“Middle of Restoration”

Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Seattle, Washington
“Middle of Restoration”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

A very nice property but many units are being updated and the construction crews are loud and all over the place. No elevator to the second floor units is an inconvenience and tough for those with heavy luggage. The interior was very nice and the appliances were all brand new. We would stay there again but only after the renovations are complete and only if we could be assured of a ground floor unit.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

The facility was beautiful. Our villa backed onto the golf course and the setting was wonderful. Everything was well maintained and modern. They had finished extensive re-furbishing of our unit and were working hard to refurbish other ones while we were there.
For the price of the accommodation, there was virtually no service. We rented our unit from a time-share owner for the week and are not familiar with the time-share routine, so maybe its normal to have no maid service for 7 days? For $490/night list price (we paid less than $100) you would expect maid service. After 4 days, I called requesting clean towels and was told that there is a $7 fee for new towels. Sure, not a lot of money, but even $65/night hotels give you fresh towels and wash clothes daily.
The other thing that irked us was the attitude of the other guests. Many of the time share "owners" looked down their noses at us lowly "renters". In reality they don't own the place either.
There was one pool right next to a playground, so naturally we would take our 2 year old to that pool so we could go to the playground as well. As soon as we set up our towels, the other guests flocked away. Several of them told us that children, should be at one of the other pools. Generally the attitude was a bit snobby there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Vybrus
Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband and I and another couple travel extensively together and have stayed at other Marriott timeshare properties. Marriott consistently provides a pleasant, if not luxury, experience in its timeshare units. On the other hand, one should rightly expect a more special experience in a JW Marriott hotel-related property. This was not the case at the Desert Springs.

Certainly, the Marriott Vacation Club properties are separate from the hotels, but it is disappointing to have thin towels, a dishwasher that was sub-par, slow service, a meager supply of kitchen utensils, old and cheap-looking pool chairs, tidying only once a week and no new towels mid-week except for a fee, floors seeming to be clean but quite dirty really when you wiped a spill up and noticed the basic dirt beyond your spill, and other disappointments.

The setting, adjacent to the JW Marriott hotel and the golf course, is lovely and the grounds are certainly well maintained. It is clear that the units, which seem to be on the old side, have had some upgrades, and that is appreciated. The bed was very comfortable and the bathrooms very luxurious. Our check-in was swift and people were very nice--a real positive at all the Marriotts, the friendliness of the staff it hires. The little market had Starbuck's and all the major national papers, both real pluses to us.

All in all, an OK place that was comfortable and met our needs, but not on a par with what one would expect at a JW Marriott property.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
SPRING HILL FLORIDA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed here last summer after a fun-filled driving tour of California with the kids.Nice place to cool our heels.
This property deserves salutations.Everything was absolutely perfect.The spacious rooms outdo themselves.Everything screams 'class!'.Seriously. (not boring history class,either).
Art niches, high inset ceilings,quality floorings,solid doors,thermal panes,a huge king bed,serious lighting,a balcony with real,padded and COMFORTABLE furniture,a beautiful view of the mountains,BBQ,golf, and everything worked.ALL facilities were nearby.We LIVED at the pool,in the water with a cold drink or burger in hand from the nearby bar/grill.Need I say more? We even ended up buying a Marriott timeshare as a result of our experience here.Bye bye,Wyndham and all of their rules and ever-changing fees.We sold both of them.Marriott rules!
An absolutely perfect stay with NO problems.

Room Tip: If you go during the summer,bring lots of sunblock,be ready to get a tan and spend your time in the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank steve34609
Glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

I read all the reviews posted on this site and for the adjacent Marriott resort. I have to ask- what is it that people want? I mean- what do they expect?
We checked in - no problem. Reception staff were polite , helpful - couldn't be nicer. Gave me a map of the area, told me where things and places were to be found...and off we went.
Found our way to the apartment. Opened the door. It smelled clean and fresh, tidy , attractive- just what we needed for the four of us. There was my myself, my wife (we bagged the main bedroom) and my grown up son and his wife (sorry kids but they got a smaller self contained apartment area)- still perfectly nice for a weeks holiday.
Found the local pool just nearby and a heated jacuzzi - all fine, clean, with towels there.
The whole resort was lovely, not at all tired looking like some other timeshare resorts we've been to (non Marriott ones particularly).
Ok: it doesn't have the kind of eating facilities that we wanted on site. So we either bought pick up meals that we ordered and took home, or we went to a restaurant in Palm desert or we went for casual evening eating to the adjacent Marriott resort where as Marriott timeshare owners we got a very decent discount on meals. Particularly good value this way was the Rockwood restaurant, where we went twice. Very nice menu.and food was good quality, well cooked- like I say; what do you expect?
We don't golf, but plenty people do and they looked from our balcony that they were having a good time. There were facilities all day for kids to be active, but that didn't matter to us as we didn't bring any. But our son and daughter in law enjoyed just hanging around the pool area or walking on the resorts grounds- which is a pretty huge area.
Negatives ; none really. I was a bit underwhelmed about the prices at the spa. these are about 2x what we are used to paying in the UK for similar quality, but the prices are the same pretty much in all the hotels and resorts that we looked at in California, so not a particular criticism of Marriott's spa. We gave that a miss at these prices.The weather was variable, some days only 58F and others up to 75 but we couldn't blame Marriott for that- our week was just one of these not so wonderful weather weeks in January that happens sometimes wherever you go. On the cooler days we went to the Outlet Mall- lots to buy there, and just walking about Desert Springs. There were some Craft Fairs to visit too. A climb in Indian Canyon was fun and a test of our endurance. No big deal- about three miles round trip, but walking up and uphill for half of that.
We lounged about and read for a while on the balcony or at pool area. Breakfast was themeal we ate in each day and had a couple of lunches when we stayed on our balcony. Ralphs supermarket nearby provided plenty of choice of things to put in the fridge. Also recomment Cafe des Artists for dinner. Not too expensive and good food (we're not talking Michelin star stuff, just a local eaterie). BUt there are tons of eating places to suit all tastes. Eating is not one of our main hobbies, so we were ok with relatively straightforward meals.
All in all we had a great week. Will definitely return another time. I just don't understand what so many people find to complain about...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank casata
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Timeshare was nice. The pool was great for the kids. A little chilly for December, but kids had fun. The recreation building was great for indoor play with two Wii's, internet area for teens and outdoor climbing wall. The wall is not high but it is fairly wide.

• Stayed December 2012
San Diego, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

I consider myself a pretty patient person. I gave Marriott 3 opportunities to impress me with from every indication (online) is a great place to stay.

Service: Every time, and I mean *every*. single. time.....we checked in the room wasn't ready. Dead bugs or ants on the floors, cobwebs on the lamps, HAIR on the pillows. Come ON Marriott. The 3rd time we went, they gave us the wrong room keys, it was 120 outside and it took them 45 minutes to get us new keys. Prompt! When I booked the room on our second visit, I wanted to surprise my wife with food and champagne so I ordered it with the room and told them when we were checking in. Nothing was ready, no food, no champagne. Pathetic.

Environment: Decent. The pool temps are consistently, ludicrously high. I would wager somewhere between 86-88 degrees. Why bother with the hot tub? Good luck cooling off if it's hot outside. The rooms (if clean) are nice looking. I enjoyed watching bunnies scamper around on the golf course in the afternoons. Nice greens and barbeque pits. I was able to sleep well here, I didn't find it terribly noisy.

Overall: Absolutely NOT worth the price. I will never return. If I'm dropping ~$350-400 a night, there are FAR better places to stay in Palm Desert/Springs. Until they roll over management or the housekeeping staff this place is an dud.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas I
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

Been to Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II? Share your experiences!