“Good value, excellent choice, no regrets, would stay again”

Courtyard Palm Desert
Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Redmond, Washington
“Good value, excellent choice, no regrets, would stay again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

This hotel was a superb choice; it was modern, clean, and quiet . . . and I slept well. While I did not use them, the amenities were nice - a large guest laundry room, business center, fitness center, spacious but not overdone lobby, pool with a "desert palm oasis" look and feel. Good value too at $89 booked through the hotel website for a Friday night stay (and that's not the AARP rate or any other special rate), though I imagine it's more expensive during the winter than in the brutally hot month of August.

Minor complaints, but will nonetheless grant a 5-star rating because these really aren't a big deal:
(1) Upon arrival, there was nobody at the front desk. I did the "hello, hello?" thing but nobody within earshot. So I had a seat in the lobby and a few minutes later, someone came. I understand that sometimes there is only one person on duty and he or she may need to answer nature's call, but maybe they could have a "be back in a minute" sign or something . . . or have self-check-in kiosks. But you'd think at 6:30 PM (a time when one might presume a fair amount of check-in activity) there would be at least two people working the front desk.
(2) This may seem a strange complaint, but the TV in the room was too big. TV sets shoudl be properly proportioned for the size of a room. Remember when mom said sitting too close to the TV was a bad thing?
(3) It is annoying that you cannot depart the hotel property directly to westbound Frank Sinatra Drive.
(4) Don't like the pillows that are closer to square-shaped than rectangle shape. Pillows for sleeping should be rectangular. Square pillows are for the couch.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank kwa829

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Rancho Cordova, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

I stayed overnight with my family. Clean and maintained room. Kids slept on fold out couch in living area. Be sure to ask for sheets before you go up as there are none in the room for the fold out. The bed in the master bedroom was the most comfortable I have ever slept on!

Kitchen area was very nice and everything worked, spacious refrigerator and freezer. The climate control kept the room very comfortable, televisions in both rooms. The bathroom was huge, spotless and the shower had awesome pressure.

A simple but delicious breakfast was served in a great eating area- honey nut cheerios, cinnamon toast crunch, granola cereals, eggs with a side of cheesy potatoes and bacon, fresh fruit, yogurt, bagels and toast, coffee and cranberry, orange and apple juices.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank GSmith07
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2011

When I previously visited here last year, everything was pretty good.....not so much this time around.

Tried to get the same room I had last time but it was unavailable this time around, no big deal however the room I got in its place didn't meet expectations. The room had a funny smell, broken balcony door and the A/C didn't work too well. Even more disappointing as I had to pay more to stay here then I did last time.

Otherwise everything else was the same but overall didn't have the same nice feeling as it did last time. Next time around I'll have to try another place first.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2011

I stay at Marriott properties about 80 nights a year. This place is an absolute dump especially given the price they charge. Worn down rooms, window screens missing or broken, dirty common areas, and poor internet service. Given all of the choices in Palm Desert, going forward this would be my last choice of where to stay in the Cochella Valley.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Toomuchtravel59
Maricopa, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this Marriott for the evenings of 2/15 and 2/16/2011--week days. Prior to making our reservations, we checked the Tripadvisor's entries for this Hotel. We noted several issues and felt the Hotel "could" have had a bad day. Our room was fine–clean with no issues that others reported.. Standard HDTV issues–appeared to be an HDTV but no HD cable service–I know what HDTV is and can spot non HD service in a blink of the eye. Our rate was the Seniors Rate that INCLUDED breakfast. The first thing I do is check the temperature of the food warmers. They were COLD and the food–eggs, hash browns and sausage were cold to luke warm. I reported this to the front desk. The receptionist + "night"? Manager had a blank stare and did NOTHING about the issue. Meanwhile, many guests were just eating cold food–guess if it's free or included, they'll eat anything. Since the front desk failed to do anything, I called the Health Department to report the issue. The phone number for Riverside County is [-]. They told me that they would schedule some inspections based upon my report. This was the time to do something as writing a bad review on trip advisor is after the fact. Many Hotels do NOT read the entries. This was the case at this Marriott. Upon leaving the Hotel for the day, I spoke with Jim Zeltner, the General Manager. We told him of the issue and that many guest were leaving reviews on Tripadisior. He said he hasn't checked these entries but would. On 2/17/2011, we checked the food on the INCLUDED breakfast and one warmer was very warm and the eggs were served from the Kitchen and were hot. The hash browns and sausage could have been warner but I felt the temperature was just in the safe zone. The waitress said our meal was complimentary but in reality, it was included–not an issue. This was a rare event as Jim actually took corrective action and fixed the problem! As to the heating/cooling unit issues reported by some, it's the standard units that many Marriott's have. While some have central heating/cooling, many do not. Not a real issue but sometimes it was noisy. Just remember, if you have a problem at ANY hotel, attempt to talk to the General Manager. If that person does nothing, report the issue to the Coporate Offices. As to any late night door slaming contest--it's the other guests to blame. Many fail to understand that others are asleep--very hard for any hotel to control. We would stay here again if in the area. Thanks to Jim for fixing an issue!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Glendale, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2011

For a mid-sized budget sleeping spot, I must say that the staff here must think they are working at the Ritz (never been there, reference for emphasis more than accuracy).

All three desk people I dealt with went above and beyond what you should expect from that position. Honestly, the nicest people I talked with the entire weekend (and I visited family!).

We had a very clean spa-suite on the first floor, near one of the back entrances. It was very close to the pool, and though more of a walk to the lobby, the place is really not that big.

The spa was clean and in working order, the bed was very comfortable and the walls seemed to be sufficiently thick.

The lobby area was nice and clean, as was the pool and workout room (small but served its purpose).

And breakfast was decent, though I would never pay the $12 they charged. It came with our package.

My only issue was about the room layout. I believe this to be partially my fault, but I booked a "spa suite with king bed". Am I wrong to assume that a "suite" includes a division between the bedroom and the living area? Well, there was none. In fact, there was no living area - I assume that is what the hot tub was.

I may have been led astray by other discount sites (orbitz, etc.) that may have stated that there was a separate living area, but this was a key requirement for us. I sincerely hoped to enjoy some adult time with my wife after our young son went to bed. The trade off of a family bath was still quite fun, but the room was simply not what I thought I was getting. Further, the confirmation from the hotel clearly stated "Spa Suite with King Bed". This either continued to mislead me after reading other websites or was enough for me to assume I was getting something I was not.

This confusion was enough for management to give me a small but acceptable discount on my rate. Again, another wonderful moment of customer service.

If you need a place to crash, you that and a little more here at the Courtyard.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Seanemac007
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2010

We have stayed here on a few occasions but this time Marriott seem to be trying to cut corners to save money..hardly any staff...one bar of soap for a room with a spa bath wash basin and shower
The breakfast has to the worst w have had in the U S...come on Marriott if you want return business don't skimp

• Stayed December 2010