“I stayed during Coachella”

Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Aldine
“I stayed during Coachella”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I was pretty nervous reading the reviews months before I got to the actual place but it was great to me. They are timeshares so its basically like away from everything. The walk to the JW Marriott was only a few minutes so if you need food or whatever you go there. The room was great, it wasnt noisy, and it was beautiful in the back. Awesome shower and I only found one cricket in the tub. He was a cutie. Anywho, loved the stay and the bed was soft.

Room Tip: I didnt get to spa but im sure its awesome. Rooms in the 9900's are quiet and secluded. make sur...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
Carmel, Indiana
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Loved the beautifully manicured grounds & convenience of The Marriott Palm Desert Resort. El Paseo Dr. is a short drive from the resort & provides some good shopping as well as a variety of good restaurants. Overall, Marriott Desert Springs is best suited for golfers. Only negative is there is really only one large pool area for the Villas and it's always packed with lots of kids. Overall, would return but not during spring break. .

Room Tip: The villas do not have elevators so if you or your guests do not do stairs, reserve a ground level u...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
New York
Reviewed April 19, 2013

This property is gorgeous, but that's about it. The villas very well appointed, however there is little to no sound proofing at all. It's a cheaply constructed faux structure. The noise from the other guests in the villas was as if we were all sharing one big room. I could hear the guest in the next villa snoring and passing gas during the night from our bedroom. You could hear anybody using the bathroom in the quite of night. While comical it made for a less than a good nights sleep. I would also get calls at all hours about Marriott Vacation Club promotions. It was non-stop. One at 9:40 PM to ask me to come to a mixer with other guests to hear about time share opportunities. I get it and have no problem with them trying to sell their shares, but 9:40 PM? Check out time is very early. 10:00 a.m. At 10:00 and 30 seconds as I was leaving my room, my phone rang, no hello or identification, just a women saying "Are you checking out?" Again a beautiful place, but I would have to rethink another visit or purchasing a vacation club membership as the shoddy construction and noise from other units is just too much for such an expensive resort. No customer service whatsoever. Not at all like the Marriott resorts I've stayed in prior and that was surprising.

Room Tip: The property is beautiful. The common areas and pool can be quite a hike depending on where you are...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
InTheKnow
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Beyond words... too many things were below standard.

1. First, the price is exhorbitant so, one naturally expects superior standards but...

2. Check-in is NO EARLIER than 4pm which cuts one's day's schedule in half.
3. The rooms are either on the ground floor or on the second with no elevator and no help to carry your luggage up. We had asked for a ground floor unit but got the second floor!
4. The rooms (not villas, please!) are scattered across a huge expanse of grounds (the golf course) and one must have a car to get to one's assigned "villa".
5. The standard king bedded room is tiny and exactly like the "king" picture provided buy another reviewer: the king bed takes up most of the room, then they squeeze a fat sofa in the corner by the door to the deck which I'm assuming opens into a bed but if opened, it would take up the remaining walking space and totally block the exit to the deck.The room is small for two and certainly cannot accomodate additional people.The sofa is way too big for the space in that corner and the room would do better with a good desk there instead. A tiny round table with two chairs are located on the opposite wall from the sofa and that is the only horizontal surface available for work.
6. Checkout is at 10am!!! (...and they still can't get organized for an earlier checkin!)
7. There are virtually no amenities in the bathroom. Even the toilet paper is cheap.
8. Not the smallest effort is made to make guests feel pampered in any way. The only people Marrott Int'l really cares about is its shareholders, judging by the cheap toilet paper and the uneasy feeling that you're being taken.

We had just come from another hotel, not far away, much smaller but with an equally grand setting, where we had triple the space for half the money and bathrobes, whirlpool and breakfast were included. Now THAT was luxury and amazing value! This Marriott is neither luxurious nor comfortable and it was a huge letdown.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank InTheKnow
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 14, 2013

OK, so this is at least my THIRD "poor" designation for a Marriott-run hotel. The check-in desk was helpless as well as unhelpful. They could not change, upgrade or vary our reservation even though we wanted to pay more for a better room. They told US to call their central reservation line, which is exactly what we wanted to do after driving for 4 hours and standing in line at check-in for 20 minutes.

Marriott - what is going on with your corporation? The Georgetown Ritz-Carlton was a mess (see my review of earlier in April), the Timber Lodge Resort in Lake Tahoe was awful (see my review of December 25, 2011), and now the Desert Springs Villas are disappointing - mainly because your employees fail to provide good service.

If Marriott executives traveled in disguise to see what was happening at these supposedly exclusive hotels/resorts, they would be horrified.

Stay somewhere else unless you have small children and are desperate.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Discerning12385
San Diego, CA
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We recently stayed here for five nights. We were in an efficiency room, with a small refrigerator, microwave and coffee pot. We were in the "Jasmine Court" section, which has a separate entrance. The pool was nice, although somewhat crowded with small children, as it was spring break. We went to the spa at the nearby Marriott Hotel, where we found tranquility (at a price)!
The villas are centrally located, close to everything in Palm Desert. The grounds are well-maintained, nice but not luxurious. If I stayed here again, I would ask for an upstairs room, as the balconies look nice.

Room Tip: Upstairs are probably nicer. Ask for a room with a golf course view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kevmosd
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 8, 2013

If you're going to book to stay at this complex, you might want to check that they don't have building work going on.

We stayed at the Resort & Spa hotel the previous year and they had building work going on for the duration of our 2 week stay with the pool unusable so we decided to try the villa complex this time. How disappointed we were....... More building work going on but this time to the suites in front of us and to the side of us. I purposely asked for a quiet room as I was recovering from some recent surgery. There must have been so much building work going on that this request couldn't be acknowledged.

My husband and I always book Marriots but after two bad experiences, our loyalty has been tested.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas I
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

Been to Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II? Share your experiences!