a bad thing?
(3) It is annoying that you cannot depart the hotel property directly to westbound Frank Sinatra Drive.
(4) Don't like the pillows that are closer to square-shaped than rectangle shape. Pillows for sleeping should be rectangular. Square pillows are for the couch.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank kwa829
Reviewed August 1, 2011

I stayed overnight with my family. Clean and maintained room. Kids slept on fold out couch in living area. Be sure to ask for sheets before you go up as there are none in the room for the fold out. The bed in the master bedroom was the most comfortable I have ever slept on!

Kitchen area was very nice and everything worked, spacious refrigerator and freezer. The climate control kept the room very comfortable, televisions in both rooms. The bathroom was huge, spotless and the shower had awesome pressure.

A simple but delicious breakfast was served in a great eating area- honey nut cheerios, cinnamon toast crunch, granola cereals, eggs with a side of cheesy potatoes and bacon, fresh fruit, yogurt, bagels and toast, coffee and cranberry, orange and apple juices.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank GSmith07
Reviewed April 3, 2011

When I previously visited here last year, everything was pretty good.....not so much this time around.

Tried to get the same room I had last time but it was unavailable this time around, no big deal however the room I got in its place didn't meet expectations. The room had a funny smell, broken balcony door and the A/C didn't work too well. Even more disappointing as I had to pay more to stay here then I did last time.

Otherwise everything else was the same but overall didn't have the same nice feeling as it did last time. Next time around I'll have to try another place first.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed March 20, 2011

I stay at Marriott properties about 80 nights a year. This place is an absolute dump especially given the price they charge. Worn down rooms, window screens missing or broken, dirty common areas, and poor internet service. Given all of the choices in Palm Desert, going forward this would be my last choice of where to stay in the Cochella Valley.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Toomuchtravel59
Reviewed February 18, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this Marriott for the evenings of 2/15 and 2/16/2011--week days. Prior to making our reservations, we checked the Tripadvisor's entries for this Hotel. We noted several issues and felt the Hotel "could" have had a bad day. Our room was fine–clean with no issues that others reported.. Standard HDTV issues–appeared to be an HDTV but no HD cable service–I know what HDTV is and can spot non HD service in a blink of the eye. Our rate was the Seniors Rate that INCLUDED breakfast. The first thing I do is check the temperature of the food warmers. They were COLD and the food–eggs, hash browns and sausage were cold to luke warm. I reported this to the front desk. The receptionist + "night"? Manager had a blank stare and did NOTHING about the issue. Meanwhile, many guests were just eating cold food–guess if it's free or included, they'll eat anything. Since the front desk failed to do anything, I called the Health Department to report the issue. The phone number for Riverside County is [-]. They told me that they would schedule some inspections based upon my report. This was the time to do something as writing a bad review on trip advisor is after the fact. Many Hotels do NOT read the entries. This was the case at this Marriott. Upon leaving the Hotel for the day, I spoke with Jim Zeltner, the General Manager. We told him of the issue and that many guest were leaving reviews on Tripadisior. He said he hasn't checked these entries but would. On 2/17/2011, we checked the food on the INCLUDED breakfast and one warmer was very warm and the eggs were served from the Kitchen and were hot. The hash browns and sausage could have been warner but I felt the temperature was just in the safe zone. The waitress said our meal was complimentary but in reality, it was included–not an issue. This was a rare event as Jim actually took corrective action and fixed the problem! As to the heating/cooling unit issues reported by some, it's the standard units that many Marriott's have. While some have central heating/cooling, many do not. Not a real issue but sometimes it was noisy. Just remember, if you have a problem at ANY hotel, attempt to talk to the General Manager. If that person does nothing, report the issue to the Coporate Offices. As to any late night door slaming contest--it's the other guests to blame. Many fail to understand that others are asleep--very hard for any hotel to control. We would stay here again if in the area. Thanks to Jim for fixing an issue!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple