“Rude front desk”

Holiday Inn Express Palm Desert / Rancho Mirage
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Palm Desert
Reviewed March 12, 2010

The front desk clerk argued with me when I asked why our room had not been cleaned. She told me there was a do not disturb sign on the door when in fact there was not. At 8:30 AM the maid knocked on our door and I said we would be leaving the room soon, and to come back in a few minutes. She did not speak english so I assume she didn't understand me. Reguardless the creep at the front desk just started telling me it was my fault and did nothing to try and see if I needed anything. Overall the place needs some sprucing up.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank sanderHoliday

Reviewed March 7, 2010

First the positives -- building is set back from the highway so very quiet. Location in Palm Desert is great as far as I am concerned -- just east of the El Paseo district and the mall and other retail. Front desk service was fine and the room was spotless and well appointed ( a little small but we had a big discount so no complaints there).

A couple qualified negatives -- nice variety of foods for breakfast but eggs and sausage are not restaurant quality. Tennis court needs sprucing up to match the attractiveness of the rest of the site.

More details:

Room -- Drapes were perfectly clean and there was no hint of smoke odor during our stay. First floor rooms have a nice little patio (not private) and upper floors have balconies. We were disappointed that there were no L.A. channels on the TV (wanted to see the Laker game). There were two premium channels (HBO and HBO family) along with the usual basic cable stuff -- lots of sports. The TV is on a swivel so it would be very easy to hook up a portable DVD player. Beds were comfortable. Bathroom has a fan but no heater / heat lamp.

Breakfast -- Eggs seemed like they were re-constituted; sausage was fine. The cinnamon rolls are quite good. There were mini-muffins, bagels, and bread to toast -- but a not a big selection. The milk in my wife's carton was very spoiled though no one else seemed to have that problem.

Pools and exercise room -- didn't check those out....

Neighborhood -- right next door to a Best Western; full service grocery across the street and several fast food, pizza, and coffee shop type restaurants close by.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2010

We got a good deal through Hotwire who claimed this to be a three star hotel. While the outside of the hotel and lobby are very nicely appointed, our room was quirky and more like a two star establishment. Nothing special. All the rooms were supposed to be non-smoking, but ours definitely smelled like smoke. My guess is someone nearby was smoking on their small patio and it wafted in.

Breakfast was just OK, and though they keep the coffee carafes in the lobby stocked all day, the coffee was awful. To me the staff was polite, but not overly welcoming. Perhaps we were pegged as Hotwire customers?

Funny story: on our way to check out the elevator wouldn't come to the third floor. Turns out it was getting serviced, so we had to lug our bags down two flights of stairs. No one offered to help us. Basically we got what we paid for.

Reviewed February 21, 2010

Our stay at the Holiday Inn Express was wonderful! Jay, the manager, was available and on-site, checking the breakfast bar, speaking with guests, and making certain all was well! We asked for the tennis court to be cleaned, and the court was blown and cleared of leaves by 10:00--our playing time!! We asked for a late check-out, and we were accommodated. Rooms were clean, beds comfortable, and all connected with the hotel were friendly and willing to help with any requests. There are restaurants within walking and driving distance, and offer a varied menu. All 4 of us will return to stay again!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 17, 2010

My husband and I travel frequently and I have never written a review, but I would like to take the time to applaud this hotel.

From the minute we checked in, every employee that we came in contact with was both friendly and helpful. We are tennis players and try to stay at hotels with courts. My husband went down early one morning to check the court out and found that there were fallen leaves all over it. I called the front desk to ask them if it was possible to blow the court off. When we walked down to the court to hit ten minutes later, it was spotless. The complimentary hot breakfast was also well stocked and so much nicer than the standard "continental breakfast" and the hotel common areas, the rooms, the grounds, and the pool area were spotless!!

I would like to thank Jay and the rest of his staff for being so accommodating!! This will be a "long weekend" destination for us frequently!!

Reviewed February 17, 2010

We enjoyed our two night stay at the Holiday inn express. The grounds outside are impeccable, the lobby is attractive, staff seems nice, and the room was, well, roomy. The bed was king-size and there was room for a desk and a sofa. My husband fell asleep on the sofa, watching the Olympics, so he made himself at home. Sofa=good. The breakfast was so-so, but if you make decent choices, eggs, wheat toast, yogurt, it didn't have to be a carb-fest. And it saved us a few bucks. Free wireless worked like a charm. The bathroom was a little tired, but very clean. Triple-sheets on the bed? Always good. Location was good, we were able to reach everything in a few minutes. The pool was clean, not crowded and a pleasure. We paid $159 for Sat. and $139 for Sunday. A little pricey, hence my rating of 3 on value, but overall a nice place. I'd recommend it.

Reviewed December 2, 2009

We are a Holiday Inn "Priority Club Member" and have NEVER been treated so appallingly bad in the 5 years we have been a member.
The hotel itself is OK but the General Manager, Jay Mitchell ... (--) is perhaps the most inept, rudest and incompetent manager my wife and I have ever come across in our travels.
Perhaps it is his winning personality, when telling me that being charged 6 TIMES on my debit card for a one night stay... is not that common, but happens!!
Perhaps it is his winning negotiation skills, when telling me that a person experiencing SERIOUS FRAUDULENT Charges/PROBLEMS, should be charged for the one night stay just like a person experiencing NO problems. Thus, NO COMPENSATION will be forthcoming!!!
Perhaps it is his winning style, to insult and demand more banking information to verify that our "bounced fees" (due to the overcharges of being charged 6 times - almost $500 was being held "pending" in our bank account causing 3 checks to bounce! Oh, sure we're going to give you more banking info!! - Please help yourself!!
Perhaps it is his winning denial that the desk clerk didn't EVER have access to our banking debit card, even after we explained that we handed it to her upon checking out and she not only charged us for the night's stay, but then ran our card a 2nd time for $120.00 of which she pocketed!!
This general manager, Jay Mitchell denied that this EVER happened because according to his records this transaction NEVER took place, but he did admit that 5 other erroneous transactions took place against our debit card, but still WOULD NOT credit our account.
It took a total of 5 hours of my wife and I speaking with Luis (comptroller), Luis' assistant and Jay Mitchell to finally get 5 of these charges reversed.
We had to go to our bank and spend at least 2 hours there going over this debit card account, our bank calling these same people and providing records, transactions dates and amounts of which they continued to deny ever were being charged.
Our bank faxed over the records and even with concrete evidence, these same people continued to deny this being a fact.
When my wife contacted the Palm Desert Police to report a "theft", then and only then, did Jay Mitchell then state to me that he would take ALL the charges off and apologized for the problem.
Of course you would think the problems stop there, but OH, NO! Yes, the erroneous charges were removed (I guess Mr. Mitchell thought he was doing us a favor!) But then the hotel charge for our stay, that we were told would be comp'd WASN'T!!
When I called and spoke to Jay Mitchell, he then denied that he ever said that and because we did, in fact, stay at the hotel, we legitimately owed for that night's stay!!
I guess our time, our bank's time is NOT worth a thing. I guess being charged 6 times for a one-night stay is just part of doing business with this hotel.
Needless to say, I've alerted the police to the fraud going on there (unfortunately, if anyone else experiences a problem, there will a chain of evidence created, ie: police report).
I have contacted the local Chamber of Commerce and Better Business Bureau as well as Holiday Inn Headquarters.
At the very least this general manager, Jay Mitchell should be fired and our money for the one-night stay be refunded.
Needless to say, we have canceled our "Priority Club Membership" and will NOT provide any further banking information to this company. We have canceled our Debit / Credit Card as well.
In the meantime, if anyone else has experienced anything like this (or you may want to re-check your credit card records) we will put you in contact with our attorney for a possible legal remedy - class action lawsuit. You may contact us ANYTIME, through this website email address.
We can highly recommend the Best Western Hotel Las Brisas in downtown Palm Springs. They have quality service and a great night life, all within walking distance of the Hotel. We have stayed here many, many times (without incident) and only stopped when we became a Holiday Inn card carrying "Priority Club Member".
Good luck to all... and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!
Grant & Sharon Woods

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Azre2003
HIEPalmDesert, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Palm Desert / Rancho Mirage, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2009

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review about the hotel. I am sorry that your review is not a positive one. It is our goal at the hotel for our guest to experience a clean room and a problem free stay. As you have mentioned you are extremely dissatisfied with the hotels billing practices and service that you received at the hotel. I am sorry to hear that you also did not receiver the compensation that you found acceptable. Our management team has reviewed your comments and will take your feedback very seriously. Thank you for sharing your comments and concerns.

Jay Mitchell